News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Tengai Makyou Zero translation project  (Read 79169 times)

xZabuzax

• View Profile
Re: Tengai Makyou Zero translation project
« Reply #620 on: September 23, 2017, 10:01:41 pm »
Thanks for keeping us up to date Tom, hopefully those issues can be addressed.

Just in case, is this game the hardest Snes game to translate?, I mean, apparently is much harder than the other Snes games like "Mystic Ark" which was a pain in the ass to translate. Apart from the compressed graphic of this game which is already pretty hard to hack/crack or whatever is the rest of the game harder or more trickier to translate than "Mystic Ark"?

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #621 on: September 24, 2017, 07:44:37 am »
I did not translate Mystic Ark, so I can't say which would be harder to translate.

From the footage that I've seen of it, there are next to no graphics to translate, if there are any at all, so it would mainly just be a matter of script translation... Scripts can be quirky, though. Especially when it comes to auto-generated battle feed text.

TM Zero doesn't have any battle feed text, and it seems that neither has Mystic Ark.

In terms of the text that I've seen, they are probably about the same. Nothing too hard. Well, no. TM Zero might be a little harder because of the almanac. It has a lot of real world historical events that I had to research one by one to get the spellings and descriptions right.

Mystic Ark would not have any need for that sort of research, as far as I know. So TM Zero might be a little harder, for that reason alone.

I am sure there are games that are harder to translate, in terms of the basic script. TM Zero was pretty straight forward. There were some quirks that could have been a real pain in terms of formatting, especially when the script calls for the time and date, or the game auto-formats the lines... Working with DDS made all of those tough parts much simpler than they might have been.

Most of the work came from "flourishes" that I added, like pauses at commas and periods for spoken lines, or colored heart/music note icons. (You have no idea how finicky those were to get just right!)

I also am proud of timing the karaoke songs so that the words play in time with the music. (No small feat, I assure you!)

xZabuzax

• View Profile
« Reply #622 on: September 24, 2017, 08:44:52 am »
I see, thanks for taking your time to explain that, it is appreciated!

dejan07

• View Profile
« Reply #623 on: September 24, 2017, 12:12:40 pm »
This explains why the TM Zero was not translated until now. Many people gave just up.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #624 on: September 25, 2017, 07:49:04 am »
I don't think many people gave up. Only a few even attempted it in the first place. I think people didn't care enough about it from the start. It's just not a familiar game to them.

Mystic Ark refences "The 7th Saga," a game that more people know, but Tengai Makyou means as much to most people as Idea no Hi.

Anyway, one of the testers (a very thorough one) said that the game is error-free now. He's played through it twice.

At this point, I should start writing the read-me and passing it over to DDS, DougRPG, and FlashPV for them to write their own comments about the project. It shouldn't be long now. Maybe sometime in October, I guess. (Unless the testers find something else.)

I doubt that they will.

Melchior

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Sage of Life
    • View Profile
    • Baron Engineer Nation
« Reply #625 on: September 25, 2017, 07:55:28 am »
Well for one thing the game's ROM was huge..
MAIN ROM - 5.00 MB (5,242,880 bytes)
GFX pack - 7.81 MB (8,193,528 bytes)

is little bit bigger than the max a little over 5 megabytes and that doesn't even include all the graphics extended stuff we're just ordering two separate chip that's like 8 megabytes Plus the uses the
S-DD1 data decompression chip to decompress those stored Graphics in the other chip so yeah there's a lot to translate and then some..

I don't remember for certain but I think some of the texts and stuff was stored in those compressed graphics so they have to be edited then taken care of...
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 10:33:30 am by Melchior »

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #626 on: September 25, 2017, 09:39:22 am »
Mystic Ark refences "The 7th Saga," a game that more people know, but Tengai Makyou means as much to most people as Idea no Hi.

I played through Idea no Hi a while ago. It really is a bizarre game! It seems to be considered kusoge by a lot of people from what I've seen, but I don't know if I'd go as far. It had a pretty interesting plot, and I liked the characters by and large. You are right though, it doesn't seem to be particularly well-known.

As to Tengai Makyou... I hope that no further issues occur. :) Good to see that this project is about to be completed.

xZabuzax

• View Profile
« Reply #627 on: September 25, 2017, 06:05:02 pm »
Anyway, one of the testers (a very thorough one) said that the game is error-free now. He's played through it twice.

At this point, I should start writing the read-me and passing it over to DDS, DougRPG, and FlashPV for them to write their own comments about the project. It shouldn't be long now. Maybe sometime in October, I guess. (Unless the testers find something else.)

I doubt that they will.

Holy crap!, it's finally here, I've been waiting for almost 2 decades to play this goddamn game, that's almost 20 years!

Are there any plans in releasing the modified Snes9X along with the patch?, I don't want to use Higan to play this game. And like always, awesome job guys!

Melchior

• Sage of Life
    • View Profile
    • Baron Engineer Nation
« Reply #628 on: September 25, 2017, 06:13:11 pm »
Holy crap!, it's finally here, I've been waiting for almost 2 decades to play this goddamn game, that's almost 20 years!

Are there any plans in releasing the modified Snes9X along with the patch?, I don't want to use Higan to play this game. And like always, awesome job guys!

I have the (J) ROM already setup to run in ZSNES <-- LEGENDARY!!! :) ;) :P
needs the gfx pack though and that might be hard to find what with DeJap GONE
they were the devs originally working on Far East of Eden ZERO...

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #629 on: September 25, 2017, 06:20:00 pm »
Just wanted to pop in and confirm for everyone that Tom's translation is excellent and the game itself is easily worth the wait--even if by some unfortunate occurrence we testers missed something!

