News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Metroid Rogue Dawn  (Read 8012 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Metroid Rogue Dawn
« on: January 15, 2017, 01:19:25 am »

Update By: Grimlock

After two and a half years of development we are proud to bring you the most comprehensive full scale team effort hack of the original Metroid!  Rogue Dawn is a completely new Metroid game based on the foundation of the original NES Metroid game engine.  New graphics, music, items, and countless other modifications!

Rogue Dawn is an unofficial prequel to the original Metroid game released in 1986.  30 years later we bring you the events that unfolded before Samus’s famous “Zero” mission on planet Zebes.  The original Metroid manual tells us about a deep-space research spaceship that was attacked.  Pirates seized a capsule said to contain a newly discovered life form in a state of suspended animation.  Rogue Dawn surrounds these events that led up to the theft of the capsule which ultimately placed the Metroid’s under the control of Ridley and the Mother Brain.  The mission to acquire the capsule is placed in the hands of one of Ridley’s best kept secrets.  A rogue human agent trained and manipulated by Ridley from a young age.  Taken as a child from a Federation colony obliterated by Ridley’s faction she was initially just another test subject slated to undergo horrific experiments.  Ridley decided to instead manipulate and mold her into a weapon, his first human servant and dark agent.  Primed yet untested she is sent out on her “zero” mission to retrieve a newly discovered biological specimen in the possession of a Federation research crew orbiting planet SR388 and prove her worth.  Her name is Dawn Aran!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
Re: ROM Hacks: Metroid Rogue Dawn
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 05:42:50 am »
So I've been playing for over an hour and haven't made any progress besides finding a few missile tanks. Any hints?

Also is there a recommended emulator? I've noticed that the jump movement gets choppy here and there in nestopia.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

MasterGwonam

• Restricted Access
  • Soldier of Squad Allah
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 06:45:36 am »
This is gorgeous!

CrocMagnum

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 08:20:36 am »
Holy Cow! The Speed! ^^ Also the game is much more responsive than the original.

Oh and did I mention the graphics? Gorgeous indeed!
Kudos to the many contributors of this campaign: you are A-W-E-S-O-M-E!! :crazy:

Pity the world if you fail Spirit Monk, for you are the last. (Jade Empire)

FaustWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 03:08:18 pm »
Congrats to the team behind this on a project well done! Just gave it a download and I'm really digging it so far. I'm especially in love with the level design, with the little secret planted right outside the starting room and how the dual access points to the world give the game a nonlinear feel right off the bat. And that map system, wowza!
Verve Fanworks: We shall shew thee here the force of our arms!

Grimlock

• Graphics Artist, Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 08:33:59 pm »
So I've been playing for over an hour and haven't made any progress besides finding a few missile tanks. Any hints?

Also is there a recommended emulator? I've noticed that the jump movement gets choppy here and there in nestopia.

I would recommend using FCEUX.  Regarding getting lost have a look at the pause map, there's markers that can help give you direction.  There is also now a printable version of the pause map available in our main thread - page one, first post.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 10:27:53 am »
Thanks.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

liraman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 12:46:35 pm »

I was unable to progress at the beginning too,  i was trying to find bombs to explode numerous rocks that prevent my advance, but then i discovered that missiles work too, so try to find those paths blocked with a suspicious rock square  and use a missile to destroy it.  (only a few can be destroyed as you can only fire missiles while standing)

hope this helps

IAmCaptPlanet

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 05:20:56 pm »
Holy Cow! The Speed! ^^ Also the game is much more responsive than the original.

I would LOVE to have a hack for the vanilla Metroid that had the speed and controls of this hack.

If it also had the map and saving would be awesome (the up + a + b saving, not using controller 2 like the Metroid + Saving hack).

Does that exist for the vanilla game?

