News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Tengai Makyou Zero translation project  (Read 103101 times)

juef

• View Profile
Re: Tengai Makyou Zero translation project
« Reply #1060 on: November 08, 2017, 06:59:51 am »
The RTC data is in BCD, so really easily editable through a hex editor, for those interested!

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #1061 on: November 08, 2017, 07:48:21 am »
Yeah, this sure came in handy during the DST switch. However, this only applies to Snes9x, as Higan stores the date differently. The file is smaller and the fields themselves seem to be using a bit-stream, so they're not as nice to mess around with.

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: November 08, 2017, 08:16:40 am »
So I used a virtual machine (VirtualBox) to experiment with the hours to trick the clock system and it is actually 40 to 49 hours that allows you to get the Wonderfly. 39 hours and below doesn't work, 50 hours and above doesn't work either, it is 40 to 49 hours.

Thanks for the info! I'll try to get mine too. I'm not much of a completionist in games, but it will be rewarding to finally get one after having tried a few times, hehe.

Lunos

• View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: November 08, 2017, 08:31:48 am »
Higan/BSNES and git/RetroArch builds of SNES9x only AFAIK, I don't know if GX or anything like that is updated yet. Don't even try ZSNES, it won't go.

The issue isn't any huge emulation hole, but the ability to read the clock.

Hi. Excuse me, are you sure that bsnes is working?
I just tried to open the ROM using Bsnes Classic Version v073u1 and I always get the same result.
This is the first time I actually needed to use a SNES emulator that is not ZSnes, so maybe I screwed up somewhere in the configuration? Like, maybe I need to turn on an option which I currently have turned off?
The options that the emulator offers seems to be fairly simple, so I doubt that's it though :/ ..
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 09:35:48 am by Lunos »

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #1064 on: November 08, 2017, 09:23:48 am »
Hi. Excuse me, are you sure that bsnes is working?
I just tried to open the ROM using Bsnes Classic Version v073u1 and I always get the same result.
This is the first time I actually needed to use a SNES emulator that is not ZSnes, so maybe I screwed up somewhere in the configuration? Like, maybe I need to turn on an option which I currently have turned off?
The options that the emulator offers seems to be fairly simple, so I doubt that's it though :/ ..

It definitely works here with bsnes-plus 073+3, which is basically the same emulator as far as this game is concerned. Did you remember to put the .xml in file the same folder as the patched rom and renamed it to a matching filename? Incidentally, you can find a fixed Snes9x earlier in the thread, so that's also an option.

Lunos

• View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: November 08, 2017, 09:35:53 am »
It definitely works here with bsnes-plus 073+3, which is basically the same emulator as far as this game is concerned. Did you remember to put the .xml in file the same folder as the patched rom and renamed it to a matching filename? Incidentally, you can find a fixed Snes9x earlier in the thread, so that's also an option.

I have edited my post without actually noticing your answer, I'm sorry.
Anyways, I was able to run the game but unfortunately, it wasn't running perfectly on my Potato.
I was having some frame drops in the very beginning of the game, the framerate was going from 60 to 40s and 50s and then back to 60.

Now that I've read your message though, I decided to try that version of Snes9x posted by qwertymodo and it works perfectly fine! Thank you very much :)

xZabuzax

• View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: November 09, 2017, 05:01:26 pm »
Found a bug, I'm at the end of the game and got the weapon powerup with all 3 characters that allows you to attack all enemies but before I fight Nigiri I went to get my Wonderfly and once I got it I look at the menu and I see this:

Instead of "Scrolls" it says "Red Dragon" which is an OP weapon that I use in "Strategy" for almost every attack and as you can see, "Strategy" is not there either. Don't know if this bug has something to do with the "Cash on Hand", as you can see I have plenty of ryo that I made gambling (I didn't cheat). That little issue disappears once you close the menu and open it again.

This little issue happened in both Snes9X and Bsnes, not a big deal but I'm letting you know just in case.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: November 09, 2017, 05:56:38 pm »
Found a bug, I'm at the end of the game and got the weapon powerup with all 3 characters that allows you to attack all enemies but before I fight Nigiri I went to get my Wonderfly and once I got it I look at the menu and I see this:

Instead of "Scrolls" it says "Red Dragon" which is an OP weapon that I use in "Strategy" for almost every attack and as you can see, "Strategy" is not there either. Don't know if this bug has something to do with the "Cash on Hand", as you can see I have plenty of ryo that I made gambling (I didn't cheat). That little issue disappears once you close the menu and open it again.

