News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: First translation project. 3x3 Eyes: Juuma Houkan  (Read 5537 times)

Atomizer_Zero

• View Profile
First translation project. 3x3 Eyes: Juuma Houkan
« on: December 16, 2016, 06:54:21 am »
So, this is my first attempt at translating a rom (snes in this case). I've managed to build the hiragana, katakana, A-z,  a-z, numbers and symbols table. I believe the kanji table will be 2 hexs per character  (FFFF).  So, I have a question. Text pointers, how do I find them? On the option menu, sound is 4 characters wide in Japanese,  and I need it to take 5 characters in English. My first attempt caused the menu to glitch out. Any help here would be great, thanks :)

Zeikar

• View Profile
Re: First translation project. 3x3 Eyes: Juuma Houkan
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 07:00:13 am »
I'm not sure, but I think my question is similar to yours, however I'm not doing my own project, it's only for personal use

USC

• Submission Reviewer
  • Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 09:17:39 am »
This article on Data Crystal might be helpful.
Get the address at the start of a line of dialogue, convert it to the formats mentioned there, then see if you can find it in the ROM itself.

Atomizer_Zero

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 10:05:50 am »
Thanks. Looks like what I need.

I'll have to have a look when I get home from work.

I have a question though. On the game, the option screen has 3 options. In the hex data, each set of characters are separated by "F1 00" (iirc... Will check later). Do I check from the first character of the first option? (for example, the SA in SA U N DO(Sound in Japanese)) Do I check from the F1? Thanks

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 10:32:34 am »
Thanks. Looks like what I need.

I'll have to have a look when I get home from work.

I have a question though. On the game, the option screen has 3 options. In the hex data, each set of characters are separated by "F1 00" (iirc... Will check later). Do I check from the first character of the first option? (for example, the SA in SA U N DO(Sound in Japanese)) Do I check from the F1? Thanks

You may also want to ask Gideon Zhi about it, since it was one of his projects I believe (dunno how far he got though). Maybe he can prod you in the right direction.

USC

• Submission Reviewer
  • Obviously Outdated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 10:45:32 am »

The first option in the list, does it start with 'F1 00' as well, or just '00'?
You'll have to play around with it, trying different starting points until you find the pointer table. 'F1' and '00' might be a terminating byte, a starting point, or something else entirely.

Atomizer_Zero

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 02:28:58 pm »
You may also want to ask Gideon Zhi about it, since it was one of his projects I believe (dunno how far he got though). Maybe he can prod you in the right direction.

Thanks, I've messaged him on twitter (I hope he doesnt mind.. )

The first option in the list, does it start with 'F1 00' as well, or just '00'?
You'll have to play around with it, trying different starting points until you find the pointer table. 'F1' and '00' might be a terminating byte, a starting point, or something else entirely.

I was remembering it wrong, sorry. It's actually like this:

0040 40F5 FF00 (I dont know if the 0040 40F5 is actually anything important, but it seems to appear a lot) Then the word, which is 0063 (SAサ) 005B (Uウ) 0088 (Nン) 00A1(DOド) Then it ends with 00F1 FF00 , then the next word starts.

EDIT: So, made some progress!

December 17, 2016, 10:31:40 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I've tried to find the pointers but I'm having no luck at all. I had to give the sound option more space for the word stereo so I moved the next set of hex data over, losing some character space in the backup dialogue box. But it of course means the backup option no longer works.

The other option is editing the character tiles and using #### hexs for characters, basically doubling the character space available, kinda.

December 17, 2016, 08:27:47 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
So I learned something new about how it works with text. If the hex is 00 6C 00 5B 00 88 00 A1 for example, and that spells SAUND(Japanese romaji) ,  typing it like this 6C 00 5B 00 etc., basically swapping their positions, it still comes out exactly the same. If I typed it as 00 6C 5B 00, then it would come out as a different character entirely. Typing this 6C 00 00 5B would put a space between SA and U.

This brings me to another question. Is it possible to make it ignore the double hex characters (as shown above) entirely so that I get double the amount of space for text per double hex?

December 18, 2016, 05:10:39 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I just found the pointer table! yay! So, i can now give me more room and adjust the pointers to fit. This is great.

December 20, 2016, 04:03:28 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
This is my current font style im going with. This is using a similar setup to final fantasy 1 where the text is like, "th" " e" "en" "d "

What do you think?

« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 04:03:28 pm by Atomizer_Zero »

kepeb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2016, 02:38:18 pm »
Looking good, like the progress updates.
best of luck mate! :)

Atomizer_Zero

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2016, 07:03:15 pm »
Looking good, like the progress updates.
best of luck mate! :)

Thanks for the kind words :)

So, I thought it was time for a progress update.

