News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Dragon Quest I & II: Translation Revision\Relocalization  (Read 19473 times)

Krisan Thyme

• View Profile
Dragon Quest I & II: Translation Revision\Relocalization
« on: January 18, 2017, 05:19:58 pm »
Background:
So recently I decided to start playing the Dragon Quest series.. May sound a little crazy to some, but I've managed to spend the last 30 odd years without any DQ in my life, wild I know! In any case, I decided to start my exposure to the series with DQ: Builders - I figured that would be the easiest way to ease myself into the aesthetic and the charm of the series.. And well, it worked. Within a months time I wanted to pickup the series right from the start. I thought maybe I'd give Dragon Warrior 1 a try, but a friend of mine convinced me instead to pickup Dragon Quest I & II for the SFC instead.

I enjoyed my playthrough of it pretty well, using the RPGOne translation to aid me in my quest to undo the evils of the Dragonlord and foul Hargon! ..Sadly though I noticed a lot of textual errors as I played, not to mention a lot of oddities with how things were named! I was concerned at times, and frustrated at others as I ran into a number of serious bugs in DQ2 that were complete show-stoppers! Given that I have a history of not being able to leave well enough alone, and knowing that RPGOne has long since disbanded and its founder sadly no longer with us, I decided to take of the reigns a bit and do what I could to polish up this fine translation.

The Project Goal:
Originally my goal with this was simply to correct a few names and fix a couple of bugs. This didn't satisfy me though, as the longer I played the games the more I found they needed fixing. While RPGOne did an amazing job with the translation itself in general, their localization of certain things seemed to suffer a bit from either being too literal, or at times taking a bit too much from DW1's original localization.. which today is mired in inaccuracies when compared to more recent DQ releases over here in the west. This is to say nothing of the unfortunate bugs they missed as well, there are numerous text formatting oddities, overflows, and outright softlocks riddled throughout the games.

Thus before I knew it, I set out to re-localize many aspects of the game. My goal as a whole right now is to have everything align as closely as possible with modern Dragon Quest titles, and possibly even draw a bit from the iOS and Android remakes that were released since the conception of RPGOne's translation. The focus mainly being enemy names, spell names, item names, and whatever dialogue felt a bit awry.

Current Changelog:
View Readme

Screenshot Comparisons:
Spoiler:
Left: RPGOne
Right: Current Project

Project Status:
Currently undergoing testing! Trying to squash any remaining bugs hiding away, and make any changes necessary to reflect the name changes of items and enemies where possible. A lot of effort is going into making this as professional and polished as possible. Currently no set window is in place for an official release, but alpha testing is open for everyone here.

Download:
Enix Style Re-Localization + Bug Fixes - Alpha 3
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 07:45:49 am by Krisan Thyme »

Digitsie

• View Profile
Re: Dragon Quest I & II: Translation Revision\Relocalization
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 05:40:07 pm »
Just a heads up - I noticed someone made an update in http://www.romhacking.net/translations/337/

Quote: 'UPDATE: As of August 2016: There’s still some untranslated text in Dragon Warrior 1. If you rescue the princess and don’t bring her to the king, when you defeat the last boss and go back to the king, there will be different ending dialogue that was left untranslated.'

Have you encountered anything like this?

Krisan Thyme

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 06:32:05 pm »
Yeah I noticed that myself. I haven't encountered it, though.
I recently did a quick run without saving the Princess, and the King didn't say anything unusual\bugged\untranslated.
But it's hard to say, there's been a lot more that's needed fixing than I originally anticipated, so it's entirely possible.

I'm not sure if these things were somehow missed in testing, or if RPGOne's project was just very turbulent in development. (I've heard the latter.)
Either way, I'd like to dedicate this patch to ChrisRPG, as I feel like he'd want to see this game polished up more than anyone.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 01:07:02 am »
Just going over your list. I guess this has to do with modern naming but some spells in DQII might sound confusing being the original localization described what they do. Fairy is the correct spelling of the flute FYI. Fairies (or what you are probably trying to do is Faerie's) would be the plural spelling. Still I love the idea of giving the game much needed polish.

Krisan Thyme

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 01:41:47 am »
Just going over your list. I guess this has to do with modern naming but some spells in DQII might sound confusing being the original localization described what they do. Fairy is the correct spelling of the flute FYI. Fairies (or what you are probably trying to do is Faerie's) would be the plural spelling. Still I love the idea of giving the game much needed polish.
The idea is indeed modern localization, as close to what Enix has it as today anyway.
As for the flute.. I'm mostly basing its name off of what the current wikis seem to list it as: http://dragon-quest.org/wiki/Faerie_Flute
I've heard it was localized as this in the Anroid\iOS version of DQ I, but I can't confirm that at the moment. (I need to see if I can dig up one of my android devices.) If it really is incorrect though, I'll change it back happily. Anything you or anyone else could help with in terms of naming would be absolutely fantastic as far as I'm concerned.

