News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Tengai Makyou Zero translation project  (Read 102321 times)

Merr Clone

• View Profile
Re: Tengai Makyou Zero translation project
« Reply #740 on: October 17, 2017, 09:21:07 pm »
I wasn't advocating for selling repros, just entertaining a what-if scenario. I personally don't care if people make repros, though. I know I'm in the minority for thinking that. To be honest, I think dumping roms is even worse for the gaming industry, because it decreases scarcity. But it's part and parcel with being able to translate and hack these games. The good outweighs the bad.

And at the very least, repros contribute to scarcity and make games more valuable. They give new life to old games, and make them accessible to more people. They get a lot of hate around here, but I'm totally okay with them.

People can smash carts with a hammer if they want to. Once that cart is yours, it's up to you what you do with it. If someone wants to modify their cart to play it in English, I'd welcome them to do so.

If somebody tries to profit off of people not wanting to do it themselves, well, that's on their conscience. Everybody will have the opportunity to do it for themselves, at least!

What I like about repros, is that it is kind of cool to have a never released in English SFC game, acting like a newly released SNES title. To have a box, and a manual, in English, with a copy of the English game inside, I can understand that.

xZabuzax

• View Profile
« Reply #741 on: October 17, 2017, 09:50:33 pm »
About the Snes9x I have, I need to recompile it because the rom changed a little since I first tested. But I'll put it somewhere to download. This is version 1.54.1 modified to support the translation. The only difference to the official release is that it doesn't have the video record feature, because that needed a specifc library that I wasn't able to find.

Snes9x is the snes emulator I use and I've never used the record feature nor will I use it anytime soon, I'm not the type of gamer that likes to record things so I have no problem with your Snes9x version.

Hopefully you can release your Snes9x version once the english patch comes out. And again, good job to all you dudes involved in the english translation, you deserve a big kudos!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 09:55:35 pm by xZabuzax »

khalismur

• View Profile
« Reply #742 on: October 17, 2017, 10:04:06 pm »
Very nice guys !!! After 13 years I will finally be able to play this :-))

Looking forward to see the manual, Tom!

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #743 on: October 17, 2017, 10:52:25 pm »
As soon as I get DougRPG's part for the readme, the manual and packaging will get released. The patch will be released shortly thereafter.

Melchior

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Sage of Life
    • View Profile
    • Baron Engineer Nation
« Reply #744 on: October 17, 2017, 10:54:37 pm »
As soon as I get DougRPG's part for the readme, the manual and packaging will get released. The patch will be released shortly thereafter.

HUYWAYY HAPPY DAYS!! ;) :P :)
been waiting to try this game for more then a decade.. lol ;)

niuus

• View Profile
« Reply #745 on: October 17, 2017, 11:19:43 pm »
About the Snes9x I have, I need to recompile it because the rom changed a little since I first tested. But I'll put it somewhere to download. This is version 1.54.1 modified to support the translation. The only difference to the official release is that it doesn't have the video record feature, because that needed a specifc library that I wasn't able to find.
Will you release the source inside the zip? That would be cool for updating other Snes9x builds.

Finally, i will be able to enjoy my Tengai Makyou Zero, now that we have an official and professional english translation. Thanks to all involved!

Melchior

• Sage of Life
    • View Profile
    • Baron Engineer Nation
« Reply #746 on: October 17, 2017, 11:29:11 pm »
LOL I love it!
I know you all call it "Tengai Makyou Zero" and that that is supposed to be the office name for the series..

BUT I love/loke it named FRoEZ lol ;)

ITS plastered all over all the game and its pack contents lol :P ;)

lol so you will forgive me ;)

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #747 on: October 18, 2017, 12:03:34 am »
I have stated many times the reason why this Tengai Makyou game has the name P.H. Chada's "book" (Far East of Eden) on the package as decorative text - because it refers to Jipang's history. Most of them have it on the package. Some, however, do not. It's not the title, in any case.

Tengai Makyou The Apocalypse 4 and Oriental Blue: Ao no Tengai specifically are not set in Jipang, and do not have Far East of Eden on the package.

Yes, the title is in Japanese. So are the Shin Megami Tensei games. So are the Suikoden games. One of my goals with this translation is to establish this for the series. Given enough time and repetition, it will sound natural.

I really don't ask for much, but I just ask this: that people refer to the series by its proper name, Tengai Makyou, and understand that Far East of Eden is just the name of P.H. Chada's "book," and not exactly the name of the games that were "inspired" by it.