The battle system in this game is a little confusing and a bit... over convoluted... I think they just used "flavour text" instead of functional wording to explain what the attacks mean.

It's been awkward getting it all to fit properly, so a couple of somewhat annoying decisions had to be made, such as the attack names being squashed into tiny ~3x5 - 5x5 fonts. It's a little annoying, but does the job well enough.

Atomizer_Zero

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 04:01:32 pm »
So, just to let people know, version 0.1 is out. It's in the translation database. Only chapter 1 is done, and there are a couple spelling mistakes lol. They'll be fixed for the next release.

Something that I've been struggling with though, is decompressing the titlescreen. I would love to get some help on that,  as ive never done it before and all the efforts I tried using various programs yielded nothing. Thanks

sdcSpade

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2017, 02:13:34 am »
I was about to pull up a game's script to play this game in a way I can understand when I found this. I just had to come here and pour out a bucket of encouragement, it's looking good so far. Are you translating the game from scratch or are you using one of the scripts that float around the internet?

Atomizer_Zero

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2017, 02:44:51 pm »
I'm mainly using the one that posted on GameFAQs (with permission, of course). But it's not verbatim, for a few reasons. One, the script was pretty broken English in various places. 2. Some of the names were wrong. 3. Due to character space limitations per message box, I ended up having to re-word probably more than 75% of it.

I also got permission to use the incomplete guide on 3x3eyes.com, which is a higher quality translation, but misses a lot of the in game script.

So, the final translation is a mix of those 2 guides/scripts, plus my own translating, and some help with some weird quirks in the language with a Japanese friend of mine.

I will say though, i suggest you wait to play. Only chapter 1 is fully playable, but it seriously wont be long (hopefully by Thursday next week!) i'll have the rest of the game readable in English. Any releases after that will be bug fixes and minor edits.

Thanks for your interest and encouragement! :D

January 10, 2017, 07:15:23 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Version 0.2 released. Check the translation page for the changelog.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 07:15:23 am by Atomizer_Zero »

Atomizer_Zero

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2017, 02:50:33 pm »
Just thought I would mention that hopefully within the next 6 hours, I'll be uploading a new patch. Unfortunately I didn't get as much done as I wanted to this week but chapter 3 is almost finished. Mostly gotta test it a bit more then make the patch. Next week will be full release for sure.

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2017, 03:36:18 pm »
Hey! I happen to be working on the script for this right now. I was planning to get it back to Gideon.

The script from years ago had some awful issue with the table file or something that offset a bunch of the kanji. It's kind of a nightmare to work with. I'm basically watching YouTube videos and using that FAQ to piece together the proper script.

Do you have a good script dump? If you're willing to share I don't mind sharing the translation, if you don't mind me offering it to Gideon as well.

Atomizer_Zero

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2017, 04:50:28 pm »
To be honest, I used the one from gamefaqs mostly (with permission). My translation has been edited heavily and formatted in such a way that it's not really that useful without heavy editing. I think if your going to translate it again, you'd be better off getting someone else to dump it again, especially considering how I had to make some tough decisions with some sentences to get them to fit, which meant changing the order of some sentences while keeping the story in tact.

I have to ask though. Why? I'm very nearly finished and I doubt this needs another translation. It's not an overly popular game and my translation it's pretty accurate as best as I can get it.

filler

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2017, 07:40:36 pm »
Actually it was just coincidental timing.

I got a hold of Gideon during the summer about this old project we'd been working on. Once I saw the FAQ and the videos on YouTube I figured I could muddle through the script and get something usable together. I just happened to get around to finishing this up now and noticed your project.

I consider myself a man of my word so I intend to finish the script and get it back to Gideon assuming it doesn't drive me crazy in the process. Whether to proceed, or if it needs to be done twice can be considered at that time.

Atomizer_Zero

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2017, 04:04:57 am »
The videos on YouTube aren't sufficient enough because they only show one path. The game has 2 possible paths, each with different areas, characters and puzzles. A complete dump of the script is needed because even the gamefaqs guide is missing lines. Any lines I've found that are missing from the guide, I just translated there and then.

filler

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2017, 05:10:48 pm »
I have a complete dump. It's just that some of the kanji are completely wrong.

Atomizer_Zero

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2017, 06:50:16 am »
Patch version 1.0 is out. Complete english translation is finished. The game is now fully playable in english. Have fun!

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2017, 06:56:20 am »
Patch version 1.0 is out. Complete english translation is finished. The game is now fully playable in english. Have fun!

Congratulations!  :thumbsup: You may want to drop a quick announcement via the Submit News section, so that more people would notice. Just a piece of friendly advice there.  :angel: