News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Trying to find the dumbest terminology used in JRPGs  (Read 7256 times)

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
Re: Trying to find the dumbest terminology used in JRPGs
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2017, 10:41:56 pm »
tales of the abyss is just about the most jargon-happy tales game

shadowmanwkp

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2017, 02:29:48 am »
FFTA2 and probably some other final fantasy games use the term magick. It's just like regular magic, but the k makes it more kool, because.... Reasons. I found it so annoying to see magic spelled that way. Every. Single. Time. It's just incredibly unnecessary and feels lazy. The silver medal goes to using the term hume to describe a human. Once again, lazy and unnecessary. The icing on the cake is that the first final fantasy tactics advance just used the regular terms, so there was no precedence set to use those replacements.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2017, 03:40:07 am »
FFTA2 and probably some other final fantasy games use the term magick. It's just like regular magic, but the k makes it more kool, because.... Reasons. I found it so annoying to see magic spelled that way. Every. Single. Time. It's just incredibly unnecessary and feels lazy. The silver medal goes to using the term hume to describe a human. Once again, lazy and unnecessary. The icing on the cake is that the first final fantasy tactics advance just used the regular terms, so there was no precedence set to use those replacements.

Magic with a k on the end is a term in English. Today most would know it from Aleister Crowley's stuff, where he defined it so as to differentiate it from stage illusion and others have since ran with it, but it is an archaic term as well.

shadowmanwkp

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2017, 03:04:50 am »
Magic with a k on the end is a term in English. Today most would know it from Aleister Crowley's stuff, where he defined it so as to differentiate it from stage illusion and others have since ran with it, but it is an archaic term as well.

Really? I feel dumb now, I even did a google search to cover up my bases and came up with nothing.

LivingfortheNight

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2017, 03:50:12 pm »
heard this gem

"So, YOU'RE the one they sent, let me guess, think you can win huh? Don't tell me you believe that? ahahahahaha"

every anime/jrpg ever. really sets the mood of danger let me tell you....

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2017, 04:51:10 pm »
Magick is a product of Ivalice games after FFTA1.  Blame XII I think, even the original FTT's retranslation has that in there (along with other oddities).

The weirdest in FFT comes from the original though: Wiznaibus.

Spooniest

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2017, 10:31:27 pm »
Magick is a product of Ivalice games after FFTA1.  Blame XII I think, even the original FTT's retranslation has that in there (along with other oddities).

The weirdest in FFT comes from the original though: Wiznaibus.

Weirdest bit of nonsense, yes. The weirdest experience for me was hearing job reports.

"I got a good feeling!!" "This is the way!"

...What?
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

LivingfortheNight

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2017, 03:37:04 pm »
Weirdest bit of nonsense, yes. The weirdest experience for me was hearing job reports.

"I got a good feeling!!" "This is the way!"

...What?

"life is short....bury, steady sword"  the ability has nothing to do with any of this nonsense