News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Help with gba music hacking  (Read 2380 times)

DarkPrinceAlucard

• View Profile
Help with gba music hacking
« on: February 02, 2017, 07:17:38 pm »
Hello, I'm here because recently my interest is adding new music to my hacks has been swelling and decided it was worth a shot to ask the community here would such a thing be possible to learn?

I know its possible through certain tools but most tutorials I find are for pokemon games, also the games' is question I hack are castlevania ones and the only person I know who has edited music is Tonjih with the Castlevania Revenge of Findersciecle hack.

Any help would be appreciated.
Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Help with gba music hacking
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 08:29:29 pm »
One day I will get around to writing up GBA sound hacking... I find it so tedious though.

Several of the tools you have seen for pokemon will also do for this, the sappy thing is good stuff. Fire emblem and golden sun hackers also use such things and have good info from time to time.

http://www.romhacking.net/documents/462/ is a nice document on the format used by a lot of games on the GBA, there were several games using other formats though. Anyway that will cover editing in place,

If you want hardware and gbatek is not enough then http://belogic.com/gba/ (navigation at the top) is good stuff.

Many convert songs from midi into a format the GBA can take and call that the extent of their sound hacking. A bit ham fisted for my taste but to each their own. Alas a lot of the tutorials are very steeped in their methods rather than teaching you the underlying concepts so you can maybe break out of it a bit and get it done a slightly different way, and as such I am not sure what I want to link. Either way though the pointers to the song, the banks (instrument libraries) it uses and the actual song itself are all things that usually get changed here. Looping is nice but don't get too bogged down in it should you stumble across a tutorial.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 03:51:55 am »
One day I will get around to writing up GBA sound hacking... I find it so tedious though.
All 3 GBA castlevania games uses the sappy engine. GBA music hacking is trivial - basically it boils down to 2 simple problems - #1 MIDI file editing and #2 re-inserting it in the ROM. You need a program called mid2agb in order to do that - I'll let you use the common search tools in order to find it - as this program was probably leaked from Nintendo and distributing it is not legal. If you're modifying the sound font as well it can get a little more complicated, as you'll also have to insert new samples in it, which requires a lot of free space, but it's not very complicated either. If you are more specific about what you want to do, I'll gladly help.

DarkPrinceAlucard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 08:59:49 am »
All 3 GBA castlevania games uses the sappy engine. GBA music hacking is trivial - basically it boils down to 2 simple problems - #1 MIDI file editing and #2 re-inserting it in the ROM. You need a program called mid2agb in order to do that - I'll let you use the common search tools in order to find it - as this program was probably leaked from Nintendo and distributing it is not legal. If you're modifying the sound font as well it can get a little more complicated, as you'll also have to insert new samples in it, which requires a lot of free space, but it's not very complicated either. If you are more specific about what you want to do, I'll gladly help.

Sounds great, specifically I want to edit and change music for the stages within the game Castlevania Aria of Sorrow, I want to replace them with new remixed tracks I have found on the internet, I've heard that you also would have to find a way to loop it as well. The only castlevania game I have seen music hacking done with it Castlevania Revenge of Findesciecle hack and unfortunately Tonjih is no longer active from what I hear.
Castlevania Modding Forum http://castlevaniamodding.boards.net/