News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Zill O'll infinite plus english translation  (Read 57675 times)

Mugi

• Personal text
    • View Profile
    • Blacklabel-translations
Re: Zill O'll infinite plus english translation
« Reply #100 on: May 11, 2017, 04:46:15 am »
yah it rounded a bit more than i wanted it to during resize (the raw i made is rather.... large :P) im still adjusting it. I'm sure i can make it look closer to the original if i try hard enough.

edit: maybe this time... removed the black outline and (tried to)fix the shape a little. Again a better "T"

I'll leave it be for now anyways, got more important things to fix :P
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 01:38:37 pm by Mugi »
In PSP we trust.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 11, 2017, 09:15:10 pm »
That's more like it!

Mugi

• Personal text
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 13, 2017, 05:40:56 am »
well this took a while but atleast it's done....

upper row is originals, lower is new ones, the sheet is at 2x zoom since the icons are 12x12 so you cant really see shit :P

In PSP we trust.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 13, 2017, 07:27:54 am »
I don't understand what the 死 (dead) icon is supposed to be there. It looks some sort of elaborate necklace to me.

Mugi

• Personal text
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 13, 2017, 07:36:54 am »
it's supposed to be a skull but the available 10x10 pixel space makes it rather hard to put anything in there and make sense of it.

im not even sure if this icon is used anywhere (it's completely out of place with the icon set and in the data to begin with.) I'll poke at it more once I figure out what to do with the rest of the little status icons which are still not done.
In PSP we trust.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 13, 2017, 09:22:02 am »
Maybe make the skull black and the eyes white? Like this:

https://www.iconfinder.com/icons/351312/dead_death_skeleton_skull_icon

Might be easier to recognize that way. The sword icon's solid black too, so it'd be in line with the rest of them.

Mugi

• Personal text
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 13, 2017, 10:30:57 am »
you're right, it does work better this way:

here's a few tasty pics with all the newest goodies!

In PSP we trust.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 13, 2017, 10:56:18 am »
Yeah, much better! Nice work!

ObiKKa

• Tome of retro gaming knowledge!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 14, 2017, 10:56:26 pm »
Yes, I like that skull icon better. But I don't understand that unusual character in the icon between the lightning and 'P' (New) symbols. What is it? Everything else looks perfect.

Oh, just now, I've noticed that Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception will be coming to the PS4 and PS Vita in English very soon, as well as Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth coming later on this year. Wow, what an unbelievable time to get started into the "Utawarerumono" series, what with one instalment on the PSP that you're working on. But are you also interested in a total of 3 un-translated Japanese-only "Utawarerumono" games?

Mugi

• Personal text
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 14, 2017, 11:31:38 pm »
Yes, I like that skull icon better. But I don't understand that unusual character in the icon between the lightning and 'P' (New) symbols. What is it? Everything else looks perfect.

Oh, just now, I've noticed that Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception will be coming to the PS4 and PS Vita in English very soon, as well as Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth coming later on this year. Wow, what an unbelievable time to get started into the "Utawarerumono" series, what with one instalment on the PSP that you're working on. But are you also interested in a total of 3 un-translated Japanese-only "Utawarerumono" games?

the icon between the lightning and "P" on the skill icons is .... i dont know :P it's the default icon and i saw no reason to change it really. The "AT" was changed to "P" since the auto-skills was changed to passive skills so the icon was changed to reflect that, aside that, i left the skill icons alone.

I've always been a huge fan of utawarerumono and akin to zill o'll, my dissappointment was rather epic when they back in the day annouinced sequels for it which were never delivered (utawarerumono 2 was announced very shortly after the original game, but nothing happened with it for 10 years.) you can imagine the happiness i had when they just randomly rolled out itsuwari no kamen and said that futari no hakuoro is in the works. I have all 3 games collector's editions on my shelf already :P

Like I already stated earlier, i hacked utawarerumono 2 apart as soon as it released in hopes of having it dealt with (ps3 release.) but once I heard it's coming out in english, those were set on backburner... However, since it appears that the ps3 versions wont come out in englisn (only vita and ps4 are mentioned) i will propably attempt to backport the translations.
Not releasing them on ps3 is a dick more really. -.-

as for how much work i got done before the localization announcements came?
I more or less have total access to all the data on both uta 2 and uta3 on both vita and ps3. (including the DLC encryption keys that were stored as plain text inside the .iso xD)

https://blacklabel-translations.com/archives/category/utawarerumono-2-itsuwari-no-kamen
https://blacklabel-translations.com/archives/category/utawarerumono-futari-no-hakuoro

