News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Ace Combat 3 fan-translation released!  (Read 4860 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: Ace Combat 3 fan-translation released!
« on: December 14, 2016, 07:03:32 am »

Update By: DragonSpikeXIII

Team NEMO is proud to present its fan-translation for the original Japanese version of Ace Combat 3: Electrosphere, an arcade-style air combat game made by Namco in 1999 for the PlayStation.

Due to timing and budgetary reasons, Namco condensed and altered the original story and cut all characters out for NTSC-U and PAL regions. Now, 17 years after the game's release and 7 years since their fan-translation project began, all 52 missions (and more!) are finally in English!

Ace Combat 3 is notable for its branching story-line spread across two discs, 5 different endings, high-quality graphics, a futuristic soundtrack and, last but not least, anime cut-scenes by Production I.G (Patlabor 2, Ghost in the Shell). The first mission features localization work done by Guest Localizer Agness Kaku (Metal Gear Solid 2, D2).

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

PhyChris

• View Profile
Re: Translations: Ace Combat 3 fan-translation released!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 11:11:22 am »
I loved this game back in the day, can't wait to try this on my CFW PS3  :) 

pelham123

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 01:23:00 pm »
Congratulations guys, hell of a journey for ye, can't wait to play this  :thumbsup:

Delirious17

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 03:01:17 pm »
Awesome!

Am I missing anything without a translation yet of whatever might be on a disc 2?  Wasn't aware there was a second disc.

delta7890

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 04:07:25 pm »
Awesome!

Am I missing anything without a translation yet of whatever might be on a disc 2?  Wasn't aware there was a second disc.

As stated in the opening post, the US version and JP version of Ace Combat 3 are very very different.  In order to fit the game onto one disc for the US release, Namco removed all of the story content (cutscenes, character dialog, and any semblance of an overarching plot).  In addition, the US version removed all of the branching paths in the game and their associated missions.  The JP version has multiple branching paths leading to five unique endings, as well as a few secret missions if certain conditions are met for various stages.

TL;DR You're missing out on a LOT by not playing the Japanese version.  :D

ObiKKa

• Tome of retro gaming knowledge!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 02:44:52 pm »
I don't know if DragonSpikeXIII can see this but I just wanted to add my message of congratulations to him and his huge team on a great success for a worthy project that I myself and I'm sure along with many others weren't aware that the game itself had another world of storytelling that was contained behind 'closed doors' in Japan! I've read the blog by the project leader for several years and have acknowledged what a huge endeavour it was to get this mammoth task fully done! I've gone through a little bit of the first disc with an earlier patch last year so I can attest that it's a top-quality translation and hacking job as I'm sure this final patch is plus more!

treos

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 02:51:00 pm »
oh? looks like i'll have to give this game another go at some point.

i tried out the gutted US version a while back and honestly? the whole "super jet" aspect was neat and all but it wasn't to my liking that much but that may be due to the fact i was playing a trashy version of the game instead of the full version.

maybe my opinion of this game will improve when i get around to trying this patch. :)