News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Un-Worked Designs: Working Designs minus bullshit difficulty (Latest: Lunar 2)  (Read 97988 times)

Supper

• View Profile
    • stargood
i tried to apply the popful mail patch on the bin( i dragged the bin file to the bat file) it opened a cmd window, i saw the progress there. the windows closed by itself.
i tested and the first enemie was damaging me with 12 points instead of 10 of japanese versions. the mages enemies give me 20 points of damage instead of 10. ok. maybe i will see the diference on the store, i thinked. the prices:
amulet 1500 gold
orange 90 gold
cherry 180 gold

its all the same. the patch didnt worked.

the rom was downloaded on -- mention of specific rom site excised --. can someone help me?

Well, that could be a number of things. Just to be sure, you did run the "PopfulMailUnWorked.cue" file and not your original CUE, right? The patcher doesn't touch your original files; it makes a copy and patches that.

Otherwise, I'll probably have to get you to run the patcher from the command line to see if you're getting any error messages. I should probably have set it up to log to a text file to make things easier, but too late for that.

legendarysnake1

• View Profile
Well, that could be a number of things. Just to be sure, you did run the "PopfulMailUnWorked.cue" file and not your original CUE, right? The patcher doesn't touch your original files; it makes a copy and patches that.

Otherwise, I'll probably have to get you to run the patcher from the command line to see if you're getting any error messages. I should probably have set it up to log to a text file to make things easier, but too late for that.

man thank you so much! i didnt know i had to run the PopfulMailUnWorked.cue file. i always rename that file to combine with the bin file. the author should be more explicit in the text file about run the unworked.cue file. i tought it modified all the bin and cue files.

now at first its everything okay. 10 damage in the first enemy, the magic attack it give me 10 damage instead of 20. and oh my god, the prices. jesus crist, how worked designs fucked up this so bad?

Amulet 100
orange 60
cherry 120

vs

amulet 1500 gold
orange 90 gold
cherry 180 gold

why were they thinking raising 1500% the price of the amulet?! im so glad that the game is finally patched. im near the end but fuck this, im gonna restart to replay the game in the way it was originally designed in japan. i only have fun in the first world cause it was more easy.

thanks again man.

gideovame

• View Profile
This is really impressive, I was always concerned about what working designs did to Alundra. When I played it over a decade ago, I always thought the bosses had way way way too much hp, and this confirms it.

Are you doing anything with silhouette mirage, another game that working designs made far too hard? Even though for now I have to deal with the water down translation, it would be great to play with the original prices and non energy drain mechanics.

How are you doing these patches, is it something I might be able to help with?

elranzer

• View Profile
All of the Sega CD Working Designs games... Lunar 1 and 2, Popful Mail and Vay... I have no idea how I managed to beat them back in the day. I certainly did not 100% them.

I've tried playing the all again recently in emulators but just couldn't get past the difficulty. Now I may give them a try again.

Tobas

• Need a Spanish translator? I'm your man.
    • View Profile
I just found out about these and holy shit I'm excited, are they hard to apply? Do you need a certain version of the game/iso?

Supper

• View Profile
    • stargood
I just found out about these and holy shit I'm excited, are they hard to apply? Do you need a certain version of the game/iso?

Anything should work as long as it's either BIN/CUE or ISO. If you're using an emulator, it needs to be able to handle ISO/WAV, since that's what the patcher outputs. The only game I've done so far that actually had multiple revisions was Alundra, and I included separate patches for the 1.0/1.1 versions.

And I really am still working... very, very slowly... on putting together new updates for these patches. I've been pointed to a disc mastering tool which will hopefully solve issues like the audio sync with Eternal Blue (or not -- it turns out the game "peeks" at the audio data as it plays to sync cutscenes, so the real problem may be the format conversion). Sorry if anyone's hanging on the edge of their seat for updates, but I've wound up taking on quite a few other projects lately.

chrisw80

• View Profile
Anything should work as long as it's either BIN/CUE or ISO. If you're using an emulator, it needs to be able to handle ISO/WAV, since that's what the patcher outputs. The only game I've done so far that actually had multiple revisions was Alundra, and I included separate patches for the 1.0/1.1 versions.

