News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Translations: Out Live your enemies...  (Read 2662 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: Out Live your enemies...
« on: December 06, 2016, 08:12:57 pm »

Update By: cccmar

... or at least try to in this first-person dungeon crawler by Sunsoft, released on TG16 in 1989. We had this project in mind a while ago, and we managed to follow through with it before the end of 2016. So, here's your Christmas gift (if you like dungeon crawlers starring giant robots, that is). ;)

Special thanks go to Gamerhenky for playtesting the game and helping us polish some stuff therein! So, without further ado, enjoy. :)

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Gamerhenky

• So Baaaaad! D:
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Translations: Out Live your enemies...
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 08:15:57 pm »
:woot!: Hoorah :woot!:
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 12:52:46 am by Gamerhenky »
Website | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube
(My RHDN Inbox almost full)

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 09:53:46 pm »
What do you mean by 'use the name of your mech when entering password'? The password is your mech, or is that supposed to indicate something else?

celcion

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 11:45:15 pm »
What do you mean by 'use the name of your mech when entering password'? The password is your mech, or is that supposed to indicate something else?

When you're starting the game, you need to enter your mech name. If you just press start, it would use default name (Braudis), but you could also enter what you would like to call it.
Password is dependant on this name. You need to enter it before password and it must be the same as it was.
You can think of this name as a part of this password.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 02:08:19 pm by celcion »

celcion

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 01:19:47 am »
As Gamerhenky brought that up, I'd like to update information about this game. It has a graphical bug on the last boss screen: when you're go to the status screen on that boss and then go back - the boss becomes black for unknown reason. I checked the original version and it looks like it has the same problem, so it's not the result of our work. I wasn't sure it's not an emulation problem so I didn't included information about it in the readme. This is not a gamebreaking bug though, so you can safely ignore it.

UPD: added this information to translation page notes.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 02:04:30 am by celcion »

Spinner 8

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Pink Pretty Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 12:25:24 pm »
I noticed that there's two patches in the zip file: one for the GoodPCE ROM, and one for the No-Intro ROM. I haven't confirmed (I do most of my posting from work :D ), but typically the only difference between these ROMs is that No-Intro ROMs don't include the 512-byte copier header that was included on every TG16 ROM back when they were first being dumped and released.

The patch for the No-Intro ROM is bigger than the ROM itself. :D So I'm assuming that it converts the headerless ROM to a translated ROM with a header, meaning that it takes almost every single byte of game data and shifts it by 512 places. This could create some legal issues, since you can seriously take a blank text file, patch it with this patch, and get a (probably) mostly fully playable ROM.

I'd recommend either doing away with the No-Intro patch entirely, or trimming the first 512 bytes of your translated ROM (it's almost entirely zeroes) and using that to make your No-Intro patch.

Anyways the game looks really fun. You guys are on a heck of a roll here. :)

celcion

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 12:29:13 pm »
The patch for the No-Intro ROM is bigger than the ROM itself. :D So I'm assuming that it converts the headerless ROM to a translated ROM with a header, meaning that it takes almost every single byte of game data and shifts it by 512 places. This could create some legal issues, since you can seriously take a blank text file, patch it with this patch, and get a (probably) mostly fully playable ROM.
I'd recommend either doing away with the No-Intro patch entirely, or trimming the first 512 bytes of your translated ROM (it's almost entirely zeroes) and using that to make your No-Intro patch.

Thanks, I just tried to avoid some patching problems there. But you're right. I'll fix it.

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 12:42:02 pm »
Err - that's too bad, 'cause the NoIntro patch is the one that worked for me...
Thanks for the fun!

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 12:49:41 pm »
When you're starting the game, you need to enter your mech name. If you just press start, it would use default name (Braudis), but you could also enter what you would like to call it.
Password is dependant on this name. You need to enter it before password and it must be the same as it was.
You can think of this name as a part of this password.

That feels counter intuitive - is there a way to make a note of this on screen or something? Or basically use the 'mech name' string and subtract it from the beginning of the password?

Gamerhenky

• So Baaaaad! D:
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 12:51:09 pm »
Err - that's too bad, 'cause the NoIntro patch is the one that worked for me...
Thanks for the fun!

Same

celcion

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 02:15:02 pm »
That feels counter intuitive - is there a way to make a note of this on screen or something? Or basically use the 'mech name' string and subtract it from the beginning of the password?

If you don't want to use any custom name - you can just press start at the name input on the game start and before entering the password. You would go with default name.
But if you want to use the name you want - you need to write this name along with password.
I know it's strange, but it was done like this by SunSoft themselves, it wasn't me who wanted to make this already creepy password system to even more pain than it already was.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2016, 09:06:10 pm »
Is this a mistake? When you are buying weapons, if you try to buy the same weapon again, the guy says: "I have enough of those, don't you have anything else?"
Which is weird because that's what he should say if you try to sell him the same stuff twice.

December 07, 2016, 11:19:10 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Found a spelling mistake

I think there should be quotes there in Stone Phantoms.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 11:19:39 pm by reyvgm »

Gamerhenky

• So Baaaaad! D:
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2016, 08:59:27 am »
Found a spelling mistake

I think there should be quotes there in Stone Phantoms.

Oh damn, I found these spelling mistake first during in beta but I forgot to give a feedback like this.

celcion

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2016, 06:28:33 am »
Version 1.1 is up, hopefully fixing all reported problems.

travel27

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2017, 09:20:41 pm »
I've been reading up on this game.  I love some "dungeon" crawler type games SOMETIMES, but this one does not have any in game maps.  Is there some maps somewhere on the net I can use if I decide to play this.  A quick google search does not seem to lead to any maps.

cccmar

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2017, 03:09:49 am »
I've been reading up on this game.  I love some "dungeon" crawler type games SOMETIMES, but this one does not have any in game maps.  Is there some maps somewhere on the net I can use if I decide to play this.  A quick google search does not seem to lead to any maps.

The only thing that could help you is probably the walkthrough on nicovideo, but that one is in Japanese (still, it's quite easy to follow). Other than that, I doubt it, it's one of the most obscure Sunsoft games probably. The PSX remake has in-game maps to my knowledge, but it's by all accounts a very different game anyway.