This little issue happened in both Snes9X and Bsnes, not a big deal but I'm letting you know just in case.

That's serious, in my book.

I'll send you a PM.

xZabuzax

• View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: November 09, 2017, 06:53:56 pm »
That's serious, in my book.

I'll send you a PM.

Hey Tom I've sent you the email.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: November 10, 2017, 12:07:02 am »
Thanks - I'll send it to DDS tonight.

From what you've said, it most likely has something to do with the fact that you're using it in as part of a strategy. That's caused similar issues in the past.

I'm pretty sure he'll be able to fix it.

xZabuzax

• View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: November 10, 2017, 01:20:20 am »
I see, I'm glad I was able to spot that out.

By the way, I don't know if this was intentional:

He says: "They ain't gettin' out prison" but shouldn't it be "They ain't gettin' out of prison" instead?

Anyways, just finished the game, is a decent RPG. The encounter rate was pretty high so I was forced to use items to reduce the encounter rate. From the 2 endings I saw one of them was extremely satisfying. It was:
Spoiler:
the one were he choses to not be the King/Ruler of Jipang. That ending gave me a bit of goosebumps and when something gives me goosebumps then it is good. The music was pretty nice too!

The translation was superb!, can't stress this enough, the translation was pretty damn good, awesome work there!

It was an awesome ride. Will start looking for another RPG to play, it will probably be Xenoblade (Wii), Albert Odyssey Gaiden ~Legend of Eldean~ (Sega Saturn) or Ys III, VI, Origin (PC).

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: November 10, 2017, 10:52:22 pm »
xZabuzax: although the game seems to prod players to choose the ending that you picked, the other choice is actually the more interesting of the two endings.

Thanks for the typo report. It'll be fixed in the update patch, which I hope to release in December.

xZabuzax

• View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: November 11, 2017, 01:13:32 am »
xZabuzax: although the game seems to prod players to choose the ending that you picked, the other choice is actually the more interesting of the two endings.

You mean the ending where Higan:
Spoiler:
chooses to be the king/ruler of Jipang?

It was nice and all but don't know, I wasn't satisfied with it. The other ending where he chooses to "not" do it felt more complete to me because it gave a nostalgic feeling when:
Spoiler:
Higan and the party were visiting the previous places. It was also thanks to this ending that I spotted the typo because I had no idea that Akamaru was in Jail so after the ending I visited that place and found him there.

Are those the only endings available or is there anything else more "secret" that I'm missing? I'm kind of a "completionist" so I want to make sure to see almost everything in a game before I move on. Is there a good english website available that provide info on this game? the website that you provided in the "Read Me" is in Japanese so I won't be doing much there.

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #1073 on: November 11, 2017, 02:59:35 am »
Is there a good english website available that provide info on this game? the website that you provided in the "Read Me" is in Japanese so I won't be doing much there.

On a related note, I hope someone makes a FAQ on GameFAQs based around the new patch. At the very least, I'm surprised that there are NO reader reviews there yet. I'm sure folks who've finished the game have a blurb of text worth to say about it. (EDIT: On this site too btw. There is only one!)

LynxxLancer

• View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: November 11, 2017, 04:05:11 am »
I know a quick level up trick if anyone is interested :)

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: November 11, 2017, 10:32:45 am »
Yes, there are only two endings. There is a secret boss, though. It's tied to the PLGS events... Of course, it's not a challenging boss at all. There's no good English website for Tengai Makyou Zero - the gamefaqs guide is riddled with errors and misinformation.

I doubt anyone will make a solid English guide for the game, as the game is relatively unknown, and the only people fit to write a comprehensive English guide for it simply don't have access to all of the information that they would need to write it, unless they can understand Oubutei's Japanese guide...

Really, I want people to play through it on their own instead of using a guide anyway. Otherwise, they'll blow through the game and not really enjoy it as much as they might have, had they taken their time and been surprised by the events, instead of spoiling everything ahead of time and rushing to the finish line.

