News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: [SNES] StarOcean translation into Spanish  (Read 8939 times)

justin3009

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Welp
    • View Profile
Re: [SNES] StarOcean translation into Spanish
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2017, 08:02:22 pm »
You are doing an absolutely amazing job with this. I love seeing your progress!
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2017, 09:20:12 am »
You are doing an absolutely amazing job with this. I love seeing your progress!

Thank you very much! You are an inspiration to me because of your work with Tales of Phantasia!!

Another fixed bug: when some character is at a fixed position on a town near the water, it should reflect on it. The reflection is controlled by tiletype $19, which creates a vertically flipped version of the sprite with the lowest priority to show it under BG3 (water). However, if character is at a fixed position, its movement handler is '3', which doesn't take into account if the sprite is over a tile of type $19:

I changed the handler so it calculates the character position on the map, check whether he's over a tile of type $19, and if so, creates the reflected sprite:

irvgotti452

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2017, 07:37:37 pm »
This thread is amazing (&RS3 too  ;D). Are these bug fixes going to be exclusive to the spanish translation?

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2017, 02:30:27 am »
This thread is amazing (&RS3 too  ;D). Are these bug fixes going to be exclusive to the spanish translation?

All these changes can't be inserted directly in Dejap's version, since I based my work on japanese version; besides, I moved big chunks of ASM code, optimized some routines, changed others, so it's not possible to create a patch for Dejap's version.
However, I dumped english script and could be inserted in a new english version made with my tools. If anybody is willing to do it, I could help in it.

azidahaka

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2017, 06:08:23 am »
All these changes can't be inserted directly in Dejap's version, since I based my work on japanese version; besides, I moved big chunks of ASM code, optimized some routines, changed others, so it's not possible to create a patch for Dejap's version.
However, I dumped english script and could be inserted in a new english version made with my tools. If anybody is willing to do it, I could help in it.

If you haven't been contacted yet by anyone interested in translating your work to italian i would love at the due time to take a look at it... That if the tools are user friendly enough :D

Have you found some blatant problems while working on your effort compared to the already existing english translation?

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2017, 09:36:21 am »
If you haven't been contacted yet by anyone interested in translating your work to italian i would love at the due time to take a look at it... That if the tools are user friendly enough :D

Have you found some blatant problems while working on your effort compared to the already existing english translation?

No, nobody has contacted me to translate it to italian, but they did to make it to other languages.

Looking for new bugs in the japanese version, I found this graphic, which I don't know what it means (beware of spoilers!):

Spoiler:

What is that thing that falls upon Iria?

I've fixed a big bug related to the numbers that appear in each attack, or after finishing a battle to show Fol and Experience. The routine that handles these numbers is the same, and all of them are treated as signed numbers, but exp and fol are 16bit unsigned. So, in the japanese version you get this;

And now is fixed in the spanish version:

azidahaka

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2017, 02:01:17 pm »
No, nobody has contacted me to translate it to italian, but they did to make it to other languages.

Looking for new bugs in the japanese version, I found this graphic, which I don't know what it means (beware of spoilers!):

Spoiler:

What is that thing that falls upon Iria?

I've fixed a big bug related to the numbers that appear in each attack, or after finishing a battle to show Fol and Experience. The routine that handles these numbers is the same, and all of them are treated as signed numbers, but exp and fol are 16bit unsigned. So, in the japanese version you get this;

And now is fixed in the spanish version:

That sprite seems to be a noise like Gan! Ka! or uch it popups too fast in the gif for my little knowledge to check properly while looking on my cellphone lol

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2017, 05:39:54 am »
Yes, you're right, it barely can be read in the gif. I didn't even think of it as a text, I thought it was a rare graphic:

azidahaka

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2017, 02:09:37 pm »
Gan!

You can chance it to any sound you feel better like

Blam
Slam
Do not remember this scene happening after so long lol

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2017, 09:06:13 am »
Gan!

You can chance it to any sound you feel better like

Blam
Slam
Do not remember this scene happening after so long lol

It's difficult to translate than kind of japanese onomatopeias; the context is the following:

Spoiler:
Iria and Ratix arrives to Astral and somebody kills Ryas in the night. Next morning, both you can go to the castle and go down to the underground where Fear is on jail. If you hit the guard, stole the keys and open the jail's door where Fear is keeped, the scene in the GIF occurs.

