News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Deadpool (Nes Hack)  (Read 12837 times)

NiO

• Let's bring order to chaos
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/retrogamersmx/
Re: Deadpool (Nes Hack)
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2017, 10:04:09 pm »
There's nothing wrong.

Glad you help us with it (our main language is not english)

Calm down Danger, it reads like an agressive answer.

BadChad

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2017, 02:30:32 am »
Maybe even something like "Hey Player, how did I get myself into this shit?".

If English isn't your first language, don't be afraid to ask for help on the forums. I'm sure most of us would be willing to point you in the right direction.

DANGER X

• Nes hacker & player
    • View Profile
    • Deadpool Nes
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2017, 10:55:01 am »
Hahah you guys think to much, is nothing aggressive in what I said, but when you said "Grammar is off" that wasn't to nice. Learn to comment without being rude man, even if you are right you will see no one will thanks you  :cookie:

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2017, 12:25:45 pm »
Not being rude so much as matter-of-fact, I think, but I'll keep it in mind.

NiO

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2017, 05:42:14 am »
Good news for those who wanted to test this hack.

DEADPOOL DEMO RELEASED

We will share our latest demo with you, so you can give us feedback, mostly in the gameplay deparment.
Keep in mind there is a ton of work to do, like cutscenes, text, and edit all remaning stages.

What will you find in this beta?

Stage 1, 2, 3 and 4 edited.
Sprite edits.
Added regeneration hability for Deadpool.
Changed enemy values.
Removed timer.
Wall climbing added like NG2-3.
Music randomly changed (we need help with the music department).
Sword slash attack doesn't affect bosses.
You can choose weapons with the Select button.

What can you expect later?
A new item to make the Sword Slash larger.

DOWNLOAD LINK: http://www.mediafire.com/file/ti9l58utin6rz4p/Deadpool-Demo-Version-10.4.ips

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2017, 05:32:40 pm »
This looks great! I'm mostly excited to try these new levels. Thanks!

NiO

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2017, 01:34:18 am »

New tittle screen edited, more enemis and stage edits have been done.
If some of you know someone who can edit or do music, let us know, we are having troubles with that.

Woodman

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2017, 10:22:06 am »
I'm currently looking into music hacking and am able to isolate certain parts of music from a rom but I haven't been able to write actual music how I want. If I get any further in this area I would love to help you, but for now you can mess with the music by finding an nsf file for deadpool, a nsf player, and a rom corrupter. For the player I use GNSF and for the corrupter I use Erosion, both of which can be found on Zophar's Domain. You find different parts of the music in the nsf by corrupting it and going through the songs until you find one that sounds messed up. Best of luck with this, from what I've heard it's tedious as all hell.

DANGER X

• Nes hacker & player
    • View Profile
    • Deadpool Nes
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2017, 11:14:00 am »
Thanks for your help, I will sure try these programs (I already have GNSF), I will let you know what I did tomorrow.

nesrocks

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2017, 04:02:54 pm »
Fceux's debugging tools are way better than blindly trying to figure out where a song is. Here is how:

1 - Open fceux, open the ROM on it.
2 - Start level 1 (in case you want to find level 1 music)
3 - Stand still in a spot where nothing happens and you can listen to the music. Now Open the Code/Data Logger, hit "Reset Log" and then hit "Start". Then you click "save stripped data" and save it to a file. Name it "file 1.nes" or something.
4 - Now let the music play for a couple of seconds and click "save stripped data" again. Save the file to "file 2.nes".
5 - Now get your favorite hex editting program that can compare files. I use Hex workshop. In it, you can open two files to compare them. You will choose file 1.nes and file 2.nes and it will tell you the difference between them. You skip to the next difference until you find a relatively very different spot.
6 - Now go to fceux, open the debug - hex editor, select "view" - "rom file" and scroll to the same address where hex workshop indicated a difference. If it is lit as blue, this must be the song. Change it to all FF and reset the game and see if the music is now silent or has a silent channel.
7 - If it has, then you can go to stage 1, stand still on a spot, reset the code data logger and start it. Let the game play the song for a while to make sure it has read all the notes in the song (it reads each one in real time). Then pause the emulator and go back to the hex editor and you will see exactly the whole song lit as blue (data). No need to guess where it is by ramdomly corrupting areas...

