News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Dragon Quest I & II: Translation Revision\Relocalization  (Read 19487 times)

SCO

• View Profile
Re: Dragon Quest I & II: Translation Revision\Relocalization
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2017, 09:08:46 am »
Fortunate this was bumped now. I just had downloaded the old version because this one is not on the archive here yet.

Krisan Thyme

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2017, 03:08:05 am »
Fortunate this was bumped now. I just had downloaded the old version because this one is not on the archive here yet.
Cool. If you're planning to playthrough the games with this patch, do report any issues or inconsistencies. Thanks!

gameboy9

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2017, 11:03:47 am »
Hi Krisan, thanks for fixing that up for me.  I have another report from another user who has tried this patch out and he tells me that the HP/MP is not refilled when the DragonLord is defeated in DQ1.  I admit, I have not personally tried it out yet, so I can't confirm this is happening.  Can you take a look at this, please?  Thanks again!

starofviolence

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2017, 11:57:45 am »
Hi Krisan, thanks for fixing that up for me.  I have another report from another user who has tried this patch out and he tells me that the HP/MP is not refilled when the DragonLord is defeated in DQ1.  I admit, I have not personally tried it out yet, so I can't confirm this is happening.  Can you take a look at this, please?  Thanks again!

Hey cool I can post now  ;D

I'm that user gameboy9 referred to. It isn't something I have seen happen myself in your patch personally, but something that occurred in the previous patch before fixes. It may have been incidentally fixed by your repairs already, it may not, but I can't say I've experienced it myself using this patch, only that it existed in the older one.

That being said, this rules, I'm really really happy to see this game's translation get the TLC it sorely needs. Thanks!

Krisan Thyme

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2017, 06:24:19 pm »
Hey cool I can post now  ;D

I'm that user gameboy9 referred to. It isn't something I have seen happen myself in your patch personally, but something that occurred in the previous patch before fixes. It may have been incidentally fixed by your repairs already, it may not, but I can't say I've experienced it myself using this patch, only that it existed in the older one.

That being said, this rules, I'm really really happy to see this game's translation get the TLC it sorely needs. Thanks!
Interesting. I never noticed this personally when I played, and it isn't something that matters much since post-Dragonlord the world is completely peaceful, but a bug is a bug. I'll look into it. I imagine I know how to fix it if it's not already working. (I've fixed a lot of bugs, both intentionally and unintentionally as a bi-product of fixing other things.)

gameboy9

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2017, 07:59:03 pm »
So I tried another run today... after failing though, I tried to play the Fairie Flute against the Golem...... and nothing happened!  :(

So I think I'm stuck again until that's taken care of.

Thanks again!

starofviolence

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2017, 11:24:18 am »
Interesting. I never noticed this personally when I played, and it isn't something that matters much since post-Dragonlord the world is completely peaceful, but a bug is a bug. I'll look into it. I imagine I know how to fix it if it's not already working. (I've fixed a lot of bugs, both intentionally and unintentionally as a bi-product of fixing other things.)

Indeed, it's not something most people would notice normally, some of us that noticed only did because we speedrun DQ1, and don't stop the timer until the credits end as per JRTA rules. A friend who learned to play via the old translation patch used to bring a Chimera Wing to Dragonlord's Castle because he asserted that you could be out of MP when you were done, and couldn't cast Return (since we want to just get right back to the castle and end the game). I was pretty confused until he showed me exactly that happening, and there you have it lol. Like you said, a pretty unimportant bug, just one I happened to know about. Thanks again!

gameboy9

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2017, 10:21:30 pm »
I can confirm that the HP and MP is still not refilled after defeating the DragonLord.

Panzer88

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2017, 02:16:19 pm »

Screenshot Comparisons:

Left: RPGOne
Right: Current Project

I notice both of these versions use Erdrick. Is there any version out there that uses the name Loto for the original hero?
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

ccunning1

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2017, 02:53:58 am »
I notice both of these versions use Erdrick. Is there any version out there that uses the name Loto for the original hero?

RPG made two patches with his release, one with US names and one with Japanese names.

Krisan, please continue your work, much appreciated.

Reiska

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2017, 04:49:27 pm »
Here's where I toss my hat in and note that even the modern official relocalizations of 1-3 (from mobile) use Erdrick, too.

BlackMageJawa

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2017, 01:22:09 pm »
Speaking of modern relocalisations, have you considered editing DQII's title screen to add its new subtitle, Luminaries of the Legendary Line?

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2017, 01:37:29 pm »
Can I ask why British English was used for certain spellings? (Armor vs Armour). I say keep it consistent with one spelling, Armor. Other than that, it looks fantastic.

Reiska

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2017, 06:18:43 am »
Can I ask why British English was used for certain spellings? (Armor vs Armour). I say keep it consistent with one spelling, Armor. Other than that, it looks fantastic.

Consistency with the modern official localizations, most likely - all modern official localizations of Dragon Quest (from DQ8 forward) use British English spellings.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2017, 08:34:16 am »
NM. I was reading the Read Me and I noticed Armor of Ederick changed to Ederick's Armor but later changed to Ederick's Armour. I still prefer US English, but that's personal preference as I'm obviously American.  ;) :beer:

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2017, 10:27:43 am »
I think modern localizations of DQ are done in the UK, which would explain the spelling.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2017, 01:16:29 pm »
Krisan, if this goes well, would you consider making a similar patch for DQIII SNES?
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Ishkabibble

• View Profile
Re: Dragon Quest I & II: Translation Revision\\Relocalization
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2017, 08:53:17 pm »
Been trying this out due to the bugfixes, but unfortunately I have encountered a bug this patch introduces

As another stated, the faerie flute no longer works on the golem guarding Cantlin town in DQ1.  It makes the flute tune, but "nothing happens" no matter how many times I used it.  There are two workarounds.  One, cheating and defeating the golem through brute force, and two (the one I used) swap the save with the original RPGOne patched game.  The flute works like its suppose to when I did this switch.

Minor thing so far, but annoying.  Was tempted to cheat past it, but thankfully swapping with the earlier English patched version bypasses this.

August 04, 2017, 10:13:03 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Played through the Dragon's Quest II portion an noticed two bugs.  One minor and one major.

Minor one is that "leather" equipment tend to have the "L" cut off on certain menus.

Major one regards the Chain Sickle.  On the equipment menu, the weapon name turns into garbled gibberish when equipped.  That's a minor part, but a major is that when an enemy drops this item in a rare treasure drop, it soft locks the game when the text is attempting to show the name of this item.  I believe the rare drops from the enemy "Sekerleton" (formerly Demighost) caused it but was unable to duplicate the event to make sure.

Chain sickle displays properly in every other situation, including when it is found in a red treasure chest in the Lighthouse.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 10:13:03 am by Ishkabibble »

SCO

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2018, 07:18:19 pm »
Shouldn't this be submitted as a translation addendum?

Metal Max Lover

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2018, 05:19:37 pm »
Dropping in to show my support  :thumbsup:

It'd be awesome for you to do this to subsequent games, like the Persona games who use their own names for spells, gives a lot of personality to the game.