News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Chrono trigger plus  (Read 195071 times)

Mauron

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono trigger plus
« Reply #620 on: January 13, 2019, 07:57:44 pm »
The Nu (82) attack is shared with potentially every enemy in the game (some enemies don't use their attack 1). Maybe I could make a special flag for it with one of the unused attack bits, and if Nu (82) is unmodified, apply that flag to it.
Mauron wuz here.

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #621 on: January 13, 2019, 08:07:47 pm »
That sounds like an acceptable way to do it. I'm almost done with the original test, so lemme know when the new patch is.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 05:11:20 pm by ThegreatBen »

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #622 on: January 21, 2019, 05:11:48 pm »
So here's what I've been up to.

First I must have fixed another forty errors, bad indentations, bad punctuation,  clipping through doorways, and several instances of crashing or freezing.

I've added a the option to buy catfood in West city.

I've added a Pawn shop in west city that sells rare items.

The players can now acquire a penthouse suite in 1999, the pawn shop sells cool stuff you can put in it.

The gate in 1999 now takes you directly to tEoT instead of making you trek back through the 2300 dungeon.

There's now a save point in the cult of Lavos dungeon.

Found some more unused 2300ad overworld tiles and added them.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 05:44:54 pm by ThegreatBen »

Mauron

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: January 27, 2019, 06:03:07 pm »
I found a bug in the Wondershot damage routine. Change 0x01EE6D from 00 00 to 89 AD to correct the 1.5x damage option. Currently I believe this winds up being an additional 1x damage option, but I haven't tested the garbage value it's loading fully yet.
Mauron wuz here.

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #624 on: January 27, 2019, 09:11:37 pm »
I found a bug in the Wondershot damage routine. Change 0x01EE6D from 00 00 to 89 AD to correct the 1.5x damage option. Currently I believe this winds up being an additional 1x damage option, but I haven't tested the garbage value it's loading fully yet.

So the wondershot couldn't take advantage of the Prism specs? Or it had it's own 1.5 multiplayer the want triggering? Also are the
blank map slots F8 to FF after the world maps safe to use?

Also for anyone following this here's a sample video of what I've been working on.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I3SULxIfqwU

Mauron

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: January 28, 2019, 04:48:07 am »
Here's my notes from when I was looking into the Wondershot for someone else.

The Wondershot gives damage based on X9 seconds, with the following results:
0: About a tenth of normal damage. (There's some complex bitwise math involved that I haven't completely figured out. I'll let you know if I do).
1-2: Half damage.
3-4: Normal damage.
5-6: This one's glitchy. It looks like it was meant to be 1.5x damage, but it loads a garbage value as part of it's calculation. Based on what I can see, it might end up being normal damage.
7-8: Double damage.
9: 2.5x damage.

The Wondershot got unintentionally nerfed because someone forgot change the RAM address loaded for part of it. Prism Specs work fine with the Wondershot.

Would that be Locations 0x1F8 to 0x1FF? I haven't fully tested those, so I can't say for sure.
Mauron wuz here.

Recca

• Indignation!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
« Reply #626 on: January 29, 2019, 03:55:24 am »
Amazing work so far. I'm really looking forward to trying out version 2.0 when it's released. The map design for the new areas in 1999 appears very well done. The NPC follower idea for quests is also an interesting and welcome new addition. I just have two questions if no one minds:

1. Will using the bucket at the End of Time or the Epoch take the player to the Lavos battle as in the original game, or to some newly added place in 1999? Is it also possible for the player to access the Lavos battle while in 1999 or only by the use one of the three original methods (either through the Black Omen, the bucket at the End of Time or by using the Epoch)?

2. Can the player travel anywhere in the game while an NPC is currently following them or are they limited to travelling only to certain areas until they leave the party? Also, as a quick follow up question: Will these NPCs also help the player in combat or not? Hopefully, they're immortal or else it might be a bit tedious having to reload the game if they get defeated. And knowing how NPCs are like in most games, they usually tend to lose quite quickly when they have limited HP.

Edit: I have a great idea for a possible alternate version patch that could be included along with the main one. If this project could be combined with the Schala Edition project, it might be an awesome joint project that could let players experience a very fresh take on Chrono Trigger. So, what do you all think of this? If everyone involved in these two projects agree to this, it really might be worth considering.

By the way, about the Schala Edition... I noticed that on the Chrono Trigger Compendium site, the first post on the project page still lists it as version 1.1 when it is currently at version 1.2. I'm not a member there, so if anyone could let the project leader there know, that would be nice. Furthermore, I noticed that the Compendium site is now displaying an error "502 Bad Gateway" message when accessed. Does anyone know what's going on and when this will be fixed? I'm just wondering whether or not this is just an ordinary bug/glitch that sometimes occurs on message boards.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 06:08:22 am by Recca »
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #627 on: January 29, 2019, 08:27:17 am »
Thanks for the support.

1. I am actually working on making a shortcut to 1999 after it's been unlocked, not quite sure on the details yet.

2. Guest NPCs can only go on maps that I programmed them on, hopefully they will eventually be able to fight.

This project and the Schala project would most certainly be incompatible, however it does have some cool ideas so when the compendium is back up I'll talk to the author about trading a few rescources.

