News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Tengai Makyou Zero translation project  (Read 156969 times)

moltke

• View Profile
Re: Tengai Makyou Zero translation project
« Reply #1140 on: January 20, 2018, 12:36:38 pm »
   Having troubles that I see similar instances but can't seem to find a fix. Specifically I'm trying to run this game on my Retropie (Pi 3) machine with Retroarch. I also grabbed the snes9x additional core as some hinted it might be better than the standard 2005 and 2010 cores already in Retroarch. Those all run Tales of Ph, Terranigma, and other more difficult roms with no problems but I can't get the patched Tengai Makyou Zero to run. Just get black screen. I'm pretty sure I have used the original Tengai Makyou Zero rom not the "Shonen Jump no Sho" but is this what I would see if my rom isn't correct? Any other thoughts for someone trying to run this through a Retropie?

Edit: Resolved by not trying to use the stand alone snes9x core you can grab. The only one that has been updated and runs the rom is specifically the lr-snes9x optional package. Runs like a champ perfectly. So happy to be able to play this one! Thanks for all the hard work. Now if only someone could conquer Treasure Conflix and I think my SNES heaven would be a reality!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 10:24:11 am by moltke »

Nate00

• View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: February 05, 2018, 12:38:42 am »
Amazing, translation. I'm at the end of the game and absolutely loved it. It's such a shame that this series does not get some sort of collection release in the west. I would love to play the Saturn version, which I might just do anyway in japanese. I can't get enough of this series now.

Thanks again!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: February 05, 2018, 11:35:26 pm »
Glad you liked it. Unfortunately, the series has little chance of a western release now, since Konami owns the IP.

Sblaise84

• View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: February 07, 2018, 10:57:55 am »
Has anyone gotten this to work in Android? I can get it to play on Retroarch with the Snes9x core, but Retroarch is not very user friendly and I would much prefer a different emulator. I tried Snes9x ex+ from the market but all I get is a black screen. Same with SuperRetro16 and any others I could find.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: February 07, 2018, 11:24:43 pm »
Has anyone gotten this to work in Android? I can get it to play on Retroarch with the Snes9x core, but Retroarch is not very user friendly and I would much prefer a different emulator. I tried Snes9x ex+ from the market but all I get is a black screen. Same with SuperRetro16 and any others I could find.
EX+ Hasn't been updated in a good while, don't attempt it.  The only ones on mobile right now that can play this are on RetroArch, as I'm pretty darn sure that everything else on the market is based on an older build for speed reasons while RA goes straight from the Libretro buildbots.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 11:36:10 pm by Chronosplit »

tSRDazz

• View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: February 12, 2018, 11:54:15 am »
It's a blessing and a curse to delve into esoterica, especially if there may be a Region Locked episode, sometime in the future, going over the series.
Dazz here from Region Locked. I'm loving this project, and will definitely consider writing an episode up about it. I've always just felt like the character designs stand out too much for me to ignore it; even had a copy of it turn up at my old job 6 or 7 years ago and had to buy it.

Once my time has opened up a bit, I'm looking forward to delving in deep!

Made in China

• View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: February 12, 2018, 03:00:59 pm »
Hey, that's awesome! Thanks for exposing the more mainstream audience to fan translations and obscure games.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: February 19, 2018, 11:27:35 pm »
Tengai Makyou Zero got a version 4 patch.

Fixes a typo and numbers in the hatchery.

Update your roms!  :)

vergil2012

• View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: February 20, 2018, 10:59:28 am »
Thank you so much @Tom and everyone else involved in this. Not only for the translation itself in the first place, but also maintaining it and releasing update patches whenever its ''necessary''.

Thanks again and sorry for my english.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 01:39:28 pm by vergil2012 »
Requesting an undub of Grandia for the PS1:
https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=3282.msg350842#msg350842
Tales of Destiny II (PS1) undub ''request'':
https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=25215.0

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: February 21, 2018, 12:41:21 am »
Glad you appreciate it, vergil2012!

dominic20072007

• View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: February 22, 2018, 09:42:33 pm »
I am having trouble getting this to run on Snes 9x v1.54.1

After patching the "Lunar IPS file" using Lunar IPS utility, (done it hundreds of times with other roms) I get a blank screen upon loading the game... just a black blank screen.

The rom is good because the rom boots up fine and normally when not patched.. here is the rom info

Tengai Makyou Zero (J) [!]  (5,242,880 bytes)

Then once patched WITH the Lunar IPS patch using Lunar IPS utility it becomes (7,340,032 bytes)

Yet when loading the rom with Snes 9x v1.54.1 Checksum says OK yet still just a blank screen.

So I try to patch the Bps file using the Beat utility and I get the exact same Checksum Ok but black blanks screen upon loading.

Is it the emulator or what??

Thanks in advance

Edit, oh nevermind... didn't realize there was a newer version of Snes9x out already... lol silly me.. ok it works with the latest version Snes9x v1.55

Sorry bout that.. Thanks again!!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 10:03:24 pm by dominic20072007 »

barbe_folle

• View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: February 28, 2018, 04:21:48 pm »
Finally put an end to this epic story. That was really a pleasant game to discover.

++ Very high level translation (not a native english speaker but I feel it has been polished)
++ Beautiful graphics with so much details
++ Funny events and depiction of Jipang

+- Somewhat common soundtracks (only one-two tracks memorable in my opinion)
+- Very classical Story Development
Spoiler:
one nation, many hermits to get new scrolls, one boss, next

- Rather short and easy (reached the end level 60 after 30 hours). And contrary to many here, I found the encounter rate pretty usual and somewhat low. Never died.

