News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Independent Girl Translations  (Read 19828 times)

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
Re: Independent Girl Translations
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2017, 10:20:37 am »
Would love to beta-test Stray Rondo, but I'm afraid that it may spoil the experience for me.
I wouldn't call it beta-test, since that's pretty much the final version, unless someone finds a game-breaking bug.

But thanks for the words of encouragement, I appreciate that!
There has to be a better life.

kld6445

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2017, 11:16:25 am »
@kld6445: it sounds like you're trying to play the old, buggy version! Please download the latest version (0.02) and apply it to a clean ROM: http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2880/

I did this in this version but it's still the same when i press start conan thinks about a murder that never happen
It's about "breaking the window of the 4th floor"
If press keyword or save or config
I test JP rom that i did patched and
it was normal without problem
I am sorry if i make some noise for you

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2017, 11:22:24 am »
I did this in this version but it's still the same when i press start conan thinks about a murder that never happen
It's about "breaking the window of the 4th floor"
If press keyword or save or config
Wow, that sounds like a serious bug.  :-[

Can you please share your save file and/or a screenshot and/or the exact text you see?

kld6445

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2017, 11:54:04 am »
Wow, that sounds like a serious bug.  :-[

Can you please share your save file and/or a screenshot and/or the exact text you see?

It's in the begining of the game when
 i control conan character

In the menu when i press keywords it shows this:
https://img2.brain3.photobox.com/469479223b2fbf5fb8326f9e621a3baeb367d9c9391bd289ea98800f015d5b836bfc91d7.jpg

When i press config it shows:
https://img2.brain3.photobox.com/22408951fdce5f1a66c153299a27370998b93a41ac2094c804ef5403cfa846a0402850dd.jpg

When i press save it shows:
https://img2.brain3.photobox.com/735687493d9178e2cd7d64fe18db14748e628407318e8c30ccadf712085dba8401293a76.jpg
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 12:11:51 pm by kld6445 »

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2017, 11:56:05 am »
It's in the begining of the game when
 i control conan character
I couldn't see the pictures, but if it is the very beginning, I've already tested it many times, and I can't reproduce this bug...

I just sent you a PM, please take a look at it!

EDIT: I was able to see the images now, thanks!

It definitely looks like the pointers are corrupt, but I can't reproduce that bug at all! Please test the file I sent you via PM and let me know the results!

February 04, 2017, 01:23:13 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I was able to reproduce kld6445's bug! Thanks a lot for your help!

It looks like some emulators (and maybe real hardware too) won't allow the game to set bank 0 in the switchable banks, so I had to expand the ROM to get more space. :'(

You can download the new patch here while the entry on RHDN gets accepted:
http://www.bwass.org/bucket/conan2-gbc-v003-patch.zip
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 01:23:13 pm by mz »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2017, 01:46:56 pm »
I mean, seeing Star Ocean: Blue Sphere on here, the only SO game that has not had an English release (I think), was enough to get me talking.
The localized all the non-Nintendo console Star Oceans in the west. :P
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

travel27

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2017, 04:00:31 pm »
You're working on Star Ocean: Blue Sphere!? I was hoping to see someone working on the translation for a while now, you have my respect.

That Fullmetal Alchemist game you show off in those screenshots also looks very interesting.

Looking forward to the updates.

GZ WAS working on it.
https://agtp.romhack.net/project.php?id=sobs

It is stuck at 60% so I wonder if he will drop that project if this one is translated 100% or if he will continue with it even if IGT ends up translating it fully. (I also wonder the same about 3x3 Eyes - Juuma Houkan, now that it is 100% because his project is 5%).

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2017, 04:24:51 pm »
mz, I know it's improper to request stuff here, but could you help with a similar 12px > 6px fix than Fullmetal Alchemist GBA, but for the third Summon Night Hajimari no Ishi game, even simply sharing how you did it here?
That part is still a huge bottleneck in that game's translation for years, along with the 2/1 byte thing... and the current solution the current translators found is the same approach than the horrible Romancing Saga 3 patch , that is replacing the 2500 or so kanjis with pre-baked dual letter combinations. But it breaks the naming screen and introduces lots of limitations in what can be done in the dialogue and many other things.