Edit:
Sure enough, "faerie flute" is indeed how SE localized it officially.
Spoiler:
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 08:33:01 am by Krisan Thyme »

w1ck3d

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 11:24:00 am »
Not really a fan of renaming everything to what they're called in sequels & remakes, but the fixes to glitches, scripting, etc sounds great.

Don't forget there's the hardware title screen fix and there's this too:
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,19449.msg313144.html

Krisan Thyme

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 06:49:51 pm »
I understand it's not necessarily the most popular decision to update the names, but personally I'm all about consistency. If a game is localized, the last thing in the world I want to see are names changing as I progress through the series.. It gets confusing when characters refer to places, enemies, and items that I've already encountered by different names. As I see it, it'd be best if every game had a degree of consistency to them where you could play from start to finish without any level of confusion along the way.

That said, I might try to cobble together a fix patch with nothing else changed. It probably isn't realistic to please everyone, but I'd like to try to make as many people happy as possible, as I've grown to love these two games quite fast.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 07:09:05 pm »
I'm actually looking forward to the renaming, but then again my experience has been mostly using the newer terminology.  Also hurrah for bugfixes!

I agree with the idea of having two versions with one being without the name changes though.  I ended up having three in my FFT name fixing patch. :P

Asaki

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2017, 02:19:56 am »
The idea is indeed modern localization, as close to what Enix has it as today anyway.

I wouldn't go super modern...as much as I love Enix, the newer translations really bother me with all of the impossible-to-read Scottish accents spelt out (I forget what this is called), and all of the pun-happy monster names.

I thought Nob's translations in the Game Boy Color remakes were great. Sort of a middle ground between NES and modern, and there are plenty of bonuses and unlockables added in since the SNES remakes.

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 10:22:35 pm »
This is probably beyond the scope of your project, but if you manage to find where the music files are stored then it would be nice to see if someone could do a MSU-1 patch of the games.

Krisan Thyme

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2017, 10:51:03 pm »
I wouldn't go super modern...as much as I love Enix, the newer translations really bother me with all of the impossible-to-read Scottish accents spelt out (I forget what this is called), and all of the pun-happy monster names.

I thought Nob's translations in the Game Boy Color remakes were great. Sort of a middle ground between NES and modern, and there are plenty of bonuses and unlockables added in since the SNES remakes.
I wasn't originally intending to redo the entire script, just correct overflows, crashes, glitches, and update the terms of items, monsters, and such as necessary. I have since then considered doing a full script update, but I don't think that will be part of this particular project, and will end up as its own translation effort if it does indeed happen. So no need to worry about that right now.

This is probably beyond the scope of your project, but if you manage to find where the music files are stored then it would be nice to see if someone could do a MSU-1 patch of the games.
I mean I could look into it, but the whole MSU-1 jazz is pretty new to me (never saw anything like it back in the old days, that's for sure!), so I definitely can't make any promises there.

Synnae

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2017, 06:20:07 pm »
Will you also fix the bugs and polish that DQVI translation by NoPrgress? That one is in need of an update as well, since it's pretty bugged and some text remains untranslated.

I mean I could look into it, but the whole MSU-1 jazz is pretty new to me (never saw anything like it back in the old days, that's for sure!), so I definitely can't make any promises there.

I don't care about MSU-1 since I prefer to hear the original audio. But if you end up making that, please, make it optional.

Krisan Thyme

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2017, 02:09:52 am »
I've added the current Alpha to the first post. If anyone wants to test and report their findings, feel free. I'm pretty sure most of the major bugs and text overflows are fixed, but some typography errors and obscure bugs might remain. Some other errors related to item or enemy changes might have occurred from my changes as well. (The way this game handles item names is incredibly messy, and as a result a lot of instances for item names need to be updated. I've gotten quite a few of them already, but some probably remain.)

Should be patched on a clean headerless ROM.

Will you also fix the bugs and polish that DQVI translation by NoPrgress? That one is in need of an update as well, since it's pretty bugged and some text remains untranslated.
Possibly. Ideally I'd like all the DQ games to have a definitive bug-free translation of some kind. I feel like DQ III also needs a bit of love, recently been playing through it as well and the current SNES translation seems to have some iffy things in it. (Names being cutoff, Merchants giving glitchy appraisals, etc..) Currently I'm just working on this by myself, so it's a bit slow going, but if I can I'd like to broaden out to other DQ's in time.

I don't care about MSU-1 since I prefer to hear the original audio. But if you end up making that, please, make it optional.
Oh for sure, that isn't something that should be a mandatory at all. Definitely more of a flavor thing as a bonus patch.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 02:49:43 am by Krisan Thyme »

Reiska

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2017, 06:07:45 am »
As I recall, the DQ3 patch has a showstopper bug that occurs if you save the game with someone other than the hero in the front of the party.  I don't remember the details, and it may be confined only to specific save points - I know Dharma is one for certain.

