News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: TransCorp versus Heracles Results in Glorious English Translation!  (Read 16843 times)

Maeson

• View Profile
Congratulations on the release! That title screen looks really nice.

I need to take a look into this series, as it is one I left forgotten for the most part.
I'm off for some time. If for some weird, strange, and important reason, you need to talk to me, just send me a PM and probably I'll read it whenever I come back.

C_CliFF

• View Profile
    • General CoolNES Translations
Congratulations! Look forward to play this.  :beer:

modulok

• View Profile
The font in this translation looks pretty incredible. Definitely some pride based around this work.

Props.

selius

• View Profile
can anything be done about the encounter rate? it's totally kiling my desire to play this

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
Very nice usage of an 8x8 proportional font. Was any of this achieved by prerendering some strings like byuu suggested years ago or with the other trick of preshifting tiles so that you only need to OR the outcome together?
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

Recca

• Indignation!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
I only got one question for Nightcrawler :).

Will we see Dual Orb finally translated to complete the Dual Orb Series?

Also congrats on finishing the Heracles series.
I too would like to see Dual Orb translated one day as well. After having played Dual Orb 2, I wanted to see want the story line was like in the first one as well. Hopefully, a little more cheerful, I should hope. I don't know why so many people seem to dislike the first game so much. Maybe it's not quite as good as the second game, but I still think it looks interesting.
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

aqualung

• View Profile
can anything be done about the encounter rate? it's totally kiling my desire to play this

I've found this Japanese website which presumably has some PAR codes (I think they're PAR, but I'm not quite sure) for fiddling with the character's exp, level, status, etc

http://www.geocities.co.jp/Playtown-Toys/6319/Code/Erakres.html

There may be some code in there that decreases/disables the enemy encounter rate or something similar Perhaps someone with a fluent level in Japanese might throw some light (how would you say "enemy" in Japanese? "Teki"?).
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 07:00:26 pm by aqualung »

DaMarsMan

• Bring DQV
    • View Profile
    • DQ Translations!
Wohhhhh!!! Congrats! Sorry I wasn't much help!  :beer: :beer:

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
Thanks to all for the kind words. They are appreciated. :)

Will we see Dual Orb finally translated to complete the Dual Orb Series?
It's possible. I have some work in the tank for it, but I can't make any promises.

Very nice usage of an 8x8 proportional font. Was any of this achieved by prerendering some strings like byuu suggested years ago or with the other trick of preshifting tiles so that you only need to OR the outcome together?
Some key things were pre-rendered where appropriate and more feasible with vblank time to take advantage of it (transfer time rather than rendering time was the bottleneck in many cases). Speaking of which, you know no public utility presently exists to do all of this mass pre-rendering or preshifting (*hint* *hint*). It's a chore to prepare such data for hundreds of cases of preshifted letters, items, etc. There were enough other required utilities to work on that I was not interested in such endeavors. I was far more interested in developing a universal VWF modular system with it to work with all games. I believe I succeeded on that front and I shall never need to code another one again. :)
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

aishsha

• View Profile
    • Blog
Finally :) Gratz on that to NC and the whole team :)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: Dual Orb 1

Many years ago I offered to help Nightcrawler, then I actually played and lost interest after maybe 60% or something into a playthrough, and then it fell apart from there.
... and I happily played Secret of the Stars like 80% through several times as a kid (about as far as I was able to get on rentals).
Although I recall DO1 had some decent music, its gameplay felt very standard.

I recall NC probably didn't like the idea of dumping like a billion text files but maybe in 15 years ago or he's developed some tricks. :D
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
It's a chore to prepare such data for hundreds of cases of preshifted letters, items, etc. There were enough other required utilities to work on that I was not interested in such endeavors.
Prerendered strings for lists is actually a pretty good alternative to having expansion of strings with games using fixed-length, since you don't even need to expand anything, besides building those strings as graphics. As for preshifting, you don't need to create all cases of character combinations, you only preshift a font so that you can render 8x8 by reading and ORing the data. As you said above, the bottleneck should be DMA transfer rather than shifting in some cases, but you can never know with screens using walls of text.

