mz, I know it's improper to request stuff here, but could you help with a similar 12px > 6px fix than Fullmetal Alchemist GBA, but for the third Summon Night Hajimari no Ishi game, even simply sharing how you did it here?
That part is still a huge bottleneck in that game's translation for years, along with the 2/1 byte thing... and the current solution the current translators found is the same approach than the horrible Romancing Saga 3 patch , that is replacing the 2500 or so kanjis with pre-baked dual letter combinations. But it breaks the naming screen and introduces lots of limitations in what can be done in the dialogue and many other things.
Haha, I'm sorry, but my translation of FMA also uses that horrible method... In fact, it was thanks to the Summon Night guys that I found out about it (that's why my patch has the Summon Night's font).
A bit of backstory about the translation: almost two years ago, Mikh asked me to hack and translate Conan 2 and FMA. He proposed that each week I'd send him at least 10% of the game translated, and he'd edit my broken English and we'd release a patch every week  with 10% more of the game translated, similar to what Psyklax had done with the first Conan . I said sure, I can do that. (Mikh then got very sick and couldn't edit them, so eventually I just finished the translations on my own.)
So, the Conan game was simple enough. But with FMA, the first week I needed to hack the font, reverse engineer the entire custom scripting engine, write an extractor and an inserter and translate at least 10% of the game. So, I was running out of time and I told Mikh that I wouldn't be able to make it unless we don't use a VWF, he said OK and then I used the horrible "dual-tile method", which kind of works in this game because at least it doesn't have a name entry screen.
I still have some of the code I wrote somewhere... In fact, that first week I started working on Conan GBA at first, until we changed plans a few days later:
I tried to use a similar 6px fixed-width method with FMA, but I couldn't make it work before running out of time:
This also explains why I had to release these games now in a rush after 2 years of having them on my disk... I received a PM from Mikh a few days ago saying that he wanted to release the translations with just my broken English (and with a few other things missing too), so I asked him to give me a few more days to release a better patch... Then I asked another editor (who didn't want to have his name associated with my translations
) and that's how I was able to release them now.
they mentioned trouble about fitting in the English script in the cartridge
As Gideon Zhi mentioned earlier, that game has more than enough room for the English script. It has many empty (and even contiguous) banks in several places inside the ROM.