And I really am still working... very, very slowly... on putting together new updates for these patches. I've been pointed to a disc mastering tool which will hopefully solve issues like the audio sync with Eternal Blue (or not -- it turns out the game "peeks" at the audio data as it plays to sync cutscenes, so the real problem may be the format conversion). Sorry if anyone's hanging on the edge of their seat for updates, but I've wound up taking on quite a few other projects lately.

Awesome, thanks for the update on Lunar 2.

butane bob

• View Profile
Does anyone know if these patches work with the undubbed Magic Knight Rayearth on Saturn?

petregeus

• View Profile
Hey, everyone, I just registered because of this thread. I think it's really awesome that much deserved attention is being given to these great games. Popful Mail in particular is close to my heart.

I don't mean to jump in abruptly, but I was a dedicated pro translator for quite some time, did anime and manga, and later, software and legal. I'm in IT now, and my free time outside of work varies, but I'd like to offer myself as a resource, in case anyone needs maybe some spot translation, translation validation, or little things. I can't commit to any big projects at the moment because I'm already involved in one for an anime. But I couldn't resist this thread, so if there are any little bits or pieces of things where I can help bring clarity, please feel free to email or PM. :)

To be fair to Working Designs, I have never played in Japanese any of the games they localized, so I have no opinion whatsoever on their level of accuracy, competence, etc. On the other hand, I can relate to situations where there is a need to adapt some of the original content in order to make the product more marketable. But I can also relate to situations where adaptation gets a little out of hand or even tasteless. Hardcore fans will naturally hate it either way, and it may not be an optimal situation for the translators either, but, well, pro stuff is business, and business is of course a double-edged sword. I'm sure Vic Ireland and others would argue the same.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 11:15:46 am by petregeus »

Supper

• View Profile
    • stargood
Hey, everyone, I just registered because of this thread. I think it's really awesome that much deserved attention is being given to these great games. Popful Mail in particular is close to my heart.

I don't mean to jump in abruptly, but I was a dedicated pro translator for quite some time, did anime and manga, and later, software and legal. I'm in IT now, and my free time outside of work varies, but I'd like to offer myself as a resource, in case anyone needs maybe some spot translation, translation validation, or little things. I can't commit to any big projects at the moment because I'm already involved in one for an anime. But I couldn't resist this thread, so if there are any little bits or pieces of things where I can help bring clarity, please feel free to email or PM. :)

To be fair to Working Designs, I have never played in Japanese any of the games they localized, so I have no opinion whatsoever on their level of accuracy, competence, etc. On the other hand, I can relate to situations where there is a need to adapt some of the original content in order to make the product more marketable. But I can also relate to situations where adaptation gets a little out of hand or even tasteless. Hardcore fans will naturally hate it either way, and it may not be an optimal situation for the translators either, but, well, pro stuff is business, and business is of course a double-edged sword. I'm sure Vic Ireland and others would argue the same.

Hey, thanks! At this point I'm not planning to try to salvage the scripts -- honestly, I don't think I could be satisfied with anything short of a full retranslation -- but I really appreciate the offer.

As I've discovered from working on this, the interaction between translation, editing, and a commercial product is pretty complicated. Obviously, most people play games because they want to be entertained, and I think the majority of players don't really care if the translation is accurate or not as long as it's funny or interesting. It's also pretty clear the Japanese publishers licensing their games were more interested in having a maximally marketable product in the West than with preserving all the nuances of the original work. So yes, I understand there were a lot of pressures to "improve" the game and not a lot of incentives to keep things the same, and that's fair enough.

On the other hand, every time I read these games' scripts, I'm overwhelmed by the sheer egomania behind them. There's something very unreal about a Magic Knight Rayearth game where you can talk to an NPC standing in the ruins of their burned-down village and get a joke about adult diapers. Most editors at least try to adhere to the tone of the original work, but with this company I don't think that was ever in the cards. "Disrespectful" and "tasteless" are some of the milder words that come to mind.

