News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Tengai Makyou Zero translation project  (Read 103031 times)

Melchior

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Sage of Life
    • View Profile
    • Baron Engineer Nation
Re: Tengai Makyou Zero translation project
« Reply #1040 on: November 02, 2017, 11:06:52 pm »
RPG Maker SFC
LOL O_O seriously? they actually made a version of RPG Maker that far back??
I had a copy of it for PS1... O_O

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: November 02, 2017, 11:57:42 pm »

There's even a version for the first gameboy, if I'm not mistaken.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: November 03, 2017, 02:09:14 am »
Although the franchise is even older than that ("Dante" on MSX, I think. Hence why the SFC game was subtitled "Super Dante"), the PS1 game was actually RPG Maker 3 (and there was a 4 on PS1 as well).
As you may guess, the 2 PS2 RPG Makers that got localized were not originally numbered 2 and 3 in Japan. I don't know if Japan kept numbering them or if they started coming up with new names. I think all the Nintendo portables (or at least starting with GBC) got ports as well, but as well only the 3DS version got a western release.

I'd like to at some point due the second SFC game as well, because it was one of the first console games I played with in emulation. Hoping the game would be similar enough to expedite the process. (though a large chunk of time spent on RPGM1 has been tediously identifying multiple pieces of data needing to be modified FOR EACH of the MANY windows)
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: November 03, 2017, 03:36:21 am »
I can understand that. I spent WAY too long trying to fix an original game menu bug in RPG Maker SFC, got close but after stuff just kept going wrong and realizing was spending far too much time on it I eventually decided to say FORGET IT on fixing it and settled for just an anti-freezing measure.

It's not that the game was "bugged," it's just that every multiple choice option is actually formatted as an entire single window of text, so I had to space them out precisely, manually, to fit within the "highlight" squares without being off-kilter.

It was a matter of translating, spacing, and then inserting the script, adding and removing spaces here and there, reinserting, testing again... A lot of tinkering with how many spaces appeared between words was needed to get everything set where it was supposed to be.

I had to do this separately for each multiple choice option prompt in the game.

juef

• View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: November 04, 2017, 04:21:25 pm »
Not sure if it has been reported, but just in case: in page 41 of the manual, in the CLOCK section:

1.) On the clock sreen

Melchior

• Sage of Life
    • View Profile
    • Baron Engineer Nation
« Reply #1045 on: November 04, 2017, 05:31:52 pm »
Not sure if it has been reported, but just in case: in page 41 of the manual, in the CLOCK section:

lol
10 points from Gryffindor.. ;) :P lol ;)

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: November 04, 2017, 11:24:43 pm »

Thank you so much for reporting this! Nobody else reported it!

Cargodin's on a vacation right now, but I'll let her know when she gets back, and it'll get fixed ASAP.

Jones

• View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: November 06, 2017, 10:43:09 am »
Hello! Thank you once again for the translation,guys! It's been amazing being able to play this game in English after all those years.I've found some typos in some of the dialogues on the Crane Nation,took a few screenshots that i'm gonna post after reorganizing my files.I know this is just a discussion board for the translation project but there's something in the game i'd like to ask: is there a way to learn how to get the paradise butterfly in-game? i mean,is there any hint in NPCs dialogue or something like that with clues on how to get that elusive creature? i'd really like to know

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #1048 on: November 06, 2017, 11:25:50 am »
Got in some more time and noticed a few more things, so here's the new batch:

#1:
That comma in the second sentence makes it seem like the "whatever..." were an interjection, when it's actually the object of the sentence, just with an inverted word order. I'd remove that comma, but the choice is of course yours. I hesitated to report this, since some of the commas in the script were put there for a natural flow and don't bother me. But his one kinda throws me off, to be honest.

#2, #3:
I assume this was split this way because the second window couldn't be removed, so the text had to span both? If so, it would look arguably a bit better if the split was after "Heavens".

#4:
Another one of those instantly disappearing messages. Feel free to ignore or try inserting another pause tag if you wish.

#5:
This should probably read "souvenirs", unless this is for stylistic reasons.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 12:08:16 pm by mziab »

xZabuzax

• View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: November 07, 2017, 01:16:21 am »
Haven't found any other typos so far so the translation is like 99% perfect.

I'm almost at the end, I took my sweet time exploring the maps. There's an extremely abusive weapon that will make your party almost untouchable without spending techinque as long as they are fast enough, it is the:

Spoiler:
"Red Dragon Sword" with the sear effect.

Damn that weapon is extremely OP, you just need to use that weapon as an item with your 3 characters and everything will die in seconds, no wonder that weapon was expensive.

Melchior

• Sage of Life
    • View Profile
    • Baron Engineer Nation
« Reply #1050 on: November 07, 2017, 02:31:19 am »
Haven't found any other typos so far so the translation is like 99% perfect.

I'm almost at the end, I took my sweet time exploring the maps. There's an extremely abusive weapon that will make your party almost untouchable without spending techinque as long as they are fast enough, it is the:

Spoiler:
"Red Dragon Sword" with the sear effect.