Unfortunately utawarerumono 1 for psp is still on standstill since I have no translator for finishing it. I'll return to that project as soon as I manage to find one, Since the hacking of it is already done, it should be relatively easy for me to work it on the side with zill o'll (not that this ever happens though, translators are harder to find than paired socks from the sock drawer.)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 11:56:48 pm by Mugi »
In PSP we trust.

ginbunbun

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 15, 2017, 07:55:54 am »
I've been watching the progress of this for a while now. I've never even heard of this series before until seeing your project. I downloaded the menu patch for the ps2 version and tried it out and it's pretty cool from what I could figure out. Anyway This is probably a dumb question but I know that the psp version is just a port of the PS2 game with extra content. Would all the work you and tom have done help at all with making a full patch for the ps2 version? It would be awesome to play the game in english on my softmodded ps2 through open ps2 loader.

Mugi

• Personal text
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 15, 2017, 08:30:11 am »
in some sense, yes.

it's not that simple though. while the game itself is more or less a direct port, the graphics for example are higher resolution on ps2 and would have to be redone from scratch, and while the text file format is the same, the text files themselves were revised for the psp so they would have to be rewritten to ensure everything is in their right place. Ofcourse, while this is mostly a copypaste job, the game contains nearly 10MB of text in total, so that's a lot of copypasting.

the asm work would also have to be more or less redone from scratch. While the psp version would serve as a very good guideline for hacking the ps2 version's code, it would still require some significant assembly skills to pull out.

there is also the fact that the ps2 version of the game employs some very heavy data obfuscation / protection mechanics, which i've only partially cracked so far.
all in all the psp translation would serve a huge help in hacking the ps2 version but this is not a task that should be taken lightly or considered as an easy project by any means.

as of this moment im not considering of doing it atleast until im 100% done with the psp version. I've waited 18 years to play this game and i just want to atleast get one version done instead of sitting on 2 versions for a forever.

I have already informed saito of transgen (maker of the ps2 menu trnaslation) about what i know about the data format and god knows if he is willing to take another try on that version. if he does, i will gladly put all my assistance available to supporting him, but until i have a playable, fully english psp version myself, i wont personally work on the other versions of the game.
In PSP we trust.

ginbunbun

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 15, 2017, 11:14:50 am »
in some sense, yes.

it's not that simple though. while the game itself is more or less a direct port, the graphics for example are higher resolution on ps2 and would have to be redone from scratch, and while the text file format is the same, the text files themselves were revised for the psp so they would have to be rewritten to ensure everything is in their right place. Ofcourse, while this is mostly a copypaste job, the game contains nearly 10MB of text in total, so that's a lot of copypasting.

the asm work would also have to be more or less redone from scratch. While the psp version would serve as a very good guideline for hacking the ps2 version's code, it would still require some significant assembly skills to pull out.

there is also the fact that the ps2 version of the game employs some very heavy data obfuscation / protection mechanics, which i've only partially cracked so far.
all in all the psp translation would serve a huge help in hacking the ps2 version but this is not a task that should be taken lightly or considered as an easy project by any means.

as of this moment im not considering of doing it atleast until im 100% done with the psp version. I've waited 18 years to play this game and i just want to atleast get one version done instead of sitting on 2 versions for a forever.

I have already informed saito of transgen (maker of the ps2 menu trnaslation) about what i know about the data format and god knows if he is willing to take another try on that version. if he does, i will gladly put all my assistance available to supporting him, but until i have a playable, fully english psp version myself, i wont personally work on the other versions of the game.
right i totally get what you mean. Either way When this is done I can at least play the psp version on my modded playstation TV so theres that.

Mugi

• Personal text
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 15, 2017, 12:57:12 pm »
right i totally get what you mean. Either way When this is done I can at least play the psp version on my modded playstation TV so theres that.

that's what i'll do assuming my little project of consolizing an actual psp is not ready by that time :P
In PSP we trust.

ObiKKa

• Tome of retro gaming knowledge!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 16, 2017, 01:48:26 pm »
the icon between the lightning and "P" on the skill icons is .... i dont know :P it's the default icon and i saw no reason to change it really. The "AT" was changed to "P" since the auto-skills was changed to passive skills so the icon was changed to reflect that, aside that, i left the skill icons alone.

