News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: My game of the year for 2016  (Read 2417 times)

realworksuks

• https://www.youtube.com/user/realworksuks
    • View Profile
My game of the year for 2016
« on: November 17, 2016, 06:08:09 pm »
Is no other than Hexen.

I discovered this game early on in the year and have played through it completely 2 times and partially another 3.  It has replay value due to the various characters you can choose from along with difficulty levels.  The music is also great and I love the gameplay.  Who has played Hexen and has liked it or otherwise?  Discuss...
Check out my gaming Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/realworksuks

thr

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
Re: My game of the year for 2016
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 08:38:57 pm »
yea, Hexen rocked back in the ninetees, can't see why it wouldn't rock now. great level design and various playstyles to explore. still, I think I liked the original Heretic better for the overall 'feel' and level design. yes, the first one. it was kinda like rpg-lite Doom back then. but Hexen was cool as well, gotta replay sometime.
if you're looking for something similiar, but not necesarrily an FPP, then Enclave is a pretty good game in a similiar 'mood', pretty old but quite interesting as well.

Idkbutlike2

• Beer Chozo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 09:41:26 pm »
I think Heretic is way better. Sure, it's more of a blatant Doom clone, but I'll take that over the tedious switch mazes that Hexen put you in at times. I can appreciate moving away from the linear map-to-map progression of Doom and Heretic, but it wasn't always done in the most elegant fashion.

CrocMagnum

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 08:25:25 am »
(Sorry I didn't notice your post earlier)

A fan of Hexen, hey? If you like Hexen maybe you should try this fanmade wad: Serpent Resurrection

Summary: A Hexen adventure like no other. The FPS side of the game brings the classic high-speed monster mashing that the Doom engine has always given us and combines it with Hexen's puzzles plus some more tactical encounters in the style of newer games. The RPG side of the game means that the classes are a lot more different compared to each other than just a new set of weapons...their basic abilities, health, armour and item usage all differ, leading to vastly different playstyles and strategies for each class. The world is designed with realism and cohesion in mind, if somewhere looks a bit barren that's because it's meant to look like that since those sort of places do in real life!

Even though the beginning of the game drags on you can clearly feel that the modder, The Ultimate DooMer, put a lot of soul into his wad. New Story, three additionnal classes, RGP Elements (like experience points), shops, new weapons, items, scrolls, monsters, custom music...

Review: Serpent: Resurrection - Review

Official thread: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=23024

Pity the world if you fail Spirit Monk, for you are the last. (Jade Empire)

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2016, 04:32:11 pm »
I love me some Hexen.  :)

I don't know if it ever made it past the Beta phase or not, but if you like the Brutal Doom mod there was a Brutal Hexen in the works.

(Sorry I didn't notice your post earlier)

A fan of Hexen, hey? If you like Hexen maybe you should try this fanmade wad: Serpent Resurrection

Even though the beginning of the game drags on you can clearly feel that the modder, The Ultimate DooMer, put a lot of soul into his wad. New Story, three additionnal classes, RGP Elements (like experience points), shops, new weapons, items, scrolls, monsters, custom music...

Review: Serpent: Resurrection - Review

Official thread: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=23024

...I had no idea this existed. Thanks for sharing! I'll be tearing through this over the weekend when I have more time and am in the right mindset for some gaming.  :D
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

CrocMagnum

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 08:17:17 am »
Thanks, Bahamut ZERO! The Ultimate DooMer, Stephen Clark in real, was a well-known modder in the Doom community. He made a lot of wads for Doom/Heretic/Hexen. When Serpent Ressurection was released he said that it was his last project for the community.

Also so since we’re talking about some fanmade goodness why not add some more?  :)  Here's the good stuff I remember for Hexen:

- Caldera: (6 Levels) link

- CHUXEN: 6 Levels also. Just beware of the traps in that one! ; ) link

- Ressurection of Chaos: A sequel to Hordes of Chaos. Somewhat a crossover between Heretic and Hexen. link

Note about Hordes of Chaos: Hordes of Chaos was a series of wads made for Heretic actually, not Hexen! They are 5 of them, HOC I, II, III, IV, X. Here they are: link

- Scourge of Viscerus: 7 Maps. Some musics taken straight out from Castlevania (Circle of the Moon, Symphony of the Night), assets from Doom 2. Some of these maps have genius level design, a must play. link

- Shannara (5 maps): link

- Starship (6 levels) : link

- Wolfen (6 maps): link
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 06:54:39 am by CrocMagnum »

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 08:29:04 am »
I'm more of a fan of Hexen II, though I've been playing both since I was a kid, sometimes me and my sister split the controls and do co-op run, those are pretty fun, might record one and post to youtube someday.

CrocMagnum

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 08:50:57 am »
@ SleepyFist: on a side-note I made a similar post for Heretic a few months ago  :P link