News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: The SNES preservation project is undead  (Read 4691 times)

MathUser2929

• View Profile
Re: 100 PAL games held up in USPS for 1 1/2 months; any ideas?
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2017, 05:07:46 pm »
He won't even tell regular USPS workers his tracking number? He demands seniors executives be the only ones that look into his case? They probably paid 5 dollars for shipping and he wants special treatment.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 05:48:50 pm by MathUser2929 »

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2017, 05:34:19 pm »
Bad as this seems to be turning out... Day in, day out, USPS is doing extra work for free that most other postal services across the world are expected to charge for.
Myself I've never paid one lousy cent in customs duty to USPS, or been asked to, when importing a video game.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2017, 06:10:58 pm »
Just looked for that Ebay listing again, and... It's gone.

Sleepy's tune of the week: Budgie - Nude Disintegrating Parachutist Woman - https://youtu.be/N5V3Tizxm7A

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2017, 03:49:44 am »
Just being curious - wasn't this just acase of visiting custms to clear the package, paying some import fees?

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2017, 11:58:25 am »
Just being curious - wasn't this just acase of visiting custms to clear the package, paying some import fees?

Maybe, I'm not aware of USPS to date having ever actually charged import fees on a video game.
Edit: rephrased to sound less hyperbole.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 12:18:13 pm by tc »

hex_usr

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2017, 03:26:42 pm »
byuu just wrote an article to answer the common questions he has received on Reddit and NesDev. Things like why he won't give out his tracking number and all that.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2017, 03:36:12 pm »
I bet in a few months the package will end up showing up at his door after being in the USPS version of limbo.  :thumbsup:
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

hex_usr

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2017, 03:52:18 pm »
While that's certainly a possibility, byuu has no intention of waiting for a possibility that might never occur.

Did you know that there are stories of packages that have been completely smashed up before arriving? Even if a package does eventually arrive after many months of limbo, there's no guarantee that it will be intact.

It's better to start the reimbursement process now, and if a miracle occurs and the package makes it there intact, byuu will probably be refunded for those reimbursements after sending it back to the sender.

EDIT: Oh yeah, this story is on Eurogamer now. Watch out for the comments, though; they're about as toxic as GameFAQs.

w1ck3d

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2017, 08:34:51 pm »
Unless he paid the additional fee to have his package expedited, it could simply be held-up by U.S. Customs and Border Protection. The fact that it was "checked" (delayed) before leaving Germany does not guarantee it will not be "checked" here, as I have dealt with packages that have been "checked" by customs agents out-bound and in-bound.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2017, 09:56:02 am »
Customs can be a bitch and a half.  At least the US isn't as bad (sometimes) as say... Belgium.

EDIT: Oh yeah, this story is on Eurogamer now. Watch out for the comments, though; they're about as toxic as GameFAQs.
I'm surprised it took this long for journos to smell it, the auction itself got a good bit of noteriety.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2017, 09:58:28 am »
It's on destructoid too.

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2017, 10:05:07 am »
Is byuu even physically capable of doing anything without massive drama?
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

rainponcho

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2017, 11:51:55 am »
With any (domestic, international) shipment I've dealt with, sender is the one who has to raise a fuss about delivery problems, even it claims they left it at the front door/garage/back porch/trash can/someone else's house. Or when it gets stuck at a USPS ISC terminal into/out USA.

100 games = bulk cargo weight? Not sure how that routes around.

I'm sure byuu has heard of all this by now, so doesn't mean much.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2017, 03:30:46 pm »
Wow, 10 days since the last update and it's already cancelled?
Why the rush? I would give it until March tops for it to show up, no need to hurry and call it quits already.
Shit happens and certainly package and mail services are mostly a pain in the ass, more so for expensive/bulky stuff.

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2017, 05:35:10 pm »
Lol at this whole thing, maybe don't be such an idiot when shipping valuable stuff like this without the proper fail safes in place. I do feel bad for the guy who got scammed by byuu though, was he/she even getting anything out of this for his trouble?

Anyway if byuu starts asking for people to help by "donating" money, then this is definitely a scam. Watch him get money, then weeks later the games show up and he's got the cash...

snarfblam

• Submission Reviewer
  • CANT HACK METROID
    • View Profile
    • snarfblam
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2017, 05:55:25 pm »
I do feel bad for the guy who got scammed by byuu though

However you may feel about byuu, how about not making public accusations you can't substantiate, huh?

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2017, 06:06:30 pm »
I do feel bad for the person, but they weren't scammed by byuu, but by whoever took off with the carts in shipping.
Someone offered to lend byuu the carts. They wanted to lend byuu them so he could dump/photograph/etc. whatever he needed to do to make sure their hardware was properly documented. Making a contribution to that (as what byuu had done with the full North American set, and has planned to do with the full Japanese set he has obtained) was what they were "getting" out of the deal.

byuu had said the reason he doesn't buy the games himself is that he said a full PAL SNES collection (I assume that is even if he collected just one copy of each game, not getting into all revisions/country variants. As before he said he would not hunt down specific revisions.) would be the most expensive to buy despite having the fewest games (than the other two major regions). He would have otherwise limited his database to thus just the NA and Japan games.
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

hex_usr

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2017, 06:16:19 pm »
Kotaku has taken notice:

http://kotaku.com/10k-worth-of-snes-games-goes-missing-in-the-mail-1792409527

But unfortunately, it does contain an inaccuracy:
Quote from: Nathan Grayson
he confesses that he and Smarthuman could’ve done a little more to try and end up safe, rather than sorry. They didn’t split up the deliveries in such a way that they could insure packages for their full value, and Byuu’s kicking himself for that.
byuu never blamed the sender (hereafter known as "Smarthuman") at all. Smarthuman had no choice in which American mail delivery system DHL chose to receive the package.

Quote from: byuu
I never put blame on Smarthuman. This was absolutely not his fault at all.

**I** am the one who suggested 100 games per shipment to reduce shipping costs. I thought that was a good amortization of risk (instead of sending all 400 at once), but failed to account for the fact that replacing even 100 games would be a real challenge.

I should have said 50 games at a time. As both Smarthuman and I have explained already, there were reasons we couldn't just drop $10,000 of insurance on the package.

This is entirely my fault. All Smarthuman did was trust me with a huge amount of his valuable games. And no matter what, I will get them all back to him, even if I have to rebuy each and every one of them myself.

EDIT: Oh, and in case you're wondering if byuu is trying to scam everyone, here's what he said on Reddit:

Quote from: byuu
My fear is that I set up the page right now, collect $8000, and then someone at USPS contacts me and locates my package.
Now I have $8000 of peoples' money and the games. And I don't know for certain that these platforms will allow me to easily do full refunds. This thought terrifies me.
Besides, I already have 30% of the internet thinking this is an elaborate scam I've been working on for thirteen years to make two months' pay :P
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 06:57:05 pm by hex_usr »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2017, 10:22:21 pm »
Have to feel bad for byuu once KOTAKU has publicly aired this situation (pushing it beyond a couple small forums).
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2017, 12:54:44 am »
Have to feel bad for byuu once KOTAKU has publicly aired this situation (pushing it beyond a couple small forums).

I can only hope the internet tries to be mature enough to understand what's at stake. The value of these stolen items pushes it into a felony, and the party responsible is potentially subject for a terrifyingly real reward of years in prison.