So I suppose "gan" can be translated as here:

http://www.muri.se/misc/soundfx.html

But... how do you represent that idea with an onomatopeia in english, spanish or italian, for example?

azidahaka

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2017, 11:50:11 am »
It's difficult to translate than kind of japanese onomatopeias; the context is the following:

Spoiler:
Iria and Ratix arrives to Astral and somebody kills Ryas in the night. Next morning, both you can go to the castle and go down to the underground where Fear is on jail. If you hit the guard, stole the keys and open the jail's door where Fear is keeped, the scene in the GIF occurs.

So I suppose "gan" can be translated as here:

http://www.muri.se/misc/soundfx.html

But... how do you represent that idea with an onomatopeia in english, spanish or italian, for example?

I think an hominous DON... would work well? like a scary warning bell

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2017, 12:31:17 pm »
I fixed the graphic with a widely used expression in spanish comics:

Maybe it doesn't make sense in other languages, but I think it matches pretty well with the context in spanish.

azidahaka

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2017, 04:49:11 pm »
Looks amazing  :thumbsup:

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2017, 02:54:33 pm »
Well, I finally dumped any and all data in the japanese ROM, including SPC samples, that were the last kind of data blocks to dump. I made a full map of all these data blocks that I just uploaded to RHDN, it will be ready for download in a couple of days.

Besides, I made a fully playable version of the spanish translation without using S-DD1 chip, ie, without compressing any graphic data, pretty much as Nevitski did in his 96 meg version. In fact, all uncompressed data results in a 65.5 Megabit ROM, which I just assembled to play in higan... but it doesn't work!!
I know higan uses "manifest.bml" to map the ROM file into SNES address map, and I created one myself which should works, but it doesn't. My ROM file is mapped this way:

Code: [Select]
FILE address                SNES address
------------                ----------------
$00:0000 to $3F:FFFF        $C0:0000 to $FF:FFFF
$40:0000 to $7D:FFFF        $40:0000 to $7D:FFFF
$7E:0000 to $7F:FFFF        none
$80:0000 to $80:7FFF        $00:8000 to $00:FFFF
$80:8000 to $80:FFFF        $01:8000 to $01:FFFF
$81:0000 to $81:7FFF        $02:8000 to $02:FFFF
$81:8000 to $81:FFFF        $03:8000 to $03:FFFF
$82:0000 to $82:7FFF        $04:8000 to $04:FFFF
$82:8000 to $82:FFFF        $05:8000 to $05:FFFF
$83:0000 to $83:7FFF        $06:8000 to $06:FFFF

And my manifest looks like this:

Code: [Select]
board region=ntsc
  rom name=program.rom size=0xc00000
   map address=00-3f:8000-ffff base=0x800000
   map address=40-7d:0000-ffff base=0x400000
   map address=80-bf:8000-ffff base=0xa00000
   map address=c0-ff:0000-ffff base=0x000000
  ram name=save.ram size=0x2000
    map address=20-3f:6000-7fff mask=0xe000

Any clue why is this bml not working?

Thanks!

RodriTaku

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2017, 05:42:50 pm »
You should probably go to the source itself, magno. Try asking byuu in his board (https://board.byuu.org)

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2017, 05:41:57 am »
You should probably go to the source itself, magno. Try asking byuu in his board (https://board.byuu.org)

Yes, I asked there too and I'm getting really usefult information. Just asked here too in case there were somebody else who knew about it.

BTW, you can get Star Ocean ROM layout from here.

RedScorpion

• View Profile
    • Snes-Projects
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2017, 03:08:34 am »
Hi magno,

you could use the bsnes+ version to test the "no sdd1" version!

For this emulation you only need the xml file.

Thanks

red

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2017, 06:43:58 am »
For this emulation you only need the xml file.

Yes, that was what I was trying to do, but xml syntax was obscure for me and there were some tricks that I didn't know; thanks to people on byuu's forum, now the "no S-DD1" version works in bsnes + :D

Fei Wong

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2017, 06:06:39 am »
So that means that someday we will have the patch in spanish released? I'm hoping that's the case  :P