News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Tengai Makyou Zero translation project  (Read 109588 times)

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
Re: Tengai Makyou Zero translation project
« Reply #1080 on: November 13, 2017, 02:13:29 pm »
Does anybody know how to change the rails directions in the gold mine? I see some kind of devices but they're out of reach. I've tried to come at different hours during the day to see if they change according to a schedule, but it's always the same (there are only two "trains" and both only do a full circle and goes back to the starting point. One of them lets me get some treasure boxes, but nothing more). I ended up increasing the amount of gold vouchers using cheategine because retrieving gold dust and exchanging it for vouchers was a PITA :laugh:.

There is another entrance to the mine from where you can get to the switches which control the rails. But the loot you get in the rooms this unlocks is nothing special, to be honest.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: November 13, 2017, 05:31:06 pm »
Is perhaps that secret boss...

Spoiler:
a monkey? Because I'm clueless about the crab-crab cavern in the Dragon Kingdom. I've watched all the crabs shows and then they tell me about their "tragic" story, but when I enter the crab-crab cavern, it's always empty. I thought after hearing the crabs' story, it would trigger some event making that monkey to appear at the end of that cavern and, after defeating it, the crabs would retrieve their old home, but that little SOAB doesn't appear.

The way to activate this is actually pretty complex, but if has to do with an old Japanese folk tale. I'm definitely not spoiling anything by saying that, but even though the boss is super underwhelming, I thought the way the secret quest is presented was actually pretty nifty.

xZabuzax

• View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: November 13, 2017, 07:57:22 pm »
The way to activate this is actually pretty complex, but if has to do with an old Japanese folk tale. I'm definitely not spoiling anything by saying that, but even though the boss is super underwhelming, I thought the way the secret quest is presented was actually pretty nifty.

Just go ahead and spoil it dude (add the spoiler tag to the comment), to be honest most people's are not interested in this game, it is understandable, most of us from the Snes era are close to our forties so the "awe" in Snes games is not there anymore and most people's won't bother in trying to fight that secret boss either because there's no good updated english walkthrough and we won't bother in figuring it out either.

So just let it go and spoil any secrets that you guys know about this game.

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: November 14, 2017, 07:56:26 am »
Just go ahead and spoil it dude (add the spoiler tag to the comment), to be honest most people's are not interested in this game, it is understandable, most of us from the Snes era are close to our forties so the "awe" in Snes games is not there anymore and most people's won't bother in trying to fight that secret boss either because there's no good updated english walkthrough and we won't bother in figuring it out either.

So just let it go and spoil any secrets that you guys know about this game.

I've found some info about that event in Japanese, and with my rudimentary knowledge of it and the always useful Rikalchan firefox plugin, I'm trying to make some sense out it:

マントーを飼育できる

「カニのカブト」、「ウスのよろい」、「ハチのツルギ」、
「クリのお守り」、「クソふんだクツ」の5つを持っていることが条件。
この条件を満たした状態で、竜王国の北東にあるカニカニ洞へ行くと
マントーとの戦闘になる。
この戦闘に勝って、火熊国の卵屋へ行くと、
マントーがペットとしてエントリーされる。

By the way, I'm in my forties and I've enjoyed this game. I've been looking forward to it for years and it has been quite a rewarding experience being able to play it at last from start to finish (it adds, in a way, a feeling of "closure" to a long lasting wish of mine for many years). There are also several other snes games I'm waiting for, such as Daikaijuu Monogatari 2, Shin Momotarou Densetsu (I think no one's even trying to translate this one), Last Bible 3, God, Tenshi no Uta, Odisselya 2 (another game with no known plans of being translated; it seems to involve time travel), and many others I forgot now.

I don't know why, but snes jrpgs make me feel something that other newer jrpgs don't. Perhaps it's me, that I'm fond of the snes era and experience them in a different way. I've enjoyed Makyou Zero more than, for instance, Bravely default/Second, Radiant Historia and many others.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 10:03:12 am by aqualung »

lastdual

• View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: November 14, 2017, 08:46:50 am »
Late thirties here :) I'm definitely enjoying my playthrough of this (though I may restart when the December update comes out), and there are several other SNES titles that I'm very much looking forward to, such as Ganbare Goemon 2!

