News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: My Zelda 2 Editors - Released  (Read 7698 times)

EnchantressOfNumbers

• View Profile
Re: My Zelda 2 Editors - Released!
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2017, 11:12:58 am »
These look pretty rad.  I've been working on what I hope will be an awesome Zelda 2 hack and I'm looking forward to using these editors to help.  I'm still really early in the process of making my hack, but I think I've got some new ideas for a Z2 hack that I'm excited to show off.

Also, just a side note, these editors appear to play nicely running on Linux under WINE.

hollowshadow

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2017, 10:31:25 pm »
Thanks for the tools njosro! :thumbsup: I've been following your Zelda II releases since the overworld editor a few months ago & I made my new overworld back then. I waited until you released the sideview editor & spent over a month finishing my Zelda II romhack & it was a lot of work to complete.  I submitted it to the site tonight. It should be a lot of fun.

njosro

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2017, 10:22:44 am »
Hey hollowshadow, that's awesome! I'll download your hack and try it out :)

Quick update:
The dialog editor is in the process of getting accent support. The game is actually coded to support a dot character [tile $32] above any character whose tile code has a certain combo of bit 6 and 7 on/off (don't remember it right now). My guess is that it's a leftover from the Japanese version. So I made the editor have a patch option that lets you place the dot character (which you could manually change to an accute, grave, circumflex, or whatever accent) over any letter. You just hold Shift while typing the letter to indicate that it should be accented. The only drawback of course is that the game only supports one accent, but still it's something! I'll release it sometime soon.

ultimaweapon

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2017, 11:43:10 pm »
NJOSRO - I've been using your tools along with Trax to create my hack, and I must say your tools are awesome. They have allowed me to make progress quicker than I though would be possible.

I'm done with everything except The Great Palace. The enemies in the Great Palace appear as shadows, and the only way to beat them is with multiple uses of the Thunder spell. The Thunderbird can't be beat unless you use infinite magic code, cause it's takes 40+ times with the Thunder spell to beat the Thunderbird, and once he is defeated, it doesn't advance to Dark Link. I can surely use some advice on how to fix this.
Trust in the Heart of the Cards

njosro

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2017, 11:45:01 am »
Thank you so much! It's great to see they worked so well for you.

I've replied to your question in the new thread you created. Let's hope it's a simple fix.

ultimaweapon

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2017, 03:34:36 am »
NJOSRO - No problem. Your tools are pretty easy to use, and it made my progress go a lot faster. I do have some recommendations if you ever look to upgrade them.

Sideview editor - Adding a Delete All terrain, add enemy, delete enemy would be awesome. Being able to add or remove enemies and also being able to delete all terrain at once and start from scratch would make it easier for people to be more creative.
Also, adding the 3 basic pallet color changes(orange, red, blue) for enemies would be good too

Level Up editor - Adding on the ability to modify attack power w/ each level, magic cost for each spell, and including an option to select what items, spells, and skills you start off with would also be great.

Overworld editor - My only suggestion for here is a way to include pallet changes such as white mountains, or tan swamp area to make it resemble quicksand, black forest, etc.

Dialog editor - A way to truly add more messages beyond the starting 97. Being able to add 10-15 original messages w/o restrictions would be awesome.

Ice Penguin - I responded back to your message. I appreciate any help you can give me.
Trust in the Heart of the Cards

njosro

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2017, 08:05:16 pm »
Those are some good suggestions. I don't think I'll be doing anything about palettes, but otherwise I'd like to add everything you've suggested... eventually. :P

The only thing about adding and removing enemies is that I tried to implement it a few different ways and it failed every time. I might get it to work one day!

Morinis

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2017, 11:41:09 am »
Stuff I will definitely use someday :)

Any chance to add animated, custom tiles to this like how that Editroid has that specific feature in the future to the programs?