News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Are some PCE-CD rips broken or are the original releases poorly tested?  (Read 1486 times)

Real_Character

• Restricted Access
  • A 16-bit character in a 2-bit world.
    • View Profile
So, for those of you 'ripping' your $300 ebay CDs (so that ebay sellers get your money and the developers not a red cent), do you find that a lot of these rips come out with audio tracks out of sync with the game? I found two in particular that are horribly bad: Mugen Senshi Valis and Xak III. In many cutscenes with speech, the audio is a couple of seconds late, which looks really bad, like a bad kung fu movie but worse, since it's not even in English. It bothers me so much that I am going to attempt to try to resync these tracks manually, to look as correctly as I can (but that's hardly a hacking job so I didn't post it in that section).

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Are some PCE-CD rips broken or are the original releases poorly tested?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 07:03:19 pm »
"(so that ebay sellers get your money and the developers not a red cent)"

What possible claim do the developers have to any money exchanged for those games? If they wanted some they would still sell copies, or invest in the platforms that do.

tvtoon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 09:02:20 pm »
I also can't understand who you are blaming exactly, but I can guarantee you that both games don't have such problems, from watching the console play.
You are victim of bad recording service. For stuff like that, try some japanese importer instead.

elmer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 09:19:44 pm »
Sounds like you're using the wrong software, and possibly a not-very-good drive to read the discs.

Switching from data to audio, and the pre and post track gaps, messes up the sync on some CD drives.

You can use the TOC database here to see if you've got a good rip ...

http://www.necstasy.net/uk/

There are tutorials there for using NightWolve's TurboRIP and TOCFixer utilities to get a good rip.

Having said which ... all of the CD images that I've downloaded in the last *ages* have been perfect rips.

It's a long time since folks were screwing up the rips by MP3 encoding the audio tracks. Everyone has big hard drives these days.

Real_Character

• Restricted Access
  • A 16-bit character in a 2-bit world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 07:02:29 am »
"(so that ebay sellers get your money and the developers not a red cent)"

What possible claim do the developers have to any money exchanged for those games? If they wanted some they would still sell copies, or invest in the platforms that do.

Yeah, you're right. People that insist on buying "real games" on ebay to support developers are morons. That's me for buying some disc on ebay (which might be a real-looking pirate copy and I would never know). And ebay is the only place to get them since at least one of these publishers doesn't exist anymore and it seems nobody knows who even owns the rights to the IP. And AFAIK there is no virtual console version anywhere.

But I digress. I found a 'better place to rip the game' so that's done.

February 03, 2017, 07:04:43 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I also can't understand who you are blaming exactly,

try some japanese importer instead.

Link one. (this should be good)