News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: [SNES] StarOcean translation into Spanish  (Read 4208 times)

magno

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
Re: [SNES] StarOcean translation into Spanish
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2017, 02:39:23 pm »
I finished part of the intro, with colored text when the woman and the man talk.

Thanks to Hiei- for his help on the translation of the japanese text.

4ph

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2017, 04:58:45 am »
Great job Magno!  :thumbsup:

FlashPV

• View Profile
    • Terminus Traductions
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2017, 05:49:50 am »

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2017, 04:41:33 pm »
Thank you, guys! :D

I finished translating the whole intro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o1yQYevLn8

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2017, 04:47:31 am »
More news!

I fixed a bug that occurs both in dejap's and japanese versions:

The empty slot in the inventary still prints a description message in the upper window if you move the cursor forward, but not if you move it backwards.

I fixed it so the upper window is erased in both cases:

April 10, 2017, 06:25:52 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
More changes! Now, the window showing the list of availabe magic is more better-looking, and lists each item in 2 rows and 2 columns (instead 3); it is more legible, although it implied a lot of changes in the code. Besides, the description window that appears when selecting a magic or item is now resizeable, i.e., its size changes depending of the number of text lines in the description:

« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 06:25:52 am by magno »

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2017, 05:33:36 am »
New fixed bug! This one occurs both in japanese and Dejap's versions: when you are in the tech sub-menu and the combo page is changed, the hand cursor points to a new tech but the description is not updated:

I made the proper changes to force the description to be updated:

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2017, 11:19:39 am »
Replaying this right now, and I kind of wish some of this non-translation stuff could make it into the English version...

I'm a very big fan of the quality of life changes here!

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2017, 12:49:45 pm »
Replaying this right now, and I kind of wish some of this non-translation stuff could make it into the English version...

I'm a very big fan of the quality of life changes here!

Um... it'd be possible the other way round: inserting the english script into my tool rather than inserting my ASM changes into Dejap's version. All these changes I showed above aren't just "patches", there are some routines fully re-written instead. For example, almost all bank $CA, the one with the code for the menus, is rewritten, re-ordered and optimized to change the menu's layout and some cursor behaviour.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2017, 04:11:15 pm »
That's kind of what I figured---I hope an enterprising someone with more hacking skills than me (a very low bar) feels the same way after you're finished!

But it no one does....maybe I can figure out how to make my (extremely) low-level Spanish work to play your hack!

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2017, 05:07:06 am »
That's kind of what I figured---I hope an enterprising someone with more hacking skills than me (a very low bar) feels the same way after you're finished!

But it no one does....maybe I can figure out how to make my (extremely) low-level Spanish work to play your hack!

I'd do myself the insertion of Dejap's script into the spanish version if I wouldn't fell as if I would be desecrating Dejap's work. Besides, it's not likely people will be interested on those aesthetic changes.

Anyway, more bug fixes, now related to skill messages: after learning or leveling-up some skill, you press 'A' button but the description message won't dissapear:

This won't happen in the spanish vesion:

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2017, 03:24:27 pm »
I've found a weird scene change in a cut-scene near the ending... Maybe is it a bug?? Or another scene was intended to be played instead that of Ronixis going down the mechanical stairs?

You can see the video below, in the spoiler:

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2017, 02:13:51 pm »
I keep working on Star Ocean although is fully translated and playable. I dumped all and any LZ and S-DD1 data chunks, all sprite tileset and every palette from bank $CD to $FF. I also made a full rommap for all those banks: executable code is in banks $C0 to $CC, data, graphics, palettes and so on is in banks $CD to $FF and some LZ data, few S-DD1 data chunks and all music, voices and effects are from $40 to $5F in the ROM file (usually mapped to SNES $E0 to $FF), but I'm not interested on this part.

Now I'll try to extract all these data and insert them again reallocating in an optimum way to get the most free room possible.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2017, 05:36:25 pm »
Any extra room inside the normal ROM itself would be amazing. You CAN expand it to 8MB and use Bank Swapping but it's preferable to have as much room as possible in the original game size.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2017, 01:39:55 am »
Yes, I don't like expanding ROMs  ::)
I've got 5 Kbytes of free ROM by recompressing all the LZ data blocks (with an enhanced LZ algorith or the same Huffman tree used in dialogues) and I could get even more if I delete all unreferenced sprite tileset. I found about 100 sprite layout data which are not pointed by any sprite meta-data, so that could be safely removed.
My guess is that the full uncompressed ROM could take up about 80 megs and the S-DD1 compressed ROM about 42~44 megs (instead of 48).