News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Chrono trigger plus  (Read 195067 times)

Mauron

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono trigger plus
« Reply #600 on: January 02, 2019, 03:09:47 am »
You could do permanent stat boosts like Atropos's Ribbon.
Mauron wuz here.

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #601 on: January 02, 2019, 08:34:30 am »
That could work, is there an easy way to find the addresses for everyone besides Robo?

Oh another idea I had, is player run speed a universal number that could be changed in game by a single byte? Or would you have to edit it manually on each area's  script?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 01:10:44 pm by ThegreatBen »

Mauron

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: January 02, 2019, 06:46:44 pm »
There's two addresses you need to modify per stat to make a permanent change.

Code: [Select]
Base:
Crono: 7E2600
Marle: 7E2650
Lucca: 7E26A0
Robo:  7E26F0
Frog:  7E2740
Ayla:  7E2790
Magus: 7E27E0

Stats:
Power:      0B, 2F
Stamina:    0C, 30
Speed:      0D, 31
Magic:      0E, 34
Hit:        0F, 32
Evade:      10, 33
M. Defense: 11, 35

So to modify Crono's power, add the same value to 7E260B and 7E262F. You might have to temporarily copy these into the 7F02xx range to work with them.

Running speed is 8 bytes that would need to be changed. Run right is 0x008934. If you find a number you want, I'll look up the other 7.
Mauron wuz here.

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #603 on: January 02, 2019, 07:37:05 pm »
Thanks,modifying the stats is easy should be easy enough now.

Will I be able to increase the run speed in game after an event using that address?  The idea was a quest that rewards you with faster movement, but it seems that value is stored in rom not ram.

Mauron

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: January 02, 2019, 07:54:57 pm »
There might be a way to do event altered run speed. It would require an unknown amount of free space and one safe RAM value that's written to SRAM.

Make sure you can find a good speed preference first.
Mauron wuz here.

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #605 on: January 02, 2019, 08:34:15 pm »
So I played around with it and 0x37 feels pretty nice. That will make an awesome reward, especially if I let it carry to new game plus.

The Timekeeper

• View Profile
« Reply #606 on: January 04, 2019, 06:47:13 am »
I am glad that this is still being worked on! After you fix all the bugs and finish 1999, what do you plan to do further?

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #607 on: January 04, 2019, 08:44:22 am »
I am glad that this is still being worked on! After you fix all the bugs and finish 1999, what do you plan to do further?

Hey you're back.

The current plan is for 1999 to have  as much content as the other time periods. After that I might go back to working on the 8th character scripts.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 03:55:34 pm by ThegreatBen »

Quartz

• View Profile
« Reply #608 on: January 04, 2019, 02:52:01 pm »
Just wanted to express my support for this project. The new content is pretty cool; I like how subtle it is. The newly added dialogue has a few minor issues, but overall I think it's pretty good because it feels mostly in the spirit of the original game's writing.

I finished playing through 1.3 a few weeks ago, and I kept a journal of bugs and suggestions as I played. I found some bugs and issues that don't seem to have been mentioned in this thread. I'm not sure if any of this stuff was addressed in 1.4; unfortunately I don't have time to play through it again right now. The suggestions are just ideas that IMO would improve the overall presentation, but if you disagree you can ignore them. I played through the game slowly from October to December. I played up to around 12000BC in bsnes, but I had to switch to snes9x after that because I only had access to a slow laptop. Unfortunately, at the time I didn't think to test the bugs in multiple emulators, or to record the emulator I was using when I encountered the bug. I hope this is still helpful.

Spoiler:
Bugs / issues:
  • When entering Crono's mother's room, the party is placed in the middle of the room. Other entrances in the game place the party at the entry point.
  • New dialogue often has indentation that is inconsistent with the original game text.
  • Spekkio runs in place much faster than normal. (I think? It's been a while.)
  • The stairs in the new Zeal dungeon have incorrect collision detection. (I think it's just a mapping issue, not a programming issue. I think the stairs are just missing the internal corner tiles, which if present should allow diagonal movement to continue. See Zeal Palace for a correct implementation of the same stairs.)
  • The wrong character displays a reaching sprite in events where the pendant is held in front of the sealed doors and Mammon Machine. (It always uses Crono, but it should use the current party leader.)
  • In Zeal Palace after rescuing Belthazar, Corridors of Time plays for a brief moment every time you change rooms, then changes back to the menacing Zeal theme. This constantly restarts the music, killing the mood.
  • Magus moves too slowly in the Blackbird vents when following the lead character. It looks like he's losing a pixel or two of movement per step, for some reason. It doesn't seem to happen anywhere else in the game.
  • Magus appears to be standing in at least one room when you are looking down the Blackbird vents, if he's in your party.
  • Magus freaks out and makes weird gestures after beating Dalton at the end of the Blackbird.
  • Magus jumps out of Epoch before the other members the first time you land after beating Dalton. (Not 100% sure it's a bug. I don't remember if all members jump at the same time in the unpatched game.)
  • On Death Peak, the final map where you revive Crono still plays the original music instead of Singing Mountain.
  • The camera in 2300AD's new dungeon is a little wonky at times, party movement sometimes becomes misaligned, and the place seems a little buggy in general, but overall it's a cool addition with good atmosphere.
  • The damage counter in the new dungeon's boss battle against Lavos Spawn displays behind the boss instead of in front of it, making the damage not visible.
  • There is a typo in the 1999AD market where the merchant says "want's" when it should just be "wants".
  • All new and modified maps in the game seem to suffer from a problem where the characters who are following the lead character will often become misaligned and start walking off in weird directions or through walls.
  • The new text needs a bit of proofreading to clean up typos, punctuation, and comma splices, and to make sure it's always consistent with the writing style of Chrono Trigger. It's mostly consistent already.