Overall one of the best Snes games and most importantly a great job from the translation team.

Two questions anyway:
Spoiler:
Still missing the monkey boss in the crab-crab cavern and don't know how to make it appear. And I was wondering if there were something to do with the dragon mark in dragon eyes village

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: March 03, 2018, 08:18:00 pm »
Glad you enjoyed the translation, barbe_folle!

There are several items you need to bring with you in order to get monkey to appear in the Crab-Crab Cavern.

A crab helmet
The mortar armor
A bee blade
A chestnut curio
Shitty shoes

If you bring these five items in, the monkey will appear.

The hardest item to get is the mortar armor.

You have to eat mochi at a mochi stand first, but there are only a handful of festivals that have a mochi stand. You have to go back to the festival area a certain amount of time after the festival is over (having eaten the mochi, of course), and enter the now empty festival area. There should be one guy waiting at the center with the armor at that time.

Since the new year festival's over, the next available time to get mochi is during the flower watching festival at the Peacock Shrine. It runs from April 1st to the 12th. Go there, eat the mochi, and then return later, after the festival is finished, to get the mortar armor. (If you take too long, the guy won't be there.)

The bee blade is one of the prizes for hunting medals in Big Tiger Town. You need to find exactly eight medals to get it. If you need help with any of the other items, let me know. If you're thorough, you should have those already.

P.S.

I've sent in a version five TM Zero revision patch with a small change. It fixes a spelling error that had been left in the credits. I noticed it yesterday, and DDSTranslation fixed it right up!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 12:21:26 am by Tom »

mikeprado30

• View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: March 04, 2018, 03:24:18 pm »
It's very laudable your dedication in search for keep on polishing every single issue in this work, Tom  :thumbsup:

Those are the things that make works to get a true quality.

barbe_folle

• View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: March 06, 2018, 04:24:45 am »
Glad you enjoyed the translation, barbe_folle!

There are several items you need to bring with you in order to get monkey to appear in the Crab-Crab Cavern.

A crab helmet
The mortar armor
A bee blade
A chestnut curio
Shitty shoes

If you bring these five items in, the monkey will appear.

The hardest item to get is the mortar armor.

You have to eat mochi at a mochi stand first, but there are only a handful of festivals that have a mochi stand. You have to go back to the festival area a certain amount of time after the festival is over (having eaten the mochi, of course), and enter the now empty festival area. There should be one guy waiting at the center with the armor at that time.

Since the new year festival's over, the next available time to get mochi is during the flower watching festival at the Peacock Shrine. It runs from April 1st to the 12th. Go there, eat the mochi, and then return later, after the festival is finished, to get the mortar armor. (If you take too long, the guy won't be there.)

The bee blade is one of the prizes for hunting medals in Big Tiger Town. You need to find exactly eight medals to get it. If you need help with any of the other items, let me know. If you're thorough, you should have those already.

P.S.

I've sent in a version five TM Zero revision patch with a small change. It fixes a spelling error that had been left in the credits. I noticed it yesterday, and DDSTranslation fixed it right up!

Mortar armor is the only item missing. No wonder why when I see what I have to do and when. I will try to get it in april.

As for the fifth patch what a perfectionism. That's why I said what you did is so professional.

Once again thanks for all

barbe_folle

• View Profile
« Reply #1155 on: April 19, 2018, 06:18:12 pm »
I finally did it. And reading wikipedia I now understand the whole story and why we had to gather these items.
It's time for final thanks. It was a pleasant experience. :thumbsup:

It seems FlashPV and co will try to translate to French. I may try the game again once it's done. 

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: April 19, 2018, 06:33:34 pm »
I'm glad you had fun, that you researched the story, and that you'll get to experience it all again in French next time!

deubeul

• View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: May 01, 2018, 09:32:10 am »
Just finished the game 5 minutes ago, after having finally found enough free time to play it.

Tom and the team, in two words:

THANK YOU!

You made this old dream to play a "real" Tengai Makyou in english possible, for that, I' will always remember you guys.

The game itself, your work on it, everything was awesome.

Did I less enjoyed it than I would have 20 years ago?
Dont think so, having in mind that I shouldn't have been able to enjoy it at all  (if it wasn't for your dedication).

I really hope you will be able to achieve your project of translating the entire series.

Ziria, Maru, Kabuki and Raizin are waiting for us! :)

Once again, big, big thank yous!

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: May 05, 2018, 03:24:03 am »
I'm glad you liked it, deubeul. I've just recently updated the patch as well, so be sure to check that out, if you ever hope to play it again in the future.

"Ziria, Maru, Kabuki and Raizin are waiting for us! :)"

Poor Namida! Nobody loves him! Ha ha!

I think I'll work on Ziria with EsperKnight after we finish up Haruhi Suzumiya and Devil Children Ice Book, which are both fully translated. Haruhi is just about ready for release in terms of both the hacking and the script. It's up to the testers now.

Lentfilms

• View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: May 05, 2018, 12:34:28 pm »
"Ziria, Maru, Kabuki and Raizin are waiting for us! :)"

Poor Namida! Nobody loves him! Ha ha!

Speaking of Namida, what is your opinion on Tengai Makyou III: Namida? I always got the impression that it was considered the black sheep of the series but how would you personally rank it with the rest of the games in the franchise? Just curious to know.