Of course, depending on the ROM size (big ROMS are more boring to scroll) you can skip the hex workshop and simply skip to step 7, pause the emulator and then scroll the hex editor until you find an area with a big chunk of blue bytes. Big chances are this is the music.

Woodman

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2017, 06:39:53 pm »
Fceux's debugging tools are way better than blindly trying to figure out where a song is. Here is how:

1 - Open fceux, open the ROM on it.
2 - Start level 1 (in case you want to find level 1 music)
3 - Stand still in a spot where nothing happens and you can listen to the music. Now Open the Code/Data Logger, hit "Reset Log" and then hit "Start". Then you click "save stripped data" and save it to a file. Name it "file 1.nes" or something.
4 - Now let the music play for a couple of seconds and click "save stripped data" again. Save the file to "file 2.nes".
5 - Now get your favorite hex editting program that can compare files. I use Hex workshop. In it, you can open two files to compare them. You will choose file 1.nes and file 2.nes and it will tell you the difference between them. You skip to the next difference until you find a relatively very different spot.
6 - Now go to fceux, open the debug - hex editor, select "view" - "rom file" and scroll to the same address where hex workshop indicated a difference. If it is lit as blue, this must be the song. Change it to all FF and reset the game and see if the music is now silent or has a silent channel.
7 - If it has, then you can go to stage 1, stand still on a spot, reset the code data logger and start it. Let the game play the song for a while to make sure it has read all the notes in the song (it reads each one in real time). Then pause the emulator and go back to the hex editor and you will see exactly the whole song lit as blue (data). No need to guess where it is by ramdomly corrupting areas...

Of course, depending on the ROM size (big ROMS are more boring to scroll) you can skip the hex workshop and simply skip to step 7, pause the emulator and then scroll the hex editor until you find an area with a big chunk of blue bytes. Big chances are this is the music.

I feel like directly editing the .nsf file would be much easier (assuming an nsf of the rom exists). Using erosion I just corrupt from say 1000-2000 and rinse and repeat until the specific bytes are found that control each instrument. In GNSF you can also quickly scroll through all of the songs in the game, and assuming you corrupted enough data finding the songs that were affected is usually immediately obvious. Mega Man 2 has 24 songs and once I got this system down it took me about 10 minutes to find the song I was looking for. Your process sounds like it could work in just finding the song but the instruments would still have to be found through random changing.

Also to the deadpool hacking team: This project looks really cool and if you guys need a music composer then I would be willing to help you out. At this point I'm starting to learn more and more about how music is written in the NES and if you're ok with it being a slow process as I figure out how the music in ninja gaiden is formatted, then I think it could work out
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 06:58:00 pm by Woodman »

nesrocks

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2017, 07:45:57 pm »
The problem with editting the nsf file is that it is just that. The nsf file. You still need to move the music to the game and if that guide described correctly, it isn't just a "copy the entire song" and paste it process (also, you still need to find where in the ROM the music is, because you probably want to overwrite it). I will look into your method though and see how it is. I've never used GNSF.

Question: do you edit the nsf by hex editting the bytes to create new songs?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 07:52:53 pm by nesrocks »

Woodman

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2017, 10:51:43 pm »
You make a good point, by making the writing itself more convenient I could just be screwing myself down the line... Other than that though I'm not aware of any potential "roadblocks" with this process that could come up. To find the music all I have to do is search up a decently sized string of the original file where I want to start replacing. And yes, I am using a hex editor to write the music, but for actually composing the music I'm going to use famitracker. There's no way I'm gonna try to compose a song in a format that unoptimized and tedious lol

SpiderDave

• View Profile
    • spiderdave.com
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2017, 01:03:58 am »
Hi, I decided to mess around with this, I made a few tweaks to the small throwing stars.  I adjusted the bullet graphics so it isn't split on two tiles anymore, fixed the y offset when you shoot it (So it's actually a bit higher up as shown).  I also made small stars free (until a better ammo system is done, you should be able to spam bullets, you're Deadpool!).  The sound effect is changed to be more like a gun, and a minor tweak to the speed of the projectile.

