News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Tengai Makyou Zero translation project  (Read 266668 times)

DougRPG

• View Profile
Re: Tengai Makyou Zero translation project
« Reply #580 on: August 28, 2017, 06:30:30 pm »
Bsnes/Higan is compatible with the game without any changes. It has a manifest scheme, so it's compatible with any mapping. You just need the correct manifest. I think Tom will release the game with the manifest in xml (for old bsnes versions) and bml (for new Higan versions) formats.

For other emulators the main problem is to compile the emulators. If you can compile then you just need to change/add a few lines.

I did it for Snes9x 1.54 so I can put this version in a github or something like that.

For Zsnes I looked for a way to compile but it uses old tools and libs, so it needs more work.

If someone knows how to compile other emulators please let me know, so I can compile them myself or give the instructions about what to do.

But like I said in other messages you just need to an extra megabyte at 0x400000-0x4fffff for the SPC7110 mapping, with the rom offset being 0x100000 inside the rom (the translation is adding an extra megabyte at 0x100000-0x1fffff).

LynxxLancer

• View Profile
« Reply #581 on: August 29, 2017, 02:18:45 am »
Hey DougRPG,

I have an original Tengai Makyou Zero cartridge. Is it possible to replace chips and play the game?

Freestate

• View Profile
« Reply #582 on: August 29, 2017, 09:17:55 am »
if it's working on bsnes why i can't run it on retroarch with bsnes cores? What i'm missing?

DougRPG

• View Profile
« Reply #583 on: August 30, 2017, 07:24:56 am »
if it's working on bsnes why i can't run it on retroarch with bsnes cores? What i'm missing?

Are you a betatester? Do you have the manifest for the game?

I have an original Tengai Makyou Zero cartridge. Is it possible to replace chips and play the game?

The game is expanded, so I think it's not a trivial thing to do. But the game is compatible with the hardware and using a valid mapping scheme.

niuus

• View Profile
« Reply #584 on: August 30, 2017, 11:46:47 am »

The game is expanded, so I think it's not a trivial thing to do. But the game is compatible with the hardware and using a valid mapping scheme.
Hi DougRPG. Sent you a PM regarding a recompile.

werewolfslayr925

• View Profile
« Reply #585 on: August 30, 2017, 02:21:36 pm »
Thank you, Tom, DougRPG, and everyone else who's putting so much hard work into this game! I just bought a cart of the game to work on dumping it, and I'm jumping on the hype train here.

Would it be possible to get the patched game to run on an SNES9x emulator on PSP? Or is this a PC-emulator-only affair?
As the harbor is welcome to the sailor, so is the last line to the scribe.

- complaint in the margin of a medieval manuscript

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: August 30, 2017, 03:03:59 pm »
Oh, right.
You are that person who likes to personally dump their ROMs themself.
That may not be easily doable with TMZ.
See, the game is technically 2 ROMs. One is a 1MB ROM with the SNES program, and the other is a 4MB graphics ROM for the SPC7110 chip. I can't remember what happens if you try to dump with a typical dumper, but my guess is you get the former and maybe some part of the latter (as I read some part of the SPC7110 ROM gets mapped to the SNES CPU, but not all as it uses a memory mapper). To properly dump it, from what I understand would require a custom dumper able to load code into the SNES to take control of the mapper and then spit it out.
(it's the same reason as, from what I read, Mega Man X2 cannot be dumped easily but X3 can. X2 is split on two ROMs and one is disabled and it requires being able to control the Cx4 to turn it on before it can be read.)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

werewolfslayr925

• View Profile
« Reply #587 on: August 30, 2017, 05:09:45 pm »
Yeah, I'm that guy. For the more difficult stuff, though, I can dump what I'm able to and repair the dump by comparing hex codes. I'm considering developing my own Arduino dumpers for stuff like this, though. I've dumped X2 before, but I'll have to check and make sure the dump is clean. Is it taboo to want to dump my own ROMs? It seems to be frowned upon in this community.

niuus

• View Profile
« Reply #588 on: August 31, 2017, 03:52:33 pm »
Would it be possible to get the patched game to run on an SNES9x emulator on PSP? Or is this a PC-emulator-only affair?
You would only need to make the necessary changes in the source, re-compile the emulator binary, load and play. We are waiting for DougRPG to release the method. I'll post one for use on the Wii when this happens.