Oh and did I mention the graphics? Gorgeous indeed!

gotta agree, this is a very pretty hack. VERY pretty

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 02:12:14 pm »
Congratulations! Blew past the 3000 mark, currently at 3099 downloads!  :beer:

WHOA! UP TO 7377 DOWNLOADS! NICE!  :laugh:
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 03:21:09 pm by mrrichard999 »

snark

• 晴天の霹靂
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 12:11:30 am »
This is amazing and I am very glad that you guys took the time to do this. A long-time wish granted! :D
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."

Real_Character

• Restricted Access
  • A 16-bit character in a 2-bit world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 12:35:12 am »
I like it. Looks very well done. Might put this off for the nes flash cart I'm getting.

mrrichard999

• View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2017, 12:28:57 am »
Congratulations on breaking 10,000 downloads!  :beer:

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2017, 01:15:07 am »
Congratulations on breaking 10,000 downloads!  :beer:

Thanks, we never anticipated this level of interest, it's been a pretty neat experience.  Between RHDN and Metroid Construction we had over 12,000 downloads in the first week!!!  :o

We've been getting a lot of great feedback on potential improvements and general bug reports.  As a result we're working on a pretty substantial update (version 1.20) that will refine the game and add additional goodies.  Most of the changes are complete so we should have the new version up for download pretty soon.   :thumbsup:

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2017, 12:01:41 pm »
I played a couple of hours of it yesterday. Graphics wise I love the animations and how organic everything is. A lot of effort was put into making it feel alien and it shows, it is absolutely fantastic. As for the gameplay/level design it was very good and very metroid like. I wouldn't say this is an entry level title on the series (and it shouldn't be) but I have made progress without much trouble and it was a lot of fun.

There is one thing that bugged me right at the start. There are foreground ladders that are only cosmetic. I would change those graphics so they don't look like ladders...

Also, a complaint of personal taste that is a minor spoiler:
Spoiler:
I really didn't feel like the screen warping you to a different area of the map seamlessly was very "metroidy". It feels strange and goes against the feel of completing a map. Made me feel like the map lost some of its importance.

All in all, this raises the bar in rom hacking quality. I'll reserve some time to play it to the end.

Grimlock

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2017, 11:56:43 am »
There is one thing that bugged me right at the start. There are foreground ladders that are only cosmetic. I would change those graphics so they don't look like ladders...

Also, a complaint of personal taste that is a minor spoiler:
Spoiler:
I really didn't feel like the screen warping you to a different area of the map seamlessly was very "metroidy". It feels strange and goes against the feel of completing a map. Made me feel like the map lost some of its importance.

All in all, this raises the bar in rom hacking quality. I'll reserve some time to play it to the end.

Regarding the ladders it's just a cosmetic filler, I've considered removing them, I actually did in a few locations before the Beta 3 play testing.  I'm not too concerned about them at this point.  I know it's on the list of non-Metroidy thing's but I never set out to copy any particular art or design style from any of the official Metroids.

Regarding your other point:
Spoiler:
Some of the warping has been reworked, I know it's on the non traditional Metroidy design list also but several of them are there for two reasons and can't be (shouldn't be) removed.  For one they allowed me to create a much more vast world since the actual grid size you can construct screens on is rather limited.  The second reason is that they warp the player back to the beginning after beating the area instead of making them traverse all the way through the way they got there, I wanted to keep the player moving forward.  There are three warping areas that don't fall into these two categories and two have been reworked, one to remove the warping, a second to add an alternate path.  I think I've addressed most of the complaints in our final update 1.20 (work in progress).

mrrichard999

• View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2017, 03:12:06 am »
Looks like the repro-cart scum are salivating over future sales on this.... Already see carts for sale..
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 02:04:22 am by mrrichard999 »

Psychlonic

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2017, 02:21:45 pm »
This hack is starting to go viral on the web being headlined as a "fan game".

...You know what that's going to mean.
Just another old and grumpy gamer. Don't mind me.

keymonkey

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Metroid Rogue Dawn - Boot issue
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2019, 08:34:33 am »
I just loaded the game onto my Gameshell but it seems to crash when loading. Not sure if it is Nestopia or the game itself. Any hints or tips on troubleshooting?