I don't have as much free time as in years past, and SNES games often suffer less from the "feature creep" that turns me off from many modern games. There's a beauty in the relative simplicity that many of these classic titles offer.

xZabuzax

• View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: November 14, 2017, 09:06:03 am »
Don't get me wrong, I also enjoyed playing this game from start to finish but let's be honest, the only peoples interested in Snes games are the hardcore retro guys like us but then again, the "awe" is not the same anymore since we are pretty old by now and most of us won't even bother in trying to figure out the secrets of this game so is better to just spoil everything.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: November 14, 2017, 10:58:56 pm »
By the way, I'm in my forties and I've enjoyed this game. I've been looking forward to it for years and it has been quite a rewarding experience being able to play it at last from start to finish (it adds, in a way, a feeling of "closure" to a long lasting wish of mine for many years). There are also several other snes games I'm waiting for, such as Daikaijuu Monogatari 2, Shin Momotarou Densetsu (I think no one's even trying to translate this one), Last Bible 3, God, Tenshi no Uta, Odisselya 2 (another game with no known plans of being translated; it seems to involve time travel), and many others I forgot now.
I want to do the Momo RPG series, though it will still be awhile as I am once again attempting to learn Japanese.
I do have a script dump but when I do work on it more, menus are going to be the big issue.
The Famicom version of Gaiden is a more reachable goal at this point. But I'm still unsure which are the "best' versions to work on.
My additional plan has been to somehow learn PS1 hacking at some point and do that version of II.
I have seen the PCE version of 1 ("Turbo") is significantly different than the Famicom, but it's probably better to get some form of each game translated than to worry about alternates.
And there is the GBC 1+2 but I'm not sure about working on that. It probably could use a text speed hack though at the least. It's soooo sloooow!
There was someone on Odysselya 2 but I think that person has retired. (the DQ3 guy who picked up ROM hacking pretty quickly, as I recall)
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: November 16, 2017, 12:36:10 am »

The first time the text says "break through the barrier" (first screenshot), but if you talk to the dragon another time, the shorter version has "destroy the barrier" (second screenshot), which doesn't make sense in context.

I'll change destroy to break through.

That's probably the only instance of "Dark Swordsman" I've seen. In all others he's called the "Swordsman of Darkness".

There were three references to the Dark Swordsman in the script. I've changed them all to the Swordsman of Darkness.

Given that the name refers to black and white, it should probably be spelled "atramentous" in all instances.

This was more than a typo... I've been spelling it wrong my whole life! (Fortunately, it's not a word I use often!)

I believe this should say "murmuring".

Somebody reported this on twitter, so it's already fixed!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think "admit somebody to do something" is grammatically correct.

Yeah, I changed it to permit.

A minor nitpick, but shouldn't "my friend" be "ol' pal" for consistency?

No, that's not Akamaru there. It's just a guy who looks like him!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 12:41:36 am by Tom »

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #1088 on: November 16, 2017, 10:22:56 am »
No, that's not Akamaru there. It's just a guy who looks like him!

Right. I kinda assumed they were all supposed to be using the same speech patterns. Speaking of which, what was Akamaru's speech quirk exactly in the original, a peculiar verb ending?

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: November 16, 2017, 05:48:17 pm »
They do use similar patterns. In fact, sometimes Akamaru also says "my friend," as in:
Spoiler:
"Whew... You and the girl pack quite a punch, my friend!"

Akamaru and the people of Flower Circle Village all speak with an Osaka dialect in Japanese. I've seen lot of translations use a straight-up southern accent to approximate the Osaka dialect, but I feel that a southern accent has its own inappropriate connotations, so I made it a bit of a mishmash to feel somewhat distinct, but not exactly southern.

chicco30

• View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: November 17, 2017, 03:07:05 pm »
Im still waiting to play this great game on my Ps3 or xbox360 :(
@Tom: do you workin on Last Bible 3?

Magma Dragoon

• Every day is night
    • View Profile
    • My Hideout
« Reply #1091 on: November 17, 2017, 05:30:27 pm »
I'm still waiting for a official release of Snes9x that supports this to play it.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: November 17, 2017, 07:28:35 pm »
chicco - Yeah, I'm translating Last Bible III and Zill O'll Infinite Plus at the moment.