Pickle

• View Profile
« Reply #589 on: August 31, 2017, 06:49:41 pm »
Thank you, Tom, DougRPG, and everyone else who's putting so much hard work into this game! I just bought a cart of the game to work on dumping it, and I'm jumping on the hype train here.

Ive dumped the game with my arduino cart dumper

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=158974.0

dejan07

• View Profile
« Reply #590 on: September 02, 2017, 01:27:04 am »
I can't even boot up to the menu in japanese  version. What the hell?

werewolfslayr925

• View Profile
« Reply #591 on: September 02, 2017, 01:38:57 am »
Ive dumped the game with my arduino cart dumper

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=158974.0

Thanks, Pickle! This topic actually inspired me to start working on an Arduino dumper. I'm in the process of acquiring all the parts. Thanks for the tip, though :3

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #592 on: September 02, 2017, 01:45:12 am »
Yeah, I'm that guy. For the more difficult stuff, though, I can dump what I'm able to and repair the dump by comparing hex codes. I'm considering developing my own Arduino dumpers for stuff like this, though. I've dumped X2 before, but I'll have to check and make sure the dump is clean. Is it taboo to want to dump my own ROMs? It seems to be frowned upon in this community.

It spits in the face of the very foundation of the emulation scene. Namely the open secret and expectation that everyone pirates, disguised under the euphemism of "backups".

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: September 02, 2017, 02:47:55 am »
I can't even boot up to the menu in japanese  version. What the hell?

The first two times you boot the game, it does a check to initialize the SRAM and/or RTC.
On the first boot, hit A and reset. The second time, hit B and then reset. After that the game should run normally.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Freestate

• View Profile
« Reply #594 on: September 02, 2017, 07:26:06 am »

I have it, i've tried with all retroarch snes cores, don't work.

Rick74

• View Profile
« Reply #595 on: September 02, 2017, 12:17:16 pm »
I have it, i've tried with all retroarch snes cores, don't work.

I was able to get Tengai Makyou Zero to work using BSNES in Retroarch this way

Get the game running in Higan, then copy rtc.ram and data.rom from higan's ROM folder into RetroArch's system folder. Watch out for conflicts with other SPC7110-based games

https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/406

chicco30

• View Profile
« Reply #596 on: September 02, 2017, 03:12:34 pm »

Get the game running in Higan, then copy rtc.ram and data.rom from higan's ROM folder into RetroArch's system folder. Watch out for conflicts with other SPC7110-based games

Is this method work with Retroarch's SNES9X 2010 emulator core too? Because I have PS3 console only, but I really wanna play this great game.
https://github.com/libretro/snes9x2010

Freestate

• View Profile
« Reply #597 on: September 02, 2017, 03:40:32 pm »

i've tried with higan 0.104 and i don't find rtc.ram an data.rom files. What version of higan are you using and where are stored these two files?

Rick74

• View Profile
« Reply #598 on: September 03, 2017, 12:54:50 am »
i've tried with higan 0.104 and i don't find rtc.ram an data.rom files. What version of higan are you using and where are stored these two files?

Higan .104, same as you.  Here's what I did...

Copy Tengai Makyou Zero rom to desktop. Unzip if your rom is zipped.  Load with Higan. (Now when Tengai Makyou boots for the first time, you have to follow the on screen prompts and first press 'A', the power cycle higan, then follow the onscreen prompts and press 'B' and power cycle higan one last time. The game should now load). Go back to the desktop, and in the extracted Tengai Makyou folder, there should now be a 'Super Famicom' folder. In that folder, you'll find a few files, including the two mentioned above that you'll need to place in RetroArch's 'system' folder.

Freestate

• View Profile
« Reply #599 on: September 03, 2017, 07:36:08 am »
not working. i've put these two files from higan and i have the manifest.xml on the same sfc folder. i;ve tried with all snes retroarch cores. What version of retroarch and what snes coreare you using?