News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Final Fantasy: Management Simulator 2000  (Read 648 times)

Spooniest

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
Final Fantasy: Management Simulator 2000
« on: January 27, 2017, 11:04:38 pm »
This is a joke, but also kind of the way I feel about the series.

Dragon Quest starts you off by giving you a specific set of instructions, and then demanding you follow them to continue the game.

Final Fantasy asks you who you want to be, what you want to be called, and then says "Go for it, go be those people."

It is like playing Management Simulator 2000. The more wild and crazy you make the character party in your head, the harder the game is. And the less practical knowledge of the setting you have, the nearer the chance that you will even beat Garland approaches 0.

Final Fantasy refuses to hold your hand the way DQ does. It basically says "You're so smart, let's see you bring light to some ORBs! Go ahead, go nuts! Whatcha got?"

...Anyone want to comment on this dichotomy between the two styles? Dragon Quest is like, sacred to the Japanese or something, so they never alter it significantly gameplay or interface wise, at least, not in any way that wouldn't be considered tasteful. FF is basically an Artist Colony making a really complicated board game for them to entertain themselves with.

Whatcha got guys?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 12:11:54 am by Spooniest »

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy: Management Simulator 2000
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 03:36:42 am »
If final fantasy allows you to play your own character then what is Skyrim?

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 11:59:53 am »
Actually the manual pretty much guides you through the prologue in FF1 and it came with a world map and monster chart too from what I can tell.

Maybe some of these are from guides though?
http://www.gamesdatabase.org/Media/SYSTEM/Nintendo_NES/manual/Formated/Final_Fantasy_-_1990_-_Nintendo.pdf

Edit:
DQ1-2 are also very open ended in structure and in 2 in particular it's fairly easy to get stuck if you don't talk to everyone and take notes on what might be important later.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 02:43:16 pm by PresidentLeever »
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 12:23:39 pm »
I maintain that the original Final Fantasy is rather broken game design.

Your only chance for survival is to talk to absolutely EVERYONE.  And if you miss that one person with that one vital piece of dialog, you are screwed.

Wandering way out in the middle of nowhere and talking to the identical men standing in a circle so you can get a blooming canoe stands out in particular.  Also, wandering into the random desert to get the airship.
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...

Reiska

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 04:47:10 pm »
Pretty much all the big NES/SNES era RPGs had a walkthrough in the back of the manual going at least halfway through the game, if not further. 

I remember that FF1's went through to getting the airship, FF2US's went through to entering the underground, and Chrono Trigger's went through I think the battle with Magus?

Spooniest

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 05:36:58 pm »
Pretty much all the big NES/SNES era RPGs had a walkthrough in the back of the manual going at least halfway through the game, if not further. 

I remember that FF1's went through to getting the airship, FF2US's went through to entering the underground, and Chrono Trigger's went through I think the battle with Magus?

Many of us less financially inclined families resorted to buying pre-owned games...