News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: How best to colorize and convert monochrome GB games to GBC games?  (Read 4335 times)

delta7890

• View Profile
Hi there folks, completely new to any aspect of romhacking that isn't applying patches and enjoying the great releases many of you folks have put out.  I'd like to try my hand at things myself and I thought a fun way to start might be to colorize some old Game Boy games just as Metroid II and Super Mario Land have by the community.  I'm leaning towards Kirby's Dream Land as my first pick.

I can't say I have any experience in programming really but I have at least done simple things in the past like hex edits and things of that nature.  I guess what I'm asking for here to start is suggestions on which utilities to use to best facilitate this project.  Many thanks.  :D

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
Re: How best to colorize and convert monochrome GB games to GBC games?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 04:13:20 pm »
You'll need to know quite a bit of programming for this, as far as I can tell (I've never colorized any game).

There is a utility for colorizing games, but most things I've read about it say that it's a piece of shit full of bugs that shouldn't be used, so I'd avoid it.

So... The best way would be to learn how to program for the GBC. Read documentation about the hardware, its ASM language, etc. Then the only utilities you would need are a text editor and any GB assembler you like.

This seems like a good place to start: https://github.com/avivace/awesome-gbdev
There has to be a better life.

MysticalNinja

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 06:06:38 pm »
While this won't actually run on a Game Boy Color, Shonumi has created an emulator named GB Enhanced+ which allows some really crazy stuff. You don't even need programming experience, just time. You can even make the games 'HD' by replacing tiles and sprites with much higher res tiles/sprites. I started messing around, but I was trying to insert really hi-res stuff and it was crashing the emulator and at the time he hadn't expected someone to be trying that, but if you stick with tiles of the same size, just colorized, that should work.

I don't know if he's worked on it in a while, but the latest release is here: https://github.com/shonumi/gbe-plus/releases

On the right side of this page he has tutorials on how to dump the graphics and replace them with your own: https://github.com/shonumi/gbe-plus/wiki

Here's a sample of what someone was doing with Super Mario Land 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YKQlvB0lv0

talos91

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 03:28:29 am »
It is a crime that nobody has fully colorized the Mega Man gameboy games, specifically Mega Man V one of the best Mega Man games ever, anyone know of other tools to colorize gb games? I heard visual boy had some tool like that.

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2018, 05:15:17 am »
It is a crime that nobody has fully colorized the Mega Man gameboy games...

Why haven’t you?

/dACE 

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2018, 01:12:56 pm »
It is a crime that nobody has fully colorized the Mega Man gameboy games, specifically Mega Man V one of the best Mega Man games ever, anyone know of other tools to colorize gb games? I heard visual boy had some tool like that.

Well, considering Capcom themselves couldn't do it, I'd imagine it would be quite a task.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018