I will admit that I've never played a patched ROM on a DS, but it is impossible for my computer to emulate PS2 and GC games appropriately enough, and don't get me started on PC-Engine CD emulation, whereas it is a lot easier to emulate a DS game.
I'm not sure what the problem is that you're having with getting PC Engine CD games to run.
The resource requirements on your PC should be less than a DS (just one 7MHz 6502-variant, vs two ARM processors at 33MHz and 66MHz).
Some time ago emulators required that you use a physical CD, which *was* a total PITA, but these days, you can just use a .cue/.bin image of a CD and have it run perfectly.
The process is pretty simple ...
1) Download Mednafen (the most-accurate PCE emulator)
2) Download a copy of the Super System Card (preferably the Japanese version), and put it in the Mednafen/firmware directory as SYSCARD3.PCE
3) Download a PCE game in .cue/.bin format, of use NightWolve's TurboRIP to create an image from your own CD copy of the game.
4) Drag-n-drop the .cue file on the Mednafen .exe (executable).
It should fire straight up.
Mednafen's debugger is pretty-awesome for hacking.
Elmer, what's this about Esperknight being too busy to work on games anymore? He's the one I was doing Ziria with! And he still has my Devil Children: Ice Book translation, too! :O
I'm just judging by a bunch of emails that I traded with him back in early-to-mid 2015 when I took over the Zeroigar project, and then the Legend of Xanadu project, both of which were stalled.
It sounded like he was *very* busy at work at the time.
I also hacked a VWF font into Team Innocent for him, since that was supposed to be the last roadblock on TI, which was apparently 100% translated and insertable (but with display overruns), and fixed a lip-sync problem with the English text, too ... and then nothing has happened on that project in the year-plus since that was sent to him.
Perhaps he's just been busy with other translation projects, but I suspect that he may have got caught up in work, family, and "real-life" (tm).
I'd better contact him this weekend.
That might be a good idea.
I also didn't know that there were PC Engine technical limitations that absolutely prevented subtitles from being added.
It may well be *possible*, it entirely depends upon what the developers are doing in the game.
But it's not *likely*.
With only 1 VDP layer, we don't have the luxury of just enabling an unused layer for the subtitles, and it's not a bitmapped screen like the PSP/PS1/etc where you just need to render some extra text to the screen buffer.
If that's the case, I would recommend adding the uncensored rom to the PSP collection, and then maybe finding out if there's a way to provide subtitles through the PSP's additional capabilities. I'm sure the PSP can get around the PC Engine's limitations.
It depends on how the PSP subtitles are implemented, and having someone hack that system.
Or, since you're presumably running on a hacked PSP anyway, you could just use the subtitling system that's built into Mednafen (precisely for this purpose), and have your game run on any hacked console or R-Pi hardware that can run Mednafen (or RetroArch presumably).
It's trivial to get Mednafen to support extra CD RAM, too, which would also make the hacking easier.
It just depends whether you want to run on original hardware, or not.
I can emulate PC Engine (Admittedly, it was a pain...) I can emulate the PSP... And I can run patched ISOs.
Well, hopefully you'll find the current-state of PCE CD emulation much easier to use these days.
My 8-year-old PC doesn't have a problem with it!