Suggestions:
  • The dimensions of Crono's mother's room are too short on the bottom by one or two tiles, inconsistent with the rest of the game.
  • The new Lucca dialogue in the beginning of 600AD has too much backpedaling which makes it feel really awkward IMO. It could be improved and condensed. Having Lucca pull Crono to the side before explaining the timey-wimey stuff would probably alleviate most of the problem, and a smart person like Lucca would probably do that anyways.
  • The Eternal Repose overworld name should appear on the pyrimad tile, not one tile next to the pyramid. It might be intended based on what the area looks like, but on the overworld it looks jarring and it's inconsistent with the rest of the game's overworld map design.
  • Gaspar's Eternal Repose text would probably look better if the "say," at the end of the first text page is moved to the beginning of the second text page and capitalized.
  • On Death Peak, the boss music should also be replaced by Singing Mountain, not just the battle music. It would improve the mood and make that part of the game feel more special.
  • If possible, the overworld theme should loop in 1999AD. I think the song's dreamy feeling fits the area very well.
  • There are too many song changes in 1999AD. I'd say just fix the overworld song looping and use it for all areas except the markets, which can keep the fair theme.
  • Find a way to work in the song Premonition from the pre-release, if there is space to include it. Not sure where it would fit best; maybe somewhere in 1999 as its expanded?
  • Do the new PSX songs exist anywhere in SNES format? If so, they would make welcome era-specific songs for 1999 as its expanded, to keep it feeling unique. Plus, they are at least semi-canon.

Mauron

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: January 04, 2019, 05:00:28 pm »
Magus moves too slowly in the Blackbird vents when following the lead character. It looks like he's losing a pixel or two of movement per step, for some reason. It doesn't seem to happen anywhere else in the game.

This is the same glitch that occurred with the 8th character patch. Make sure Magus's events come after the other characters to address this.
Mauron wuz here.

andrewclunn

• View Profile
« Reply #610 on: January 05, 2019, 08:19:37 am »
Suggestion, make it clear that the reptites fled underground to escape the winter and stronly hint that the mystics are their descendents.  Just a thought for adding / modifying two NPC's throw away dialog to add depth.

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #611 on: January 05, 2019, 12:39:24 pm »
@Quartz thanks for the list, they shouldn't be much trouble.

@Andrewclunn I have a different plan for the Reptites in the next release.

@Mauron your patch is about 30% tested.

Mauron

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: January 05, 2019, 06:04:47 pm »
I made an update to my patch on the Compendium.
Mauron wuz here.

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #613 on: January 07, 2019, 08:46:30 am »
I made an update to my patch on the Compendium.

As soon as I can get to a connection I'll download that and test it.

@quartz I would need specific instances of the party alignment messing up to be able to fix it.

Other than that mostof the bugs you reported are fixed, exceptions being the music looping since the msu-1 versions are already looped, and the numbers being hidden behind the Lavos spawn because although accidental I think it's a unique gimmick.

As for updates, tons of bug fixes and Porre 1999 is now done. Starting Giant's Claw 1999.

Mauron

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: January 13, 2019, 03:38:01 pm »
I just realized there's a reason for the "glitch" where HP to 1 attacks disable Barrier and Shield for the remainder of the battle. Normal Nus always do HP to 1 attacks, but the 6 Nu fight has 3 different Nus that follow the normal enemy attack formula. At this point in the game, their attack would do 0 damage, but there's a minimum 1 damage applied, unless barrier and shield are active, so fixing the damage calculations means you can't get killed in that fight.
Mauron wuz here.

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #615 on: January 13, 2019, 05:25:43 pm »
I see what you mean, that might be trouble to have it both ways.

Mauron

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: January 13, 2019, 05:43:53 pm »
I'm trying to think of the best way to address the issue. I can change the minimum damage to be after the shield/barrier check, but that means attacks can no longer be reduced to 0. There are multiple ways I can exempt an attack or entire battle from barrier or shield, but everything I can think of so far means each user would have to manually update some part of the data to keep it working.
Mauron wuz here.

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #617 on: January 13, 2019, 06:16:28 pm »
Why don't you just do the fix properly then manually alter that one battle and just include those changes in the ips? It's how it should have been anyway.

Mauron

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: January 13, 2019, 06:56:55 pm »
The final version of the AI patch will be applied via plugin, and easily stack with any existing hacks. Both of those conditions make this harder.
Mauron wuz here.

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #619 on: January 13, 2019, 07:07:42 pm »
Another option is the 1 damage Nus could remove the barrier with their attack, since they are the only enemy with that specific attack the rest of the game would be unaffected.