News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Tengai Makyou Zero translation project  (Read 110476 times)

SCO

• View Profile
Re: Tengai Makyou Zero translation project
« Reply #600 on: September 03, 2017, 07:49:38 am »
It spits in the face of the very foundation of the emulation scene. Namely the open secret and expectation that everyone pirates, disguised under the euphemism of "backups".

Or maybe you could quit being judgmental and realize the translation community depends on the same exact dumps in order to have a translation reach everyone. If the dumping process is not reproducible, or gives different results, it is 'A Problem'. Proliferation of even more dumping 'standards', or being 'forced' to use a different base for a hack is something i don't want.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 04:39:56 am by SCO »

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
« Reply #601 on: September 03, 2017, 11:32:17 am »
Um... Dumping your own ROMs is what you're supposed to do. Pretty sure that's why we provide hashes to ID ROM dumps and not just the name of the GoodSet ROM or something.

Precisely how you acquire your backup is up to you, but to imply that dumping your own ROMs is contrary to community standards is false and unwanted.

Rick74

• View Profile
« Reply #602 on: September 03, 2017, 12:09:20 pm »
not working. i've put these two files from higan and i have the manifest.xml on the same sfc folder. i;ve tried with all snes retroarch cores. What version of retroarch and what snes coreare you using?

Sorry I can't help out more..I didn't use the manifest... Just those two files.

I'm on the latest stable Retroarch and the latest bsnes balanced core.   All I've done is take those two files from above and placed them directly in the Retroarch system folder where all other necessary bsnes files go

Have you defined a path for that system folder in Retroarch?

w1ck3d

• View Profile
« Reply #603 on: September 04, 2017, 06:54:09 am »
blaw blaw blaw

Pretty damn sure he was being sarcastic. That said, at least one SNES dumping method produces corrupt data, as noted by Byuu. So regardless of how you obtained your dump, you could still have a corrupt dump and any existing hacks could be based around a corrupt dump too.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #604 on: September 04, 2017, 07:22:46 am »
Funny in hindsight, but it wasn't my intention at the time. I was attempting (unsuccessfully) to mean what I said in a purely factual sense.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #605 on: September 06, 2017, 07:27:56 am »
It's hard to say what the status of this project is, at this point. There are technical things being discussed between DougRPG and DDS concerning some suggestions from byuu that I can't even begin to understand.

meunierd

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: September 06, 2017, 09:29:44 am »
I've been loosely following that -- none of it is really major as far as I can tell.

dejan07

• View Profile
« Reply #607 on: September 06, 2017, 09:48:27 am »
Where can we follow this discussion of the titans?

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #608 on: September 06, 2017, 09:57:42 am »
I'd like to ask something if it's not much of a nuissance (disclaimer: it's not related to the current status of the project):

is that discussion related about the game translation itself, or is it about the emulators in which it will run?

thanks.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 10:29:05 am by aqualung »

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #609 on: September 06, 2017, 10:55:27 am »
That discussion is taking place largely through e-mail, so it's not up for public viewing. I don't know much about it, but from what I gather, it's about how the data is structured with the rom/roms, and how the unconventional way the game is structured will impact current and future versions of Higan. DDS was talking about making a special patching tool to simplify the process, which involves splitting the rom into three different roms (data rom, program rom, and expansion rom).

At the moment, playing the game through Higan might be a little more complex until Higan's v105 release, which will make the process automatic, and runnable through a single .sfc (and a .bml). bsnes and the hacked snes9x will be able to run it with the .sfc and .xml in any case.

It isn't clear to me if the data restructuring that was suggested will require the testers to play through the game AGAIN... If that's the case, judging by the reaction of the testers so far, that'll be a real set-back because I can already see burn-out setting in.

The translation itself is fine - one tester has reported that he has a question about one line, which he said he'll e-mail me about later. Other than that, I've heard nothing. I am pretty confident that the translation itself has no substantial issues, but there are technical snags that prevent a release nonetheless. For how long, I can't say. I just hope the game can come out this year.

