News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: TransCorp versus Heracles Results in Glorious English Translation!  (Read 16836 times)

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
Congratulations on finishing this translation Nightcrawler. I've been following the scene since 1999 and I know this has been a long time in the making.

I know this might be a silly question, but I was wondering why the titlescreen hack didn't read as "The Glory of Heracles" in the title like all other translations for the other games in the series. Was it perhaps an artistic choice?

I don't remember exactly now. That was done a few years ago. I think it was because it's not in the literal title, it matches all of the existing references to it on wikipedia and similar sites, and most importantly the official localization of the NDS game also choose to translate it as such.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

DrDimension

• View Profile
Hi Nightcrawler! Thank you deeply for your great work! Just one quick question -

Is there yet a time-frame for a bug fix patch that addresses the weather bug reported in this thread?

Thanks!

Cahos Rahne Veloza

• View Profile
I'm such a glutton when it comes to new and/or peculiar skill/ability systems in games I tried the protagonist's Sword Arts ability the first chance I had, which was during the first random encounter the game threw at me. And doing so I noticed a brief glitching out of graphics in the combat HUD which immediately fixed itself up. Was that normal?

« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 05:08:28 am by Cahos Rahne Veloza »

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
Is there yet a time-frame for a bug fix patch that addresses the weather bug reported in this thread?

No time frame. It would probably be a couple of weeks before any followup would be issued compiling reported issues. There is a process to these things and multiple individuals involved. We are also working on some other things at the moment and won't be able to return to Heracles for a bit yet. There's nothing critical.

I'm such a glutton when it comes to new and/or peculiar skill/ability systems in games I tried the protagonist's Sword Arts ability the first chance I had, which was during the first random encounter the game threw at me. And doing so I noticed a brief glitching out of graphics in the combat HUD which immediately fixed itself up. Was that normal?

I don't see that issue with SNES9x 1.54.1 nor on real hardware on my end. I just ran 20 battles or so in that portion of the game, and even used your character name. Perhaps some setting in SNES9x affects the timing causing a frame to overrun or something.

Can you try BSNES/higan?
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Cahos Rahne Veloza

• View Profile
@Nightcrawler: If I'd hazard a guess. Could it be the rendering filter at fault to that issue I've encountered?

I use hqx3 and I've read on some other emulators for other systems, that sometimes the rendering filter can cause issues like this on games.

Anyway, it is a minor issue as I've said and it fixes itself up if I cancel the selection by pressing B and having the menu "refresh" itself (by refresh I mean after pressing B and the game re-positions the selection to the attack option.

The way I trigger this glitch is by immediately moving the selected action from attack to sword arts as soon as possible on the very first battle after I go out of the wall and back onto the Atlantis island map.

And finding other factors to blame... could I have possibly triggered this glitchiness from the fact that I opted to "curse" (use foul language) on the segment where Plato asks you to pick out what to inscribe on the wall after the scenes with Epipha? Kinda like the game punishing me for inscribing the "F" word on the wall? LOL

Also regarding trying the game out on another emulator. I'm not really into having multiple emulators for playing games for a specific system and my personal choice for an SNES emulator has always been Snes9x. Anyway, you've tested for yourself that issue isn't occurring at your end so it's safe to say that this isn't entirely a game breaking thing that needs attending to. As I've also said, maybe the game just didn't like my use of foul language ROFL! ;D
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 02:13:38 am by Cahos Rahne Veloza »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
And finding other factors to blame... could I have possibly triggered this glitchiness from the fact that I opted to "curse" (use foul language) on the segment where Plato asks you to pick out what to inscribe on the wall after the scenes with Epipha? Kinda like the game punishing me for inscribing the "F" word on the wall? LOL
From what I understand, Japanese doesn't really have the concept of "swearing".
You can be rude by using words of inappropriate politeness.

(although I know there are games with language filters, including at least the later-gen Pokemon games)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

MatatabiMitsu

• View Profile
From what I understand, Japanese doesn't really have the concept of "swearing".
You can be rude by using words of inappropriate politeness.

(although I know there are games with language filters, including at least the later-gen Pokemon games)

There are absolutely censored words in Japanese. They're just not the kind we would consider 'swear' words.

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
Where the hell did that "Japanese people don't swear" meme even come from, anyway?

It seems to me that some Japanese student saw that there wasn't a 1:1 equivalent to the word fuck and thought that Japanese people never get angry or something... Or maybe they've only consumed video games which were aimed at kids or teenagers...

In any case, this topic has come up a million times already... Until someone or other ends up posting a list of offensive words, censored words on TV, etc. and the topic dies for a while until it gets revived again and again.

In any case, I'll just leave the first list I found so we can move on for now: http://www.youswear.com/index.asp?language=Japanese
There has to be a better life.

travel27

• View Profile
Cool!

Hey guys, I am around Persian Villa.  Any advice on easy money? THANKS.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Maybe because I did quite a bit of farming FP or whatever it was, money was about the least problem during my playthrough.
Money always seemed to be decently plentiful from enemies.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

travel27

• View Profile
Ya, up until that point I had no issue with money and soon after that, it was never really a big issue again.

I beat the game last night.  It is a good game but for some reason I enjoyed 3 more.

Just the same, it is nice to see an snes game translated for 2016, a nice little xmas gift!

Fredde

• View Profile
So I've finished the game, and I'm wondering something about the (spoilers!) "post-game content".

Spoiler:
I've started going through the "monster hideout" dungeon/dungeons (I assume they're randomly generated?), and beating the bosses at the end. There seems to be a whole lot of these bosses, but they also each seem to be unique in the fact that they each have an unique name and unique attack patterns. What I'm wondering is, how many of these bosses are there, and is there some sort of "reward" or extra game content if I beat all of them? Or does the dungeon just repeat itself endlessly?

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
So I've finished the game, and I'm wondering something about the (spoilers!) "post-game content".

Spoiler:
I've started going through the "monster hideout" dungeon/dungeons (I assume they're randomly generated?), and beating the bosses at the end. There seems to be a whole lot of these bosses, but they also each seem to be unique in the fact that they each have an unique name and unique attack patterns. What I'm wondering is, how many of these bosses are there, and is there some sort of "reward" or extra game content if I beat all of them? Or does the dungeon just repeat itself endlessly?

There are 40 of them IIRC - I did the whole dungeon a while back. They start repeating once you finish the final loop. I think the only "reward" is some of the best equipment later on. Other than that, it's just a challenge dungeon. However, the final boss is really difficult. You need the highest levels possible and a lot of luck to beat him.

Fredde

• View Profile
Dang, I was at least hoping for Heracles giving me a thumbs up or something. Guess I might do 'em all anyway.

Spinner 8

• Pink Pretty Princess
    • View Profile
Dang, I was at least hoping for Heracles giving me a thumbs up or something. Guess I might do 'em all anyway.

Hell yeah! Somebody post this to the "Hack Ideas" thread

Conhecedor

• View Profile
@Nightcrawler

Spoiler:
After the ending, the extras are just Lion, Lillian and the cave of their village?

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
As mentioned previously, that cave is a challenge of 40 dungeons for all 40 fiends that Heracles mentions after you beat the game. Defeating all 40 will allow you to face a superboss. The dungeon will regenerate and be different each time you enter it for 40 iterations!

There area  few other very minor things to see if you travel the world. Some dialog changes, you can visit your prior companions, things like that.

Fredde

• View Profile
I did eventually manage to beat the "superboss", but honestly it was mostly through luck:

Spoiler:
I used Lillian's "Sigh" command on it, tried to beef up my dudes as much as possible with HyDope and Spara, and hit it as hard as I could before it could restore health with Powtes, while praying that it wouldn't kill all my dudes with physical attacks first. As I said before, it was pretty disappointing that I didn't get any reward for beating it other than "now you get to do it all again!" Then again, I guess that's what the old lady told Heracles in the ending, that he'd spend his life in endless battles.

Does anyone know a reliable method to beat it without relying on luck? It seems that if it gets off two Megalos in one turn, you're pretty much done for, no matter the levels or equipment.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
To those who were inquiring about a patch update, the patch got a version 1.1 update now. This version fixes the garbage tiles that may appear with weather/space changing commands. It also addressed the few reported grammar and consistency issues. Not worth making any new news or anything.

Kallisto

• View Profile
I got to be straight up honest about that bonus dungeon, it just isn't fun with the repetitive cycle of encounters, and long drawn out mazes.

Is there a way to patch it where the dungeon is just one floor each time or make Relaxion permanently keep monsters away? That would ease the pain a bit.