News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Un-Worked Designs: Working Designs minus bullshit difficulty (Latest: Lunar 2)  (Read 162942 times)

Ms. Tea

• View Profile
Can you try this version, maybe? https://github.com/jmacd/xdelta-gpl/releases/tag/v3.1.0 I linked you to a 3.0 version of Xdelta because that was the newest I found a Windows binary for, but it looks like there's a Windows .exe file for 3.1.0 here.

I might have to look at adjusting the window size I used. I created the patch with a very large window size (range in which content shifts are examined) because files shifted position in this patch, and that keeps the size of the patch down. But it looks like that might have broken support for versions of Xdelta earlier than 3.1.0.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
Woo, finally! File patched successfully! Time to pop this bad boy into Fusion, then on my Wii if all is successful. Thanks for helping me figure this problem out. It really was a user error all along. I apologize. :-[

Edit 1 - One last notice. I normally load redbook audio games from the CUE to be careful, but it looked like the CUE wouldn't read the BIN. This was a simple fix; I just opened lunar2.cue in WordPad. Turns out, the CUE is looking for "lunar2.img". So, I renamed the file it should seek as "Lunar 2 - Eternal Blue.bin" and now there are no issues loading from the CUE. (You can load from the BIN just fine in Lunar 2's case, it seems)

Edit 2 - works great in fusion (win10) and genesis plus gx (wii)! thank you so much :)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 07:29:36 pm by vivify93 »
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Volkaru

• View Profile
Can you try this version, maybe? https://github.com/jmacd/xdelta-gpl/releases/tag/v3.1.0 I linked you to a 3.0 version of Xdelta because that was the newest I found a Windows binary for, but it looks like there's a Windows .exe file for 3.1.0 here.

I might have to look at adjusting the window size I used. I created the patch with a very large window size (range in which content shifts are examined) because files shifted position in this patch, and that keeps the size of the patch down. But it looks like that might have broken support for versions of Xdelta earlier than 3.1.0.
Is the name of the .bin supposed to change with this version?
The patcher doesn't throw out any errors, and makes the two .WAV files just fine. But the name of the .bin doesn't seem to change, nor does the modified date on it.

Ms. Tea

• View Profile
Is the name of the .bin supposed to change with this version?

The patcher doesn't throw out any errors, and makes the two .WAV files just fine. But the name of the .bin doesn't seem to change, nor does the modified date on it.

You either need to change the .bin's filename to lunar2.img after you patch, or you need to edit the new CUE sheet from my ZIP to point to the name of your .bin file. My new Lunar 2 patch isn't meant to be used with Supper's patcher, so you shouldn't have any .wav files after you've patched.

Edit 2 - works great in fusion (win10) and genesis plus gx (wii)! thank you so much :)

Great! I'm really glad to hear that!

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
Encountered a text bug in Lunar 1 SCD. On your first trip to Meribia, you can talk to this gentleman, who speaks to you about Mel.

If you talk to him a second time, he's supposed to repeat the line of dialogue in the third image. But it looks like there's a pointer issue, and he says this instead.

All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Guadozoku

• View Profile
Hey, out of curiosity how much text was in the Lunar games? I've heard some rather large numbers and I'd like to see if they wer accurate.

metalbabblesword

• View Profile
Hey Supper thanks a lot for your hacks!

I never played these 90's RPGs before, because I was in college by then and took a break from video games from about 1992 to the year 2000.

I was big into Dragon Warrior <sic> and Final Fantasy I on NES as a kid, but I never had a SNES, SCD, TGCE, or even a PS1 or later consoles until I grew up! Sort of grew up, that is.  ;)

Now I have a huge backlog of old games to catch up with! to say the least.

So I have no opinion about the difficulty of these games or the quality of their translations.  I am glad though, for people like yourself who have made it possible for me to play these old games with more options, and with translations they never had before.

Cheers! :)

Edit:

Okay so I patched Exile, Exile II, and Popful Mail, and the patched versions are all working in emulators!

However I only just started them, so I have no way of knowing if the patches are working right.

One odd thing, however:  while the MD5 hash of Exile II was correct before the UnWorked patch, the hash of the patched iso is not as predicted.

After patching, Exile2UnWorked_02.iso has a MD5 hash of 6ed8c93c6d21e50ab9cab154840e906d, rather than e0cbe24d42bfd60a11ff73e1fb04c148 as stated in the readme.

Don't know what difference it makes, because the game still boots up.

Well anyway that's all FWIW.