Now that the script revisions seem pretty much done, I'll try to put together a finalized Tengai Makyou Zero patch. We still need to clear up one issue with the Zzz graphic (which always appears as solid black, even though it should be white inside).

There has also been one very odd in-battle graphics glitch reported - a complete mystery to me. The person who reported it can't get it to trigger again.

xZabuzax

• View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: November 17, 2017, 08:31:07 pm »
There has also been one very odd in-battle graphics glitch reported - a complete mystery to me. The person who reported it can't get it to trigger again.

You mean this one?

I had that a lot on my playthrough but I never reported it though, it disappears once the battle ends and it may happen again randomly during a battle. That's probably a Snes9X issue because I can't make it happen when I'm using Bsnes.

That glitch started happening when I started abusing the "Red Dragon" katana but it never happened in the beginning when I started abusing that item, it actually started happening in the cave where you find the robot behind the waterfall. Before you get inside the robot there's some sort of "rainbow bridge", you get on top of it to get inside the robot so it has something to do with that "rainbow bridge" because the first time it happened was when that bridge was present. After that I started having this issue randomly during a battle.

My conclusion, that glitch only happens in Snes9X and has something to do with a combination of the "Red Dragon" katana being used as an item in Strategy and the "Rainbow Bridge" to get inside the robot.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 09:05:43 pm by xZabuzax »

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: November 17, 2017, 09:51:53 pm »
Yes, xZabuzax. That is the glitch - DDS believes that it is due to a glitch with the strategies, related to the reported issue with the Red Dragon Katana. What you say here seems to back this up. If that's the case, then it's already fixed and won't be an issue in the patch update.

So then really, the only issue left to fix is the black Zzz graphic. DougRPG and FlashPV are trying to settle this matter now.

xZabuzax

• View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: November 17, 2017, 10:01:43 pm »
Yes, xZabuzax. That is the glitch - DDS believes that it is due to a glitch with the strategies, related to the reported issue with the Red Dragon Katana. What you say here seems to back this up. If that's the case, then it's already fixed and won't be an issue in the patch update.

So then really, the only issue left to fix is the black Zzz graphic. DougRPG and FlashPV are trying to settle this matter now.

Ahh cool, good to know that the issue is fixed. I also had that issue fighting the last boss and it was pretty annoying. I fixed the issue by removing the "Red Dragon" katana from strategies so that's definitely the issue then. What I don't understand is that it never happened in the beginning and it only started happening in the "Rainbow Bridge" before entering the robot.

But oh well, good to know that the glitch will be fixed in the next update.

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: November 21, 2017, 03:47:18 am »
SNES games & getting old, but at least you guys are leaving behind some legacy. I don't know how much support SNES translation will get in the next 10 years.

SCO

• View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: November 21, 2017, 08:10:09 am »
There are still quite a few Japan exclusives (and Satteliview) that aren't translated. And many subpar translations of course.

cccmar

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #1098 on: November 21, 2017, 08:16:42 am »
NES and SNES still have by far the highest number of active fan-translators/hackers working on them. Compare that to systems like Saturn or PCE-CD. Perhaps it's not a fair comparison, as CD-based systems are vastly different, but even so, the difference is pretty drastic. Same goes to Genesis or even just plain PCE. Believe me, that well won't go dry anytime soon. 8) There are quite a few interesting games left, such as Last Bible III for instance.

Ishkabibble

• View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: November 21, 2017, 10:26:45 am »
I dunno, I think there will always be a certain hardcore niche of devotees and fans of the 3rd/4th console generations of games and beyond.  Don't get me wrong, it will be a comparatively small cult group, but I think interest will always be there to some capacity.

NES and SNES still have by far the highest number of active fan-translators/hackers working on them. Compare that to systems like Saturn or PCE-CD. Perhaps it's not a fair comparison, as CD-based systems are vastly different, but even so, the difference is pretty drastic. Same goes to Genesis or even just plain PCE. Believe me, that well won't go dry anytime soon. 8) There are quite a few interesting games left, such as Last Bible III for instance.

Speaking of Saturn, there are those other Tengai Makyou games I'm dying to see translated.  Though I know there's a good chance it probably won't happen anytime soon.