Krisan Thyme

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2017, 11:21:41 am »
As I recall, the DQ3 patch has a showstopper bug that occurs if you save the game with someone other than the hero in the front of the party.  I don't remember the details, and it may be confined only to specific save points - I know Dharma is one for certain.
The more I play through DQ III, the buggier the translation seems to be. It's pretty disheartening to see these kinds of issues in projects where a great deal of work was obviously put into them, but I guess it's not exactly uncommon for these types of projects to die out before they've been fully polished.. It'll probably be one of the next projects I take up honestly, though a daunting one at that.. DQ III was very ambitious and has a lot of dialogue to sift through.

gameboy9

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2017, 10:07:01 am »
Krisan, I ran into an issue with getting the Fairy Flute; I wound up softlocking the game somehow.  Please view the entire gameplay here for more information:  https://www.twitch.tv/videos/118238124

Thanks for looking into this!  :)

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2017, 10:33:00 am »
1. If you don't feel like doing it when you're done, I am perfectly capable of producing a "NES Nomenclature" version of your mod to DQ1+2. I would prefer not to work with 3 or anything after, as my skills and propensity for computer work are not that plentiful at the moment...

But as long as nobody needs a deadline, I can hex edit as well as the next guy.

2. I would avoid taking on too much too soon...you say you want to repolish DQ1-6, and I want you to do that. I would enjoy seeing that happen, personally, I have played 1-6 (and 8), and they are fantastic games. But they grow increasingly heavy on text by leaps and bounds as you get past 2. Be cautious; that's an actual crapton of work. You are talking about redoing dialogue in every nook and cranny of the game from start to finish unless absolutely nothing needs to be changed, which I guess will not be often.

Take your time. No deadlines. Just relax and try, the universe loves a tryer.

...Edit...I am going to leave the sunglasses guy there, just to point out what happens when you try to add a parenthetical 8 to a list of numbered entries in a series you are talking about. :D
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 10:39:19 am by Spooniest »
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

Krisan Thyme

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2017, 11:01:19 pm »
Krisan, I ran into an issue with getting the Fairy Flute; I wound up softlocking the game somehow.  Please view the entire gameplay here for more information:  https://www.twitch.tv/videos/118238124

Thanks for looking into this!  :)
Thanks!
I've upped a new version with a fix for that, appreciate the testing! (It's hard for me sometimes to catch these things on my own.)

1. If you don't feel like doing it when you're done, I am perfectly capable of producing a "NES Nomenclature" version of your mod to DQ1+2. I would prefer not to work with 3 or anything after, as my skills and propensity for computer work are not that plentiful at the moment...

But as long as nobody needs a deadline, I can hex edit as well as the next guy.
If you want to, by all means. Would save me a bit of time and let me work on one of my many other projects instead.

2. I would avoid taking on too much too soon...you say you want to repolish DQ1-6, and I want you to do that. I would enjoy seeing that happen, personally, I have played 1-6 (and 8), and they are fantastic games. But they grow increasingly heavy on text by leaps and bounds as you get past 2. Be cautious; that's an actual crapton of work. You are talking about redoing dialogue in every nook and cranny of the game from start to finish unless absolutely nothing needs to be changed, which I guess will not be often.

Take your time. No deadlines. Just relax and try, the universe loves a tryer.

...Edit...I am going to leave the sunglasses guy there, just to point out what happens when you try to add a parenthetical 8 to a list of numbered entries in a series you are talking about. :D
I mean, realistically DQ I & II is my only real focus right now. I really want these two to be in a nice state for future and returning players. DQ III though.. ugh, the more I play through it the worse the issues with its current translation present itself. I really really want to fix some things in it, but I don't know if I'll have the time. Anything after DQ III is worth investigating, but I definitely don't see it happening anytime soon. (Plus DQ IV-VIII all have handheld remakes on DS and 3DS at this point, with official translations. So they don't need the attention quite as badly as I - III do.)

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2017, 02:06:02 am »
I dunno...something about this whole business just seems academic to a musical person sometimes. Perhaps this is completely off the subject, but is it weird that when I think of Dragon Quest, I don't think of the script or what the items are called, or what the monsters look like even.

I think of this thing here.

...Utter tangent, I know... :/ Sorry. Have a picture.

I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

Krisan Thyme

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2017, 03:19:43 am »
Upped Alpha 3 for anyone that's interested. I expanded the enemy selection window in battle, so now longer names can be displayed.
Spoiler:
Before > After

I dunno...something about this whole business just seems academic to a musical person sometimes. Perhaps this is completely off the subject, but is it weird that when I think of Dragon Quest, I don't think of the script or what the items are called, or what the monsters look like even.

I think of this thing here.

...Utter tangent, I know... :/ Sorry. Have a picture.

Honestly I just wanted to fix the bugs first and foremost, and for the most part I think I've tackled all of them now. (That I know of, anyway.)
I just had some spare time and decided to take it a few steps further and change the names to better match Enix location standards.
So.. Yeah, pretty academic I guess! And in complete fairness, I'm a very academic type of person! Hehe!
I understand though, and don't worry about the tangent! Sometimes my favorite part about working on these projects are the discussions!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 09:05:31 am by Krisan Thyme »