After taking a good, hard look at that '3-cross' icon, I think I now know what it may be. It's maybe supposed to be a 'stun' spell or maybe 'heal' magic. It probably indicates a person seeming to be unconscious or knocked out. Do you use it to stun enemies?

Mugi

• Personal text
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 16, 2017, 02:50:11 pm »
After taking a good, hard look at that '3-cross' icon, I think I now know what it may be. It's maybe supposed to be a 'stun' spell or maybe 'heal' magic. It probably indicates a person seeming to be unconscious or knocked out. Do you use it to stun enemies?

naaah, the icon is used for the magic category of skills, which contains all the magic subclasses.

here it's used for the skill class "magic"

which contains the following sub-skill classes:
In PSP we trust.

ExL

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 16, 2017, 11:13:15 pm »
I do like how's everything came out :thumbsup:
New icons are looking good. On the "P" note, it's only one without glyph, kinda odd to see it there. Maybe ring with rays from it or human shape? I don't think it's a big deal what exactly will be there as players will receive it the same, more importantly is it looking in-line with rest of icons, so be creative 8)

Mugi

• Personal text
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 17, 2017, 10:50:19 pm »
I might try and play with the "P" a bit, since even if i would keep it as P, im not quite 100% happy with it yet. It's a little too thick i think... or something, but something on it ticks me off a bit.
on the matter of being out-of-line with the others, i guess, but not any more than the original icon was, which was "AT" xD
Whatever is used on those skill categories will not be a big deal when it comes to understanding them and their meanings anyway, since that particular screen is the only place in the game that uses these icons. So you can just read what they mean.

on that line, I've been putting more and more work on trying to get the little things done that i've neglected from the UI for far too long for my own taste, and aside the dreaded HP/MP text bug on the battle screens, things are getting REALLY close on being done on that area of work.

few things i did amongst others:

a clean "Turn" on battle mode, along with a new font for the turn numbers on it (i had to separate the font from the damage indicator numbers to have them use a different one)

Edit: having 2 fonts for the turn and the digits just rubbed me too much in wrong direction, fixed.

and finally got myself to take apart the button map and fix the pixelated control button icons that kept rubbing me in wrong directions for a long time.
since im a friendly potato, i decided to give the end user 3 choices based on personal preference;

original zill type (white buttons, black symbols) // PSP type (black buttons, white symbols) // PS2 type (black buttons, colored symbols)

the original buttons did their job, but why use 2 colors when you can use 200 of them ? :P

this will be one of the optional gimmicks on the patch along with the ps1 soundtrack etc..

« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 10:22:42 am by Mugi »
In PSP we trust.

Mugi

• Personal text
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 26, 2017, 01:20:44 pm »
Good morning people!

I bring good news and good news and good news.

first of all, I've been working with the ppsspp devs in order to try and get zill into a little more playable state than it was when i started this project.
that has now happened and the latest git build completely eliminates a bundle of issues such as blurry text, bloom overglow, random crashes and such on.

the issue with the crashing is still there with D3D11, and the same crashing causes the game to blackscreen on OpenGL, but on D3D9 it's now fully working (minor graphical issues exist.)
the whole crashing issue is still being worked on and i have faith in that it will eventually be sorted out so that any rendering backend can be used with the game. Currently, the solution is to stick with D3D9 which was previously not so preferred choice due to the fact that it made the game look ugly as shits (a bug in the code the devs accidentally introduced some versions back was the root cause.)

second good news.

the graphics work is all done, and once i manage to insert the last edited image into the game, it is also 100% implemented.
the third good news will also talk about graphics though.

so, the actual graphics work is done, but then (as some of you have already seen on the screenshots thread) this happened:

what you're looking at is our resident good guy Xenetes running at his texture resulution doubled (256x256/256color against original 128x128/64color)

for comparison;

I toyed with implementing the ps2 version textures into the psp and after tinkering with it a bit, I saw that using half of the ps2 textures original resolution is still perfectly fine with the little psp.
this has been ran through a good pile of tests already and does NOT introduce any form of performance issues on real hardware whatsoever.
ofcourse, if we're talking about the emulator, the full 512x512 resolution textures could be used, but I'm not implementing them since they are not HW compatible. (or well, enjoy 5FPS :P)

In PSP we trust.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 26, 2017, 01:55:23 pm »
Those boots really stand out now!