Below is my data in my own patcher format (easy enough to figure out)

# patch for "Ninja Gaiden (USA).nes"
# additions to Deadpool patch
#
# by SpiderDave 2017.3.4

offset 0
ips ips/Deadpool-Demo-Version-10.4.ips

offset 10

start tilemap spweapons
address = 20740
// small star
0 0 0
1 1 0
end

// small throwing star graphics (change to a bullet)
palette 00162630
import map spweapons ng_deadpool_bullet.png

// This is the data without using the .png:
//put 20740 00000000000000000000000000000000
//put 20750 303f7eeefc1c0c0020302e44e8180800

// small stars are free
put 1ef67 00

//small stars sound effect
put 1EF9F 21

// small stars y-offset
put 1Ef95 0e

Download .ips file

I think I'd like to change the weapon switcher so you use those automatically, in place of normal sword, and change them a bit to be more versatile.  With a bit of work this would let you do things like duck and shoot, or maybe a selection that gives you a different jump or dash, etc.
My NES Tool: Davepatcher My SMB2 Hack WIP: Join Lamross in Hell

DANGER X

• Nes hacker & player
    • View Profile
    • Deadpool Nes
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2017, 07:25:34 am »
First of all I want to thank all of you 3 guys for your help.

nesrocks I understand what you are saying but the thing is I don't know any deadpool nsf this means I gotta create it from scratch, I'm not the type of music creator, and I realize that I will need to: create the notes for every music, deal with the pointers at every step, and make them sound like deadpool, I really do appreciate your help and I will use the information you gave me and I will hope for the best...

Woodman your idea sound good too, and yes we would like you as our music hacker, the room will be ready in 1 or 2 months so it's no rush, when you decide you wanna help, write to me I will pm you the latest room and we will see what we can do.

SpiderDave, that is cool stuff dude, unfortunately that is an old version we did a lot of edits from that time until now, I like what you did, but I won't copy all to our hack, here is the thing I will keep the sound effect (didn't though of this) and I will make the bullet faster (good idea) about the graphics, we fixed that in a new update and make it how we wanted, and the limited weapon is a part of the game, you will find a lot of ammo around the way but we don't wanna make the player use only special weapons, we want to make him use his sword as well,I can pm you the latest version and maybe you can help more in the future if you want (you are already on the credits list).

Alright now about the latest version, we finally added the big sword, and changed all the enemies graphics, added new title screen and more crazy stuff.

things left to do:

-big star item and weapon graphics
-deadpool costumes to draw
-redraw some enemies and bosses
-modify stage 4,5 and 6
-stages graphics and colors
-new story + scenes graphics (the cutscenes text will be based on deadpool stuff)
-new music
-Deathstroke final boss (exactly like in this hack http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1269/ )

We work in a facebook group, who wanna join the project leave us your facebook profile (pm it if is personal)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 09:10:53 am by DANGER X »

SpiderDave

• View Profile
    • spiderdave.com
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2017, 08:48:31 am »
Yeah, send me the newest version, I might poke around with it some more.
My NES Tool: Davepatcher My SMB2 Hack WIP: Join Lamross in Hell

Woodman

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2017, 04:47:37 pm »
Woodman your idea sound good too, and yes we would like you as our music hacker

Cool! I think it'll be fun but if anyone else wants to help with the music, don't feel discouraged just because "theres already someone else doing it". We are gonna need all the help we can get in this regard due to the sheer amount of music in this game.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 10:26:06 pm by Woodman »

DANGER X

• Nes hacker & player
    • View Profile
    • Deadpool Nes
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2017, 04:54:54 pm »
Of course, and I understand this music part is really hard, one thing is to hack it and another is to compose deadpool like music....we will need all the help we can get.

NiO

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2017, 05:39:33 am »
A new lifebar menu is being done, stage names will be displayed, also enemies will not respawn anymore, instead of that, you will kill them and they will be gone forever, so you can actually have a kill counter.
Added the Ninja Gaiden 3 Slash attack and new members are helping with the music  :D

darkmoon2321

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2017, 11:45:04 am »
We just brought a few new enemies over from Ninja Gaiden 2:

Also, Deathstroke makes his first appearance:

Currently we are planning on adding an all new Act 7 with two new stages that will feature these enemies.