News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mega Man X3 - Zero Project (V4.0)  (Read 345820 times)

DannyPlaysSomeGames

• Wait, this isn't Burger King
    • View Profile
Re: Mega Man X3 - Zero Project (V4.0)
« Reply #920 on: March 23, 2019, 07:43:35 pm »
Yeah, I mentioned it to Justin3009 a while back. I believe he stated that at some point he might make it so that the life bar disappears when bosses are defeated. I think it's due to the blue palette used when the bosses explode.
The thing is, it also happens on minibosses, so the health bar suddenly disappearing then reappearing would be weird. Still a valid and good alternative. Also, shouldn't it match Zero's palette anyway? Or would that interfere with the Zero's weapon color patch?
Hey there

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: March 24, 2019, 09:01:06 am »
Currently reading the Readme for this hack, and I'm curious as to what this means:
7.   The Golden Armor can now be collected in two manners instead of one.
   a.   The first manner is the same as the original game with all upgrades.
   b.   The second manner is based on the Chip Capsules obtained. You can now collect ALL Chip Capsules instead of picking just one. If all four are collected, go to the Golden Armor capsule like normal and you will obtain the Golden Armor! This bypasses the need for full health, all Sub-tanks and all Heart Tanks!
   c.   However, you cannot mix and match these to obtain the Golden Armor. You can go either route, but both routes don't mix to allow obtaining it.
Does this mean that I can't get all the upgrades if I were to get all the Chip Capsules if I want the Golden Armor and vice-versa?

This essentially means that instead of having to gather every single possible upgrade (IE: Sub-Tanks, Heart Tanks), you can just get the armor pieces and collect each chip at the pink capsules. You can change what chip is active by going back to the capsules, but essentially they get stored into your inventory instead of straight up disappearing.

So if you have all armor parts and all chips, you can still obtain the golden armor without having all sub-tanks or all heart tanks. (You STILL have to visit the Golden Capsule though)

Or you can go the normal route and gather all upgrades and still get it that way too. Figured it'd be a fun alternative route to getting it. It's not a major game changer or anything but it is kind of fun.

I played a bit, and I gotta say, I really enjoy this. So many things have been fixed and tinkered with that give X3 a great facelift that it kind of needed. Zero feels great to play as, and some of the quality of life choices are a great addition.

Only issue is a fairly tiny bug: for some reason, whenever a midboss/stage boss explodes, the emblem on Zero's HP bar becomes blue for some reason:

But that little bug aside, it's great! It feels very complete for the most part, so hats off to you!

This is a palette bug really. The only real way to fix this would be to shift the explosion palette to another location then rewrite the palette being used back. I could alter the blue explosions but it'd look extremely gross. It's just a minor graphical but and I've been lazy to fix it since I'd have to do special cases until I was able to figure out a specific way to make it work across the board.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

DannyPlaysSomeGames

• Wait, this isn't Burger King
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: March 24, 2019, 09:06:56 am »
This is a palette bug really. The only real way to fix this would be to shift the explosion palette to another location then rewrite the palette being used back. I could alter the blue explosions but it'd look extremely gross. It's just a minor graphical but and I've been lazy to fix it since I'd have to do special cases until I was able to figure out a specific way to make it work across the board.
It's alright. It's not an important bug, it's just something I noticed. I'm pretty sure it won't bother that many people, so if you feel like it's more of a hassle than it's worth that's totally fine.
Hey there

AxlRocks

• View Profile
« Reply #923 on: March 24, 2019, 06:35:01 pm »
That screenshot reminded me: I don't know if this has been brought up before, maybe even by me, heck if I'd remember, but ever since I noticed it, it bugged me how X3's weapon energy bars use different shades of white/gray/black than what is used by Hyper C and the health bars. I think X2 has this "issue" too, less so, but anyway.

Instead of asking, I figured it out myself and changed them to match the health. This does change some weapon icons slightly, but nothing detrimental at all, 100% worth it if you obsess over stupid things like I do. This should be applied over a headerless Zero Project 4.0. I might change up the weapon icon colors too, like Acid Burst, which I think looks really washed out either way and looks much better in the menu.

Example:
Download: https://mega.nz/#!bjZCUSzZ!6qMUrObcG0n8AjIKj8TLPJ-bf5EDs1GBAvvKBzA79HE

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #924 on: April 09, 2019, 07:26:32 pm »
I was reading the readme for this and remembered you had mentioned extra character slots, how hard would it be to make one of those an X that never gets armor?

I think X5 and up have this option already.

Teemu

• View Profile
« Reply #925 on: May 25, 2019, 10:46:32 am »
Zero Project is part of the official Mega Man RTA Leaderboards, and here is a recent world record by me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15WZdZfCT3g

Zero Only in 42:41.

It's a good run, nailed most of the strats. First try elevator skip in Doppler 2. I still believe in sub 42, and I would like to see it one day. For a Zero Only run, that is. For this run, I collected one subtank for safety. Skipped everything else. In a run with character swaps, I guess the fastest route would be Zero through the 8 mavs, collecting the boots and buster upgrade, then killing Zero at Doppler 2, and finishing the game as X with the beam saber because it saves a crap ton of time in the boss rush and Sigma. The boots would be collected for elevator skip.

I haven't really looked into a run with X at all, though, so I'm not sure, though.

It's a tough run, very challenging towards the end. I just still really dislike not having a quick kill saber for Zero in the refights because it literally means having the exact same boss fights twice in a run, and that's lame. Not to mention having to deal with Tiger and Catfish RNG twice in one run. And the removal of the insta kills for Crawfish and Seahorse hurts a little, too. But if that's the way it's gonna be, then that's the way it's gonna be.

I still like it a lot.

Prouncer

• View Profile
« Reply #926 on: May 26, 2019, 06:40:32 pm »
I don't know if anyone has requested or talked about it. But is it possible to make it so that Zero can be controlled by the P2 controller? Like an option in the start menu?