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: November 11, 2017, 03:20:02 pm »
Yes, there are only two endings. There is a secret boss, though. It's tied to the PLGS events... Of course, it's not a challenging boss at all. There's no good English website for Tengai Makyou Zero - the gamefaqs guide is riddled with errors and misinformation.

I doubt anyone will make a solid English guide for the game, as the game is relatively unknown, and the only people fit to write a comprehensive English guide for it simply don't have access to all of the information that they would need to write it, unless they can understand Oubutei's Japanese guide...

Really, I want people to play through it on their own instead of using a guide anyway. Otherwise, they'll blow through the game and not really enjoy it as much as they might have, had they taken their time and been surprised by the events, instead of spoiling everything ahead of time and rushing to the finish line.

Is perhaps that secret boss...

Spoiler:
a monkey? Because I'm clueless about the crab-crab cavern in the Dragon Kingdom. I've watched all the crabs shows and then they tell me about their "tragic" story, but when I enter the crab-crab cavern, it's always empty. I thought after hearing the crabs' story, it would trigger some event making that monkey to appear at the end of that cavern and, after defeating it, the crabs would retrieve their old home, but that little SOAB doesn't appear.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 03:25:09 pm by aqualung »

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: November 12, 2017, 03:03:33 am »
Aqualung: Yes, that's the one.

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #1078 on: November 12, 2017, 04:40:57 pm »
Just finished the game. All in all, it was a real blast to play through. Granted, I'd probably have enjoyed it more a few years back, when I wasn't so spoiled by modern jrpgs. Nevertheless, it was a solid game and probably the prettiest title I've seen on the SNES. The irreverent, cheeky sense of humour reminded me of Earthbound and Hourai, but with a feudal Japan vibe. The final part of the game especially made it a very satisfying experience.

As for the translation, I can only congratulate Tom and everyone else involved. This patch is all sorts of amazing. The dialogue flows well and is a joy to read. I had quite a few chuckles when playing. The hacking and translated graphics are also top-tier. So thank you for all your hard work on this project!

Now, since I'm done with the game, this should be the last batch of my reports:

#1, #2:
The first time the text says "break through the barrier" (first screenshot), but if you talk to the dragon another time, the shorter version has "destroy the barrier" (second screenshot), which doesn't make sense in context.

#3:
That's probably the only instance of "Dark Swordsman" I've seen. In all others he's called the "Swordsman of Darkness".

#4:
Given that the name refers to black and white, it should probably be spelled "atramentous" in all instances.

#5:
I believe this should say "murmuring".

#6:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think "admit somebody to do something" is grammatically correct. Usually "admit somebody to" is followed by an adverb of place, e.g. admit somebody to a club/to hospital etc. and not an infinitive. Thus, I think "allow" would be more proper for the intended meaning.

#7:
A minor nitpick, but shouldn't "my friend" be "ol' pal" for consistency?

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: November 13, 2017, 01:30:36 pm »
Well, I've finished the game yesterday. It has been quite a ride, hehe. It's a really fine game for its time. As other people have said, my only regret is not having been able to play it back in the time, along with the other snes masterpieces. It would have entered immediately in my top 5 rpgs. But now, with so many rpgs played in several platforms, the "awe" factor was dim.

Well, there's a little thing I found so-so (apart from the huge random encounter rate, which I avoided using the no random cheat from time to time), and is the Dragon Kingdom. I find as if the game development, as it happened with other games of the era like Treasure of the Rudras, was rushed from there.

Nevertheless, I have enjoyed it and in some moments I've felt like a teenager again, playing FF6, Chrono Trigger and every other snes gem. I owe it all to you, guys. Gracias ;)

Now I still have the festivals, hehehe.

-------------------------

A quick question that I didn't manage to resolve and it's "itching" me:

Does anybody know how to change the rails directions in the gold mine? I see some kind of devices but they're out of reach. I've tried to come at different hours during the day to see if they change according to a schedule, but it's always the same (there are only two "trains" and both only do a full circle and goes back to the starting point. One of them lets me get some treasure boxes, but nothing more). I ended up increasing the amount of gold vouchers using cheategine because retrieving gold dust and exchanging it for vouchers was a PITA :laugh:.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 04:33:49 pm by aqualung »