Damn that weapon is extremely OP, you just need to use that weapon as an item with your 3 characters and everything will die in seconds, no wonder that weapon was expensive.
How EXPENSIVE?! and where can I BUY IT? ie PM me lol ;)

xZabuzax

• View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: November 07, 2017, 03:00:48 am »
How EXPENSIVE?! and where can I BUY IT? ie PM me lol ;)

Is in:

Spoiler:
The Crane Nation in Crane Shrine, you must defeat the boss first for the weapon armory to open, it's located in the botton left inside Crane Shrine. It cost 228,000. The weapon is worth it.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: November 07, 2017, 09:20:07 am »
I know this is just a discussion board for the translation project but there's something in the game i'd like to ask: is there a way to learn how to get the paradise butterfly in-game? i mean,is there any hint in NPCs dialogue or something like that with clues on how to get that elusive creature? i'd really like to know

The "Paradise Butterfly" you mentioned is called the "Wonderfly" in this translation, and there is an NPC that tells you how to get it, but most people will miss that text.

There is a hermit called the Buddhist Hermit in the Valley of Stone. If you bring him a Buddhist Manju, he'll tell you different things at different points in the game. At one point, he'll mention how to raise a Wonderfly. If you don't go back to visit him regularly, you'll probably miss it, and if you miss it, he'll never talk about it again.

November 07, 2017, 10:06:33 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I'd remove that comma, but the choice is of course yours.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'll leave this one as-is. It doesn't sound like an interjection to me. In my opinion, it just works better (and is easier to read out loud) with a comma and a pause.

I assume this was split this way because the second window couldn't be removed, so the text had to span both? If so, it would look arguably a bit better if the split was after "Heavens".

No. This issue was caused because I changed the position of a newline tag, but forgot to remove the newline instance that followed it, which pushed the last part to the next window. All I had to do to fix this was just delete the newline tag that I had unintentionally left behind between known and as.

Another one of those instantly disappearing messages. Feel free to ignore or try inserting another pause tag if you wish.

Done and done!

#5:
This should probably read "souvenirs", unless this is for stylistic reasons.

That was just a typo. Fun fact: The word souvenir appears the game's script in 21 times, and I managed to misspell it as "souvenier" two of those times. Both of the mistaken instances have been fixed! Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 10:10:14 am by Tom »

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: November 07, 2017, 04:25:12 pm »
The "Paradise Butterfly" you mentioned is called the "Wonderfly" in this translation, and there is an NPC that tells you how to get it, but most people will miss that text.

There is a hermit called the Buddhist Hermit in the Valley of Stone. If you bring him a Buddhist Manju, he'll tell you different things at different points in the game. At one point, he'll mention how to raise a Wonderfly. If you don't go back to visit him regularly, you'll probably miss it, and if you miss it, he'll never talk about it again.

I did a screen capture of that dialogue (the one in which the hermit tells you which kibble you need and in which order you have to feed the larva), but I forgot to screen grab when he tells about how many hours you have to let the larva sleep.

Well, "shikata ga nai" XDDD I usually don't pay much attention to these kind of mini-games in rpgs, so...

xZabuzax

• View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: November 07, 2017, 07:56:21 pm »

Oh crap, I'm one of those peoples that missed it then, I did visit him a few times but it got old pretty fast so I stopped going. I know you don't like to spoil things Tom but may you please be kind enough to provide the info on how to get it?

I did a screen capture of that dialogue (the one in which the hermit tells you which kibble you need and in which order you have to feed the larva), but I forgot to screen grab when he tells about how many hours you have to let the larva sleep.

Well, "shikata ga nai" XDDD I usually don't pay much attention to these kind of mini-games in rpgs, so...

If you happen to find the info on how to get it may you please let us know or send me a pm about it?

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: November 07, 2017, 08:09:10 pm »
If you happen to find the info on how to get it may you please let us know or send me a pm about it?

Here's the part in which the hermit tells you which kibbles you have to use:

Spoiler:

But I'm not sure about the time. I recall the hermit saying something about 50 hours, but I opened it after 50 hours and 30 minutes and got a kabuki fly instead. I tried again but I forgot about it and the larva rooted (it seems the limit is 60 hours).

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: November 07, 2017, 08:13:01 pm »
Weird thing is that the some of the Shounen Jump building rooms exist, unused, in the original ROM. But yes, they removed some graphics, text, and even event code (mainly from the debug rooms rather than the replaced event) to make room for it. There's an NPC that appears at some times too.

I don't think you're missing on much of note.
Tomato's special Snes9X version which overlaid translated text onscreen without modifying the ROM could work in this case more than redoing the translation hacking just for a less popular alternate version that's not trivial to romhack (same with Ys V Expert, and Popful Mail).

You know it's weird, but tonight I thought of a idea if it was possible to have a program overlay a translation WITHOUT having to hack into the game to just translate the damn thing.

Is Tomato's special Snes9X public or a private version?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 08:20:14 pm by Kallisto »

xZabuzax

• View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: November 07, 2017, 08:27:31 pm »

Spoiler:

But I'm not sure about the time. I recall the hermit saying something about 50 hours, but I opened it after 50 hours and 30 minutes and got a kabuki fly instead. I tried again but I forgot about it and the larva rooted (it seems the limit is 60 hours).

Thanks, at least that's a start. 60 hours is indeed the