The whole thing really just puts a bad taste in my mouth, which is part of the reason I've had this on the back burner lately in favor of fan translation projects. Commercial products or not, I think games deserve better than this, and merely reverting the difficulty without dealing with the other issues isn't terribly satisfying to me.

Anyway, thanks again for stopping by. I don't know if this would interest you, but I figured I'd mention -- I bumped into someone a few months ago who was interested in commissioning a proper translation of Silhouette Mirage's script. If you're looking for some paying side work, I could see if they're still game.

Does anyone know if these patches work with the undubbed Magic Knight Rayearth on Saturn?

Sorry, I meant to reply to this earlier but managed to forget about it. Unfortunately, it has almost no chance of working because, unlike IPS patches, xdelta patches have to be used on exactly the right source data. You're probably not missing much anyway, since I'm guessing the undub patch doesn't restore the voice acting that was disabled in the American version, which is most of it.

TimeCop

• View Profile
Good work. Are these ready to be submitted to the RHDN database?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 07:43:46 am by TimeCop »

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
Good work. Are these ready to be submitted to the RHDN database?
That's a good question. They are more than worthy and would be, I think, welcomed to the database.

NetSphereEngineer

• View Profile
Great work man!

If only I could get my hands on a undubbed version with a script close to the original Japanese version of Popful Mail someday!

I really prefer things closer to the original and never understood why translators try to westernize everything :(

Stremon

• View Profile
That is awesome!!
Great work man, it's exactly what I needed  ;D

Homme Crabe

• View Profile
Hello Supper and thank you for your amazing work! I was wondering if you could release a patch for the French version of Alundra. It's the only version missing and the one I need :P I have a dump of the game if required. Anyway, thank you for your time! Cheers!

skwatter

• View Profile
Exile patching difficulties
« Reply #335 on: March 12, 2018, 09:39:14 pm »
Hello, I'm having some issues patching my copy of this game.
It is a Bin/cue rip, the THX-1138 darkwater version and I am using the bin version of the batch files.
When I drag and drop the BIN file onto the executable a dos prompt opens for a few seconds and long streams of data flow across the screen at top speed and then the window closes.
No new file is generated.
Am I using a bad rip? Where does the file output?
Thanks very much for your great work!! :)

lantern48

• All your ring are belong to us.
    • View Profile
Hi, thank you for all the work you put in this and for sharing.

I've successfully done everything except for the Playstation Lunar games. There're no instructions on how to split the .bin into 3 files. First you say there's a program that can do it, but that you can't recommend one. Then you say it can be done manually and you provide some specification numbers, but don't explain what to do with them.

Can someone please explain how to split the .bin file into 3 files?
Thanks in advance for any assistance provided.

Stremon

• View Profile
Hey Supper,

Thank you very much for your hard work, I have been trying your patches and it clearly improve the games experience, it's awesome!
And the patches are really well done, very easy to use and well explained.

I had just a small question, do you think there is a way to make your Magic Knight Rayearth patch with the undub version of the game?
Would love to play the US english game with your patch + orignal voice :P
I tried to patch it manually but since the image isn't the same with the undub version it fails :'(

True

• View Profile
Thank you for your hard work, I patched and finished Lunar SSSC without problems in my PSP, is possible to restore the portraits in Lunar 2 Eternal Blue PSX from the japanese version? I Like them more than the WD version, without the borders, thanks in advance.

PD: Sorry for my english, not native language.

Fionordequester

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
You know, I'd been looking at Exile 2 recently, due to how people were talking about it in this thread.  And as I watched the ending of it...

Well, you gotta give Working Designs credit for one thing; they REALLY knew how to cast their voice actors!  This scene here's amazing for the time it came out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMqk_y-g6As

That being said...I've never played the game before, so I'm confused on one thing.  Why wasn't Sadler posessed along with his friends?  Did he have some special immunity to that thing's waves of hatred, or whatever?  Just wondering, since there doesn't seem to be a lot of folks who've even heard of the game, let alone played it.