The localized all the non-Nintendo console Star Oceans in the west. :P

Star Ocean Blue Sphere was at some point headed in English, but they mentioned trouble about fitting in the English script in the cartridge and whether a big cartridge release would make sense after 2001. And they went through the trouble of dubbing the intro of Star Ocean 1 in English voices. It's not like they didn't try.

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2017, 06:42:57 pm »
mz, I know it's improper to request stuff here, but could you help with a similar 12px > 6px fix than Fullmetal Alchemist GBA, but for the third Summon Night Hajimari no Ishi game, even simply sharing how you did it here?
That part is still a huge bottleneck in that game's translation for years, along with the 2/1 byte thing... and the current solution the current translators found is the same approach than the horrible Romancing Saga 3 patch , that is replacing the 2500 or so kanjis with pre-baked dual letter combinations. But it breaks the naming screen and introduces lots of limitations in what can be done in the dialogue and many other things.
Haha, I'm sorry, but my translation of FMA also uses that horrible method... In fact, it was thanks to the Summon Night guys that I found out about it (that's why my patch has the Summon Night's font).

A bit of backstory about the translation: almost two years ago, Mikh asked me to hack and translate Conan 2 and FMA. He proposed that each week I'd send him at least 10% of the game translated, and he'd edit my broken English and we'd release a patch every week [1] with 10% more of the game translated, similar to what Psyklax had done with the first Conan [2]. I said sure, I can do that. (Mikh then got very sick and couldn't edit them, so eventually I just finished the translations on my own.)

[1] http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=19518.0
[2] http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=16433.0

So, the Conan game was simple enough. But with FMA, the first week I needed to hack the font, reverse engineer the entire custom scripting engine, write an extractor and an inserter and translate at least 10% of the game. So, I was running out of time and I told Mikh that I wouldn't be able to make it unless we don't use a VWF, he said OK and then I used the horrible "dual-tile method", which kind of works in this game because at least it doesn't have a name entry screen.

I still have some of the code I wrote somewhere... In fact, that first week I started working on Conan GBA at first, until we changed plans a few days later:

I tried to use a similar 6px fixed-width method with FMA, but I couldn't make it work before running out of time:

This also explains why I had to release these games now in a rush after 2 years of having them on my disk... I received a PM from Mikh a few days ago saying that he wanted to release the translations with just my broken English (and with a few other things missing too), so I asked him to give me a few more days to release a better patch... Then I asked another editor (who didn't want to have his name associated with my translations :P) and that's how I was able to release them now.

EDIT:
they mentioned trouble about fitting in the English script in the cartridge
As Gideon Zhi mentioned earlier, that game has more than enough room for the English script. It has many empty (and even contiguous) banks in several places inside the ROM.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 07:05:52 pm by mz »

Merr Man

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2017, 10:37:30 pm »
mz,

I just noticed, right now, that you uploaded the full Stray Rondo patch on this site, will have to try it out at some point, I've got such a backlog and I've been saving all of these translated games for later.

As far as the responses to my comments on Star Ocean: Blue Sphere, I do remember seeing it on GZ's page as an incomplete project, I've seen before teams removing translations from their pages when someone else has completed it prior to their turn of events, I'm also not entirely sure if that will happen in this case. Would be nice to see the attention shift to other projects, if IGT is holding the reins.

I look at the possible localization of Blue Sphere in the same way as Grandia: Parallel Trippers, direct sequels to localized popular RPG entries on the PS1 that saw early 2000s releases on the GBC that were left behind, so I'm not too bitter. It is interesting that the only SO game I played was Second Story, and that this one has the strongest connection to that, and I absolutely loved Second Story, hence my interest, and interest in the series as a whole. While reading the Wiki on Second Story, perhaps another reason why Blue Sphere didn't come out was that SS wasn't a huge success story in NA, at least. Ever since I first heard about the game, and any possible localization efforts, I've been pining, for a long while, to see this become a reality, even thinking about poking in the ole search engine to see if there are any futile threads, or posts, about any underground translation effort.  8) ::waits patiently::

Chael

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2017, 01:46:50 pm »
You could see if the menu screen works now (pressing start once you get control of Conan). v0.02 and earlier would show random text and you couldn't save or configure the game.

Menu screen works as intended on real hardware (at least at the beginning).
If I encounter any bug later in the game I'll report it here.

