News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Random Final Fantasy 1 NES lore question/possible expansion  (Read 2198 times)

Duke2go

• View Profile
    • Final Fantasy Reconstructed
Random Final Fantasy 1 NES lore question/possible expansion
« on: February 10, 2017, 11:22:48 pm »

(Hi Dr. Nick)  :thumbsup: :laugh: :beer: :thumbsup: :happy: :laugh:

Sorry, love of the Simpsons caught hold.

So while I was fine tuning the narrative for Final Fantasy Reconstructed, it just randomly hit me...

Why was the TNT locked away in Coneria Castle to the point that it had to be SEALED BEHIND A MAGICAL DOOR to keep people from getting at it...

There is a thin story thread that actually might be worth exploring... I've been trying to shape my narrative where the Castle of Ordeals was more akin to the Darkside Cave on Dagobah in Empire and expand the story and lore a little bit so things make more sense. I was just imagining, what if the Dwarves were using TNT recklessly, or maybe that was how the Temple of Fiends was reduced to ruin, the sages were conducting experiments that blew it to pieces and it was deemed too unstable to use any more. I'm really perplexed why I had never thought of it before, and since it was more a question about Final Fantasy 1 than specific to my project, I started a thread so that I could hear what you all thought as well. Feel free to comment, I might even shift the narrative in the game to reflect your thoughts.  :beer:

Duke
Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence...

http://www.ffreconstructed.com/
https://www.facebook.com/finalfantasyreconstructed/

Kallisto

• View Profile
Re: Random Final Fantasy 1 NES lore question/possible expansion
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 12:20:29 am »
The beauty of FF1 that it has a lot of mystery, and some of it was answered in Dissidia, but not all of it. I've known some fan game developers that had attempted to create a prequel, but looks like they put the project on hiatus.

Duke2go

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 07:02:46 am »
The beauty of FF1 that it has a lot of mystery, and some of it was answered in Dissidia, but not all of it. I've known some fan game developers that had attempted to create a prequel, but looks like they put the project on hiatus.

Dissidia (1/2) are games I've never played, but have found very helpful for getting a bit more insight into the characters and their motivations. I had been pulling different NPC sprites from the game to expand the text, and the game's lore, and kind of 'fill in the blanks' a bit. Since I was going to use the Castle of Ordeals in the way I described earlier, I thought I might have the players visit a few locations from the past, kind of like ghostly apparitions seeing history but not being able to intervene. I came up with a cool way to expand upon Garland's madness/motivations a bit already, so when I started thinking about the 'tnt' being locked in Coneria's magic vault, I was intrigued. Definitely agree with you about the beauty of the simpler story than the later games. Re-crafting a narrative is difficult to say the least... Thanks for the input, and check out the Reconstructed thread, the Facebook page, or the website if you'd like to learn more.

Duke :beer:
Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence...

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 01:09:33 pm »
I think it's just so that you have to go to the Marsh Cave before you can escape the Aldi Sea.

resq

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 02:18:46 pm »
Here's a random idea - in the elf cave put graphics of gold in there coming out of the walls. Because talking to the elves they always say 'Gold!' but there isn't any gold . . I'm like what gold, invisible gold? It would be neat if you could see the gold they're yelling about.

'Course you'd have to make extra sprites or whatever. Just an idea since you're adding all kinds of new stuff . . ;D
Come with me if you want to live.

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
  • Madge, I want your body! 'harry your a beast!11'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 07:07:18 pm »
Because talking to the elves they always say 'Gold!' but there isn't any gold . . I'm like what gold, invisible gold? It would be neat if you could see the gold they're yelling about.

...What line of dialogue are you referring to?

resq

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 08:29:12 pm »
...What line of dialogue are you referring to?
You know, I thought I was wrong about that. It's probably something from a dang hack that I played - Final Fantasy Epica maybe.

Talk to the elf in the cave and he's all like, " . . Gold! . ."
Come with me if you want to live.

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 11:47:39 am »
You know, I thought I was wrong about that. It's probably something from a dang hack that I played - Final Fantasy Epica maybe.

Talk to the elf in the cave and he's all like, " . . Gold! . ."

I do not recall meeting an Elf in a Cave in FF1...they exists solely in Villages, Northwest Castle, and Elf Castle, so far as I knew?

The Marsh Cave is *near* Elfland? But there are only bats in it to talk to...

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 01:46:40 pm »
I just want an explanation for why that one blasted old guy standing in a circle with a bunch of other old guys has the only canoe in the entire world.

Like, maybe it's a magic canoe and they're conducting a magic ritual to make it magical and for some reason the ritual specifically targets whoever is standing in the magic-canoe-position, as ordained by the gods before time was time.  Or something.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 02:28:00 pm »
I don't know how the warriors can carry 99 houses.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 05:02:05 pm »
They're metaphorical houses.  Like, elaborate works of art and entertainment that can make even the most dreary campsite feel like home, somehow.  Yeah, that's it.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 09:19:27 pm »
[RHDN][Final Fantasy 1]
[Missed!]

Duke2go

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 10:12:20 pm »
I just want an explanation for why that one blasted old guy standing in a circle with a bunch of other old guys has the only canoe in the entire world.

Like, maybe it's a magic canoe and they're conducting a magic ritual to make it magical and for some reason the ritual specifically targets whoever is standing in the magic-canoe-position, as ordained by the gods before time was time.  Or something.

I kind of fixed that from a certain perspective in Reconstructed. I added the "Ancient Library" where the Sages and Dr. Unne are, but one of the NPCs by the item shop in Crescent Lake congratulates the players and gives them the canoe to visit areas they couldn't reach previously. Might add a line of dialogue in Melmond indicating that canoes were popular in Crescent Lake or something for those who aren't familiar with the vanilla game, if there really are any of those types interested in a rom hack at least haha.