Saikyou

• View Profile
« Reply #610 on: September 06, 2017, 01:39:14 pm »
I'm going to play this game on my RetroN5. I bought the game last month. 

xZabuzax

• View Profile
« Reply #611 on: September 07, 2017, 02:51:00 am »
Since I'm not in a hurry I don't mind if the english patch is released a bit later, as long as there's progress I'm ok with it. It sucks that the testers are getting burned out though, if we can get some new testers to help that would be better.

I'm interested in playing this game on the hacked Snes9X, I don't like Bsnes or Higan that much. Hopefully you guys can release the hacked Snes9X once the english patch is out.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #612 on: September 08, 2017, 08:33:37 am »
I have one tester playing now who found a typo recently. (Spendid instead of Splendid.) I was really happy that was caught. He also reported glitched shop names, which is a glitch that has been fixed before, but it keeps popping up every few revisions or so.

dejan07

• View Profile
« Reply #613 on: September 09, 2017, 08:35:48 am »
You found a needle in the haystack. Way to go! :thumbsup:

Just don't overdo it guys.

kain611

• View Profile
« Reply #614 on: September 09, 2017, 05:13:09 pm »
Willing to test if anyone needs additional help.

kain611@gmail.com

niuus

• View Profile
« Reply #615 on: September 13, 2017, 09:17:54 pm »
I have one tester playing now who found a typo recently. (Spendid instead of Splendid.) I was really happy that was caught. He also reported glitched shop names, which is a glitch that has been fixed before, but it keeps popping up every few revisions or so.
It's great to help! I love these projects, and a "new" great game which was previously only playable for japanese speakers, is always a win-win situation for everyone.

Freestate

• View Profile
« Reply #616 on: September 15, 2017, 12:15:54 am »
That discussion is taking place largely through e-mail, so it's not up for public viewing. I don't know much about it, but from what I gather, it's about how the data is structured with the rom/roms, and how the unconventional way the game is structured will impact current and future versions of Higan. DDS was talking about making a special patching tool to simplify the process, which involves splitting the rom into three different roms (data rom, program rom, and expansion rom).

At the moment, playing the game through Higan might be a little more complex until Higan's v105 release, which will make the process automatic, and runnable through a single .sfc (and a .bml). bsnes and the hacked snes9x will be able to run it with the .sfc and .xml in any case.

It isn't clear to me if the data restructuring that was suggested will require the testers to play through the game AGAIN... If that's the case, judging by the reaction of the testers so far, that'll be a real set-back because I can already see burn-out setting in.

The translation itself is fine - one tester has reported that he has a question about one line, which he said he'll e-mail me about later. Other than that, I've heard nothing. I am pretty confident that the translation itself has no substantial issues, but there are technical snags that prevent a release nonetheless. For how long, I can't say. I just hope the game can come out this year.

Please, could you test with retroarch?, it have all the emulator as cores but i can't run it and i don't know why. Some users are reporting is working.

dejan07

• View Profile
« Reply #617 on: September 18, 2017, 09:08:14 am »
After the patch is released the community can patch it for all systems. I want to play it on my Switch.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #618 on: September 22, 2017, 11:39:30 pm »
Update:

Got some glitch reports in, relating to item names and strategies. It's a little baffling because the reports largely seem to be issues that I thought were addressed before - things seem to be rebreaking.

I hope DDS can replicate these issues in the current rom.

xZabuzax

• View Profile
« Reply #619 on: September 23, 2017, 10:01:41 pm »
Thanks for keeping us up to date Tom, hopefully those issues can be addressed.

Just in case, is this game the hardest Snes game to translate?, I mean, apparently is much harder than the other Snes games like "Mystic Ark" which was a pain in the ass to translate. Apart from the compressed graphic of this game which is already pretty hard to hack/crack or whatever is the rest of the game harder or more trickier to translate than "Mystic Ark"?