Also, playing on an old version of bsnes was not nearly as much of a hassle as I originally thought. I personally used bsnes v.088, and my old laptop had no problem running things!

xZabuzax

• View Profile
« Reply #630 on: September 25, 2017, 06:35:52 pm »
I have the (J) ROM already setup to run in ZSNES <-- LEGENDARY!!! :) ;) :P

To be honest, I was also using Zsnes and it was my main Snes emulator for a really long time, I recently switched to Snes9X because the latest version finally added rewind support. The reason I still used Zsnes was because of the rewind feature but now that Snes9X has it I don't see any reason to use Zsnes anymore.

If the Zsnes developers release a new Zsnes version fixing the audio issues I might consider going back to Zsnes again but at this moment that emulator is pretty much dead.

BTW, I still have the GFX pack to run this game on Zsnes, it's been sitting in my old HDD for more than a decade =p

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: September 25, 2017, 07:15:52 pm »
I didn't think ZSNES was THAT outdated that it still needs translation packs to run the game.
Wasn't SPC7110 decompression cracked in like 2003? The final ZSNES update was in 2007.
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #632 on: September 25, 2017, 07:26:26 pm »
Melchior, one of my goals with the game is to get people to refer to this game by the title "Tengai Makyou Zero" rather than F.E.O.E. Zero, because some entries in the Tengai series are not inspired by Far East of Eden, P.H. Chada's book about the history of Jipang.

For instance, Tengai Makyou Daiyon no Mokushiroku The Apocalypse IV, is set in America, not Jipang. As such, it is a Tengai Makyou game, but it is not a F.E.O.E. game. Oriental Blue: Ao no Tengai is set on an entirely different planet, and Jipang doesn't appear in it at all.

So this is why I want to make sure that the distinction is clear, and that people realize that Far East of Eden is only on the package because of the (fictional) book that "inspired" the series. The Tengai Makyou game series is a collaboration between "P.H. Chada" and the developers at Hudson, to bring Far East of Eden to the people of Japan, told through the medium of gaming.

I recommend that people use the compatibility releases of bsnes if you have a weaker computer. That's what I use; bsnes' reputation made a lot of people think that it just wouldn't run, but all of the testers were able to get it running without any issues.

And hey, thanks for your contributions, magictrufflez!

Melchior

• Sage of Life
    • View Profile
    • Baron Engineer Nation
« Reply #633 on: September 25, 2017, 07:31:28 pm »
ahh... so Far East of Eden ZERO refers to a book then?
still I like this name better, partially because I can pronounce it easier... :P ;)
and it sounds way cooler then
"Tengai Makyou Zero", what does it even mean/translate as?

xZabuzax

• View Profile
« Reply #634 on: September 25, 2017, 07:47:59 pm »
I didn't think ZSNES was THAT outdated that it still needs translation packs to run the game.
Wasn't SPC7110 decompression cracked in like 2003? The final ZSNES update was in 2007.

You're right, I just tried Zsnes without the GFX pack and it worked with no issues, the GFX pack is not needed at all anymore.

Melchior

• Sage of Life
    • View Profile
    • Baron Engineer Nation
« Reply #635 on: September 25, 2017, 07:52:35 pm »
hmm...  if   FEoEZ/ uses SPC7110 decompression ..

then the S-DD1... ooh now I remember.. Star Ocean 1 (SNES)???
yup SO1..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Super_NES_enhancement_chips#S-DD1

still at
MAIN ROM - 5.00 MB (5,242,880 bytes)
GFX pack - 7.81 MB (8,193,528 bytes)

HOW ON EARTH did the game devs fit 8MB down into less then 5MB of space..???

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #636 on: September 25, 2017, 08:31:25 pm »
There is no book called "Far East of Eden Zero." (Nor is there such a game.)

There is only ONE book, called "Far East of Eden: Ziria," a made-up book (it doesn't actually exist, it's just part of the game's marketing) written by "P.H. Chada" about the history of Jipang, focused on a young man named Ziria. The story goes that P.H. Chada, an American historian, worked with Hudson to bring his book to Japan as a game, and the Japanese developers chose to rebrand the game as Tengai Makyou: Ziria instead of keeping the title the same as the book.

But they kept the "original English title of the book" on the game's package as decorative text out of respect. The games that are set in Jipang put FEOE on the package to reference that they reflect P.H. Chada's history of Jipang, but not all of the games are set in Jipang, as I said, and not all of the games have FEOE on the package.

If you're having trouble with the pronunciation of Tengai Makyou, it is best approximated as "Ten Guy Mock Yo." It's not that hard to say, if you think of it like that.

It translates to something like "The Devil's Cave Beyond the Heavens." However, much like with Suikoden or Shin Megami Tensei, it is best to just leave it as the proper name of the game series, and respect the fact that Far East of Eden and Tengai Makyou, though they share a history, are not interchangeable.

StageProps

• View Profile
« Reply #637 on: September 26, 2017, 10:29:03 am »
I just hope I'll be able to play this on my 3DS--the only time I have to play games is on my commute, and I've never really enjoyed playing SNES emulators on my computer. I know DougRPG has this working in Snes9x, and there is a port of it for the 3DS, I just don't know where to start. Hopefully it'll be clearer after the patch comes out.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #638 on: September 29, 2017, 02:27:46 am »
From what I understand, the PC version of SNES9x is separate from the version on your 3DS, so it probably will require direct modification. I hope you'll be able to play it one day!

I'm just waiting on readme updates from DougRPG and Cargodin at this point.

elmer

• View Profile
« Reply #639 on: September 29, 2017, 11:29:24 am »
I'm just waiting on readme updates from DougRPG and Cargodin at this point.

Excellent ... it's getting so close!!!  ;D