October 18, 2017, 12:08:34 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Everything you've shown in your picture has been translated, niuus, including that PLGS clock promotional insert and the cart sticker! Can't wait to share it!

Melchior

• Sage of Life
    • View Profile
    • Baron Engineer Nation
« Reply #748 on: October 18, 2017, 12:52:46 am »
Oriental Blue ooh I have the fan translation of that one....
I never did finish it for some reason..

niuus

• View Profile
« Reply #749 on: October 18, 2017, 02:50:34 am »
Everything you've shown in your picture has been translated, niuus, including that PLGS clock promotional insert and the cart sticker! Can't wait to share it!

Wow, what?! How nice! Can't wait to see all this material that i couldn't understand and enjoy before :beer:

dejan07

• View Profile
« Reply #750 on: October 18, 2017, 07:33:06 am »
Oriental Blue ooh I have the fan translation of that one....
I never did finish it for some reason..

Are you aware who did that fan translation?

Melchior

• Sage of Life
    • View Profile
    • Baron Engineer Nation
« Reply #751 on: October 18, 2017, 10:29:24 am »
Are you aware who did that fan translation?
No.. not off the top of my head..
but I keep backups of the patches so....

Oriental Blue: Ao no Tengai
English Localization (v1.0)
The Romhacking Aerie
aerie.wingdreams.net
Released: September 16th, 2013

Localization Staff

Programming         Kingcom
 Translation         Tom     <-- Ahh HUH!!? lol ;) TY..
 Graphic Editing     Deets
 Beta Testing        Carnivol
                     DAISfromSB
                     Kaioshin
                     Lord Oddeye
                     VgameT
                     Xanathis
 Special Thanks      Gemini
hmm got it 2013... haven't touched it since 2015/2016.. for some reason... =/

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #752 on: October 18, 2017, 01:51:29 pm »

Will you release the source inside the zip? That would be cool for updating other Snes9x builds.

Pretty sure he has to because of the license.

SCO

• View Profile
« Reply #753 on: October 18, 2017, 03:30:22 pm »
If it's a question of the patched file md5sum or similar being different, there might be a 'virtuous bug' in that softpatching might evade that (emulator uses original md5sum to recognize settings, *then* softpatches into memory). Similar to something that happens with retroarch unrecognized fan-patches, where if the core can softpatch, at least the original rom metadata is correct (even if you're not playing the 'original' rom).

On the other hand, if the patch changes something fundamental about the required chip settings on the rom itself, then using the 'post-softpatch' md5sum would be required and require another hack in the source code. *shrugs*. This is the reason i call it a 'virtuous bug', logically consistent behavior is to get the hashcode after the softpatch, even if the contrary is more useful if it works. It's basically the fault of the underspecified rom format i think.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 03:35:29 pm by SCO »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: October 18, 2017, 05:33:14 pm »
I'm guessing the translation is using ROM expansion that wasn't utilized on any actual SPC7110 carts, so is thus not technically officially verifiable (but obviously Doug has made a cart that works).

I'm guessing SNES9x only supports the "official" memory mapping and needs modification to support an unofficial expansion.
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

DougRPG

• View Profile
« Reply #755 on: October 18, 2017, 09:09:27 pm »
I put a video in youtube showing the game running in the real Snes. The link is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdFeIF8GRUk&feature=youtu.be

My english pronunciation is not so good, so be patient  ;)

mikeprado30

• View Profile
« Reply #756 on: October 18, 2017, 09:59:10 pm »
Now the hype is out of control!

Can't wait!  :crazy:

bytemedeep

• View Profile
« Reply #757 on: October 18, 2017, 10:16:56 pm »
I put a video in youtube showing the game running in the real Snes. The link is:

WOW! Your video made me giddy like a little school girl. No joke. Hahaha. Seeing the translated version run from the actual cart on real hardware melts my heart. Can't wait to try the patch myself and see the wonderful work you guys did!

Merr Clone

• View Profile
« Reply #758 on: October 18, 2017, 10:27:45 pm »

That was quite nice, just made me think of my experience playing Chrono Trigger, sitting down in front of a TV, spread out, so comfortable being engrossed in a long RPG title, except this game never saw an English release, which is so cool.

Thanks for the video, DougRPG!

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #759 on: October 19, 2017, 07:38:15 am »

It's good enough! I could understand everything you said.

Now all you need to do is send me your section for the readme!