News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Conker's High Rule Tail  (Read 19351 times)

Windy-kun

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Conker's High Rule Tail
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2017, 05:38:03 pm »
So since I dunno anyone else who can figure this out, can someone tell me what it is you're supposed to do in Dungeon X?
Spoiler:
It's the Parallel Tower ruins. I keep going through the door on the left you open by lighting the torches. Also lighting torches underwater, seriously? But basically I go through all the rooms, found the map but then the rooms just circle me back to the room where you spawn a platform to cross the floor with the pots on the right. I can't figure out what it is I'm supposed to do or where to go :/ I can't find any keys or anything!

Edit: Never mind, I figured it out but now I'm still lost. I'm wondering if I just missed an item somewhere cause I can't figure out how to lower the spikes.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 10:23:20 pm by Windy-kun »

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2017, 11:47:21 pm »
Is there some reason this has to be 1.2 GB?  Is it, like, uncompressed WAV or something..?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2017, 11:52:22 pm »
probably has to be in a certain format for MSU

kerberos7

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2017, 07:38:57 am »
So since I dunno anyone else who can figure this out, can someone tell me what it is you're supposed to do in Dungeon X?

Edit: Never mind, I figured it out but now I'm still lost. I'm wondering if I just missed an item somewhere cause I can't figure out how to lower the spikes.
The main trick of the Parallel Tower ruins is that the staircases don't lead back to the rooms where you came from but to new rooms. Which means if you constantly go back where you came from, and forward as well, you should be able to solve the entire dungeon. And you also need the upgraded scale to walk under water.

Is there some reason this has to be 1.2 GB?  Is it, like, uncompressed WAV or something..?
MSU requires the pcm files, which are as big as the uncompressed CD tracks. The main problem for the size is the triple amount of songs/voice actings and the video. Usually it should be 400 MB max for the soundtrack, but here its triple that due to so many new songs. But like said before, this is optional.

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2017, 08:05:56 pm »
MSU requires the pcm files
I guess building MSU support into the emulator was hard enough already without worrying about dealing with compression.

Still, would it be worth considering providing an MP3 or OGG soundtrack, with instructions that the end user will have to decompress them?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

kerberos7

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2017, 05:17:51 am »
The original soundtrack was made using the WAV file format, since this is how the music artist made the music tracks. The same format was used by the voice actor(s). This is the initial format. However, there are 2 problems: this format is compressed and not compatible with MSU, plus the tracks don't loop. This is why the conversion into PCM was necessary, plus the tracks needed to be made to loop correctly. This was done by a different person than the once who made the music and it is a complex process, which means the initial WAV files would do the end user no good, unless if he just wants to listen to music tracks outside of the game and with no looping.

Windy-kun

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2017, 07:35:00 pm »
The main trick of the Parallel Tower ruins is that the staircases don't lead back to the rooms where you came from but to new rooms. Which means if you constantly go back where you came from, and forward as well, you should be able to solve the entire dungeon. And you also need the upgraded scale to walk under water.
MSU requires the pcm files, which are as big as the uncompressed CD tracks. The main problem for the size is the triple amount of songs/voice actings and the video. Usually it should be 400 MB max for the soundtrack, but here its triple that due to so many new songs. But like said before, this is optional.

Am I missing an item? I decided to quit and just go check out the secret dungeon in the desert where you can get the Harp and now I find myself with yet another room with a crystal switch I can't reach with any item. Did I completely miss a power up or upgrade?

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2017, 07:36:53 pm »
I'm not sure I understand.

This was done by a different person than the once who made the music and it is a complex process.
Are you suggesting that it would not be possible to take the current "PCM" data, compress it with MP3, and then supply it to the end user with instructions on how to restore it to PCM?  I realize looping can be tricky, but after it's been done once, whatever data is required to add looping to a PCM file loop should be easy to restore, shouldn't it?

Gilou

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2017, 11:51:09 am »
Ok, I need a clue. Where is the upgrade to breathe underware?
Thanks.

MitsukuHackbot

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2017, 06:49:42 pm »
Ok, I need a clue. Where is the upgrade to breathe underware?
Thanks.

Are you sure you didn't mean underwear?

Gilou

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 24, 2017, 07:31:27 am »
I guess the word is underwater.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 05:06:17 am by Gilou »