Thanks again for your efforts, Supper!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 01:49:21 am by metalbabblesword »

Duran

• View Profile
I was only able to get the unworking patched files for the PSX versions of the Lunar SSC and EB, but not for the other games..
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 08:11:28 pm by Duran »

GhaleonUnlimited

• View Profile
OP, really appreciate your work on TCRF for the SEGA CD Lunars, which are still in my Top 3 all-time! I just read through them.

I might mention though, that I feel like it's kind of strange to have some much editorializing on those pages about how much you dislike Working Designs. Your welcome to your opinion of Working Designs, but not everyone needs to share that opinion. :/ And isn't too much editorializing what you dislike about WD in the first place?

I'm not going to try to change your opinion about their localization style, but I just wanted to mention that :)

I think the difficulty patch for Popful Mail is a great idea especially. Playing through it again recently, I was surprised at how tough it was.

I'm very glad to finally have made a contribution to the ROM hacking community, and it's pretty awesome how much passion we all have for games this old, and our commitment to make playing them fun and relevant for the modern era.

Thanks for your work!

Duran

• View Profile
When I drag and drop the bin/cue files to the binpatch I get the Unworked wav files in the folder, but not the ISO file. This applies to the Sega CD and PC-Engine games. I am not sure what to do afterwards. I would appreciate it if someone could help me patching the games.

julayla

• View Profile
This is great so far. I wonder though if you'll be doing undubs and/or fandubs for the games as well.

EDIT:
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 12:30:48 am by MathOnNapkins »

butane bob

• View Profile
This is great so far. I wonder though if you'll be doing undubs and/or fandubs for the games as well.

EDIT:

Full re-writes of the scripts would be more important at this stage. We need to get rid of all the horribly out of date memes and dick/fart jokes first.

Gara

• View Profile
Like everyone else has said, I'm really grateful for these patches! I especially love the mixed-case font in the Lunar games.

I put together a fixed version of the Lunar 2 patch; this should fix the skipping and desyncs during cutscenes. I've already sent it to Supper, and I think he's planning on packaging it up properly, but I figured I'd share a version of it here too! This version of the patch is meant to be applied directly to the .bin file from a BIN/CUE set. The ZIP includes a new CUE sheet along with CloneCD .ccd and .sub files that can be used after it's been patched.

https://public.drac.at/LunarEternalBlueUnWorked2.0.zip

EDIT: Added the fixed URL.

Thank you for this. This fixed the sync issues I was having on real hardware. At first I was paranoid my laser was going out.

Redd

• View Profile
Is there a patch for the ReDump version of Popful Mail? Because the patch here assumes there's a bin file and 3 wav files, while the ReDump version has the following files:

Popful Mail (USA) (Track 1).bin
Popful Mail (USA) (Track 2).bin
Popful Mail (USA) (Track 3).bin
Popful Mail (USA) (Track 4).bin

Tyrantnyx

• View Profile
Is there a patch for the ReDump version of Popful Mail? Because the patch here assumes there's a bin file and 3 wav files, while the ReDump version has the following files:

Popful Mail (USA) (Track 1).bin
Popful Mail (USA) (Track 2).bin
Popful Mail (USA) (Track 3).bin
Popful Mail (USA) (Track 4).bin
You can use Binchunker to convert it to Bin/Wav format.

julayla

• View Profile
Sounds good. It'd be nice to play an undub (with English sub) version of Popful Mail.

saldite

• View Profile
Figured I'd throw out there as a general test report that, while I'm not sure how much this qualifies as "real" hardware, the Eternal Blue Complete patch is working just fine on my PS1 from my PSIO and loads past the point the other tester was reporting freezing.

VicVergil

• View Profile
OP, really appreciate your work on TCRF for the SEGA CD Lunars, which are still in my Top 3 all-time! I just read through them.

I might mention though, that I feel like it's kind of strange to have some much editorializing on those pages about how much you dislike Working Designs. Your welcome to your opinion of Working Designs, but not everyone needs to share that opinion. :/ And isn't too much editorializing what you dislike about WD in the first place?

I'm not going to try to change your opinion about their localization style, but I just wanted to mention that :)

It's troubling that your differences of opinion led you to follow him across websites to tell him to shut up. He stopped doing these patches a while ago, and in the end no retranslation was ever successfully finished thanks to all the hate, shouldn't that be enough for you?

Griever_GF

• View Profile
Any plans for Elemental Gearbolt? Japanese version is so easier. I stucked in USA version and forced to switch to Japanese and read the story in Wikipedia after finishing the game.

arromdee

• View Profile
Any chance of a version of the Exile/Exile 2 patch that decensors the game, so "Klispins" are Christians, drug references kept, etc.?