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #628 on: February 17, 2019, 07:48:52 pm »
Been taking a break for a bit to play the Breath of Fire games again but there is now a shortcut to 1999 after it's unlocked.

Giant's Claw 1999 is finished and I'm halfway through Medina 1999.

There is now a quest in 1999 that will allow the party to raise each stat by a few points one time.

Outsider

• View Profile
« Reply #629 on: February 17, 2019, 11:10:20 pm »
I just caught wind of this project, and I am intrigued.  Although in truth, the 1999AD stuff doesn't interest me as much as say, some of the additional things that have been added in earlier versions.

Anyway, I just finished running through the Schala Edition hack, thinking to myself, "this introduces some things I like....but I don't care much for the writing. I wonder if there are other projects with similar aims..." and that's how I found this one.  I have to admit, the extra pieces of flavor text, and the addition of new character comments, made going through a game I've played through dozens of times feel quite a bit refreshing.  Would you consider adding those kinds of little touches to the project?  Say, if you had someone with a firm understanding of what gave SNES dialogue that special "charm," who could emulate said style?

That's not a shameless self-promotion, by the way. I'm just curious if that's a thing you'd consider adding.

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #630 on: February 18, 2019, 03:08:08 pm »
This hack has a lot of little flavor things added so it should be right up your alley.

A lot of the good ideas were suggested by other people so if you have some ideas sent them to me and I'll pick and choose.

Outsider

• View Profile
« Reply #631 on: February 20, 2019, 12:37:47 am »
Not sure I'd be a reliable source for good ideas, but I'll certainly keep some "Editor's Notes" when I go through the latest version.  Since I just came off of the Schala project, I'll probably take a short Chrono Break before diving back in.

If I were personally working on a project that aimed to fill an unmet need...I've always felt like the main game was lacking in moments that involved the entire party.  Really there was just the one forest scene, where the gang was all together.  The rest of the time, it felt like there were the two characters who got to enjoy the majority of the adventure, while the rest of the remaining party members were left out of the loop.  Such an endeavor would probably set the project back a dozen months, but I think it'd be interesting to add some additional 'whole party vignettes' to the main game.  One that springs to mind, that wouldn't violate the rule that not everyone can leave the End of Time, would be the scene where you approach Gaspar after Crono dies.  I could picture a scene where the entire group chimes in, maybe lifting some lines for their dialogue if they had happened to be one of the three in your party.

Okay, don't want to toss such a huge task at you.  For the most part, I'd be happy if I could just go through and fix typos/suggest rewording.

andrewclunn

• View Profile
« Reply #632 on: February 20, 2019, 11:15:58 am »
This project already did that with the Ayla welcoming dance party.  Then there's the new theater scene.

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #633 on: February 20, 2019, 07:20:42 pm »
This project already did that with the Ayla welcoming dance party.  Then there's the new theater scene.

Yup there's that and the scene in Frog's burrow before the assault on Magus' castle.

I want to try to add a few more now that I understand the palette limitations better, maybe the dactyl nest summit and the scene where Melchior hands over the Ruby Knife.

Outsider

• View Profile
« Reply #634 on: February 22, 2019, 08:41:26 am »
Oh cool! I like the way you think.  In a few days, I'll have time to com over some of the content (I may have to cheat just so I can see it faster).

When I get back home...I could also look into some of the music tools available for doing custom SNES music.  I am (probably) in no way capable of even half the genius of the CT original soundtrack...but it's one of the game OSTs that's had the biggest influence on my writing style.  If anything, I could try my hand at some cover/variation themes for 1999 AD content, if you think that's feasible.  I could PM you a link to my soundcloud if you're interested--it's higher quality sample-wise, but the nice thing is that when you go from writing 24-bit orchestrations to SNES tracks, content output speeds up drastically (that's even considering all the hoops you'd have to jump through to export/import stuff).

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #635 on: February 22, 2019, 06:29:02 pm »
I would hold off on playing for the moment the currently available version is extremely buggy and has far less features than the unreleased one I'm working on right now.

As for additional music this project is designed to be used with the chrono trigger symphony tracks.

Outsider

• View Profile
« Reply #636 on: February 25, 2019, 05:12:16 pm »
Okay, gonna cool my jets for a bit.  I have a tendency to get overly eager to help whenever I stumble upon a new intriguing project.  I haven't yet heard the Chrono Symphony tracks, but I imagine they're in WAV or FLAC format.  For the sake of consistency, you probably wouldn't want to deviate from the existing soundtrack, but if you are ever interested, here's some older stuff I wrote that I think has a little bit of that Chrono sound going on. More Cross than Trigger, though.

(Edit: took out the links. They've served their purpose)

« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 09:46:56 am by Outsider »

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #637 on: February 26, 2019, 10:41:55 am »
Hey those are pretty good, I don't think there's any empty music slots though I actually don't know much about how music works.

Mauron

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: February 26, 2019, 03:00:59 pm »
It's possible to add music slots, but tricky. I've added a couple final tracks into the Japanese version that were in the US final.

Getting new music in is beyond me at the moment, but I'd like to look further into it eventually.
Mauron wuz here.

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #639 on: February 26, 2019, 04:54:03 pm »
It would be cool but hardly a priority.

Are you still taking a break from CT hacking?