News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: "Light Gimmick!"  (Read 2275 times)

Berion

• View Profile
"Light Gimmick!"
« on: February 06, 2017, 11:39:25 am »
With Dizzy9, we starting another Gimmick! hack. ;) It will be much easier than Dark Gimmick! so I hope no one will have troubles at least with finishing game (secrets are still well hidden).

This time we will change much more than tables, implementing ASM mods like new levels, shop, and two additional power ups.

Screenshots:

Demo#1 v0.5b (no ASM extras in this version as they are still to much bugged and unfinished). Mapper is already extended and levels compressed. First 4 levels hacked and player can finish game including good ending (and yeah, secret item on stage 1 is damn well hidden ^^).
http://www.bwass.org/bucket/light_gimmick_demo1.zip

CRC32 checksums:
original: 68CD9911
patched: AD649858

known bugs:
  • On LV3 bugs are not flying into hole (that's why when player exit see glitched graphics (bugs are in bank incompatible with the with perl)).
  • On LV4 after going through tunnel with spike rail-car, collision barrier is still exist so temporary enter is from below level.
  • HUD is glitched and not swapping pallets.
Enjoy of current demo. I counting on some feedback. ^^
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 11:56:52 am by Berion »

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
Re: "Light Gimmick!"
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 01:49:52 pm »
I like the concept - an easier Gimmick is something that needs to happen. but I do NOT like the background colors you're using. Everything looks washed out, bland and unappealing. Gimmick is one of the best looking games on the Famicom. Surely you can make a great hack that has better color choices than the screenshots show?

Berion

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 02:19:51 pm »
Making pallets I have two goals: first is making something totally bright in opposite to totally dark in Dark Gimmick! and second, to make non contrast (currently in GUI is horrible fashion to make everything extremely contrast i.e Material Design, ModernUI etc - I don't like it and even hate it). However I still experimenting with world map colours, maybe something less greenish will be better.

First stage is a watery world so I trying make everything shining blue and white.
On second dominating is "morning green".
On third is also little green (to accent "strange forest") and in underground with bugs "rotten red".
Four stage is extreme sunny, to make player feeling this real hot (starting on beach, then desert, to ancient ruins). ;p It even brighter when player climb to "cities of gold" and CRT luminofor killer in secret item area.

You call it washed out, I calling it consistence. Of course I'm open to proposition, as NES is hard to make good looking colouring on PAL and NTSC in the same time.

Thanks for opinion. I really appreciate it.

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 04:14:05 pm »
It's really only the level 4 palette that looks straight-up bad to me. Everything else is fine.