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2017, 02:01:24 pm »
Menu screen works as intended on real hardware
I'm glad to read that. Thank you very much for testing it, Chael!

February 05, 2017, 05:54:11 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
kld6445 found another serious bug in Conan 2 (I was trying to save text twice in the same bank...), so there's a new patch!

http://www.bwass.org/bucket/conan2-gbc-v004-patch.zip

I'll try to play the game from start to finish now, before submitting more updates to the RHDN database... They must be very tired of me already. :D

EDIT: finished my playthrough and submitted the update to RHDN! :-[
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 08:37:32 pm by mz »

Normmatt

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2017, 10:36:49 pm »
Nice to see some new GBA translations.

If you ever need any help with any GBA hacking let me know.

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2017, 10:38:23 am »
If you ever need any help with any GBA hacking let me know.
Thanks! Unfortunately I'm very busy with other stuff at the moment...

Do you think you could help GHANMI with this?

Gary_Oak

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2017, 11:22:27 am »
Thank you for the FMA translation! I don't think I have run into any bugs so far.  :thumbsup:

Are you considering translating Omoide no Sonata as well?

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2017, 04:15:10 pm »
Are you considering translating Omoide no Sonata as well?
Yes! It seems to run on a very similar engine, and someone has already translated a big part of it [1], so I'll probably be able to do it rather quickly once I have some free time again.

[1] https://www.gamefaqs.com/gba/921186-fullmetal-alchemist-omoide-no-sonata/faqs/31442

ObiKKa

• Tome of retro gaming knowledge!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2017, 01:54:54 pm »
 :o

I live just a few kilometers away from the real Aconcagua mountain, so I've always been very interested in that game!

The Japanese version already has an English font, regular SJIS encoding once the file is loaded into RAM, a lot of dialog already written and/or voiced in English and Spanish, the UI is in English... And I think there was a full longplay translated in YouTube, so it seems to be a bit easier than the others.
Thank you so much for beginning to work on Aconcagua. About time! It's nice to see people who start new projects on the cult classics & hidden gems for the PSX! Did you know there are some retrospectives for this game on the web?

Considering your previous efforts you must be a professional romhacker! :P :thumbsup:

* Addendum, after your response: Well, there is another retrospective on listal with a link to that HG101 article. BUT as of this day (10th of Feb 2017) the entire server is down! Disappointing.
Re-edit: The server is back up and working, a few hours after I saw that it was down. If you check the review the user who did that has also made several lists for a number of PSX games like the Hidden Gems list and Horror games lists and other retro games.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 03:18:18 pm by ObiKKa »

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2017, 10:29:20 pm »
Did you know there are some retrospectives for this game on the web?
I only know about this one: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/aconcagua/aconcagua.htm

Which reminds me... There's a third entry on the PSP in the Zettai Zetsumei Toshi series (Disaster Report/SOS: Final Escape/Raw Danger) that was never translated, as far as I know.* I really loved the first two games on the PS2. :D

* I could only find this "on hiatus" project: https://gbatemp.net/threads/zettai-zetsumei-toshi-3-translation-project.368872/

BlackMageJawa

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2017, 06:44:05 pm »
Yeah, the ZZT3 translation project stalled because the series' creator formed a new company and licensed his old work, so now ZZT4 (which was planned for PS3 but cancelled) is back in development for PS4, and there's a slim chance that they'll also rerelease ZZT3 somehow and give it an official localisation. Fingers crossed.

But thanks to this topic, I learned that there's an older game that's somewhat similar I can look forward to a translation for! And Blue Sphere, which I've been hoping to be able to play for many years (The Second Story being one of my all-time favourite JRPGs).

Keep up the good work!

pablitox

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2017, 11:03:42 pm »
Thanks! Unfortunately I'm very busy with other stuff at the moment...

Do you think you could help GHANMI with this?

Sorry for chiming in, but i think i already asked normmatt about implementing a VWF a while ago (though i'd like to know if he's available to do it!). Right now earthdarkness is going with kanji's replacement and inserting the english script. Once it's all inserted, would that be enough to work on a font similar to the one used by mz on FMA's translation? it looks really good imo and would help with the problematic word limitation. Sorry my lack of proper knowledge about this matter.

Cheers. :thumbsup:
Re taking hajimari no ishi!