I was far more interested in developing a universal VWF modular system with it to work with all games. I believe I succeeded on that front and I shall never need to code another one again. :)
Basically what Kingcom and I use for hacking with C/++ injection. :P

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
...besides building those strings as graphics.

Right, if you want to build a 256 item list as graphics, you'd want an external utility to render them all. Any other manual piecemeal approach using in-game rendering/capturing with the SNES is not desirable to say the least. You can't even do font pre-shifting easily can you? No tile editors seem to do this the way you'd need. You can shift a font left/right, but it screws up the adjacent tiles when it runs over. There are no public utilities available to do these things that I'm aware of. It may encourage more people to do these types of things if someone made one.

Basically what Kingcom and I use for hacking with C/++ injection. :P

Great. Now go port that over to the SNES and then we can compare. :P
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

trondotexe

• View Profile
 :woot!:

Thanks x 1000
For this one!!
You rock!!!

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
Right, if you want to build a 256 item list as graphics, you'd want an external utility to render them all. Any other manual piecemeal approach using in-game rendering/capturing with the SNES is not desirable to say the least. You can't even do font pre-shifting easily can you? No tile editors seem to do this the way you'd need. You can shift a font left/right, but it screws up the adjacent tiles when it runs over. There are no public utilities available to do these things that I'm aware of. It may encourage more people to do these types of things if someone made one.
You kinda game me an idea on how to achieve something like that, with GUI and shizzles. Shouldn't be too hard to create with a canvas library.

Great. Now go port that over to the SNES and then we can compare. :P
I can only imagine the nightmare behind that or even to get a C compiler to work on the snes cpu. :o

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
Congrats on the release, NC! :beer: It's always a treat to see one of your projects come together! Really looking forward to Tenshi no Uta, whenever it comes.

Alcahest

• Demon of Elru
    • View Profile
Awesome presentation and translation, thank you!

etking

• View Profile
Good game and nice work! There seems to be some bug with the weather change during battle, since after performing it, there is some garbage text shown on top of the screen.

The amount of garbage seems to depend on who and which spell / action is used to change the weather (for example by using the Forecast command). Sometimes half of the screen gets full of garbage (with the weather change command of the fourth character that joins the party before arriving in Torantia Kingdom).

Shiryu

• No Surrender, No Retreat.
    • View Profile
    • Shiryu Music
Happy New Year everyone!

Fantastic work, just wanted to drop Nightcrawler a big shout out for completing this. I don't know why the article I sent Nintendo Life remains unpublished, I will ask the editor why it wasn't published, this certainly is more than deserving of attention.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
Congrats on the release, NC! :beer: It's always a treat to see one of your projects come together! Really looking forward to Tenshi no Uta, whenever it comes.

Thanks. With some life luck, hopefully Tenshi will be ready for testing in a few months. The main hacking work is done. However, the translation work is getting a second pass. There were some significant things missing in the original dump, and the existing script work was done without the knowledge of those pieces several years back. So, it all needs a touch up from the translator. After that, I will need to do a hacking finalization pass with everything fully in place. As it stands, it's just 'mostly' playable with some very annoying missing/broken things. ;D

Good game and nice work! There seems to be some bug with the weather change during battle, since after performing it, there is some garbage text shown on top of the screen.

The amount of garbage seems to depend on who and which spell / action is used to change the weather (for example by using the Forecast command). Sometimes half of the screen gets full of garbage (with the weather change command of the fourth character that joins the party before arriving in Torantia Kingdom).

Can you give me more to go on? I'm not sure what character you're referring to.  I'm going to guess Cairo the merchant perhaps at that point? The weather can be changed by monsters, regular characters, and several inhabitable bodies. I don't know who specifically matches up with the 'Forecast' command that you saw.

Do you happen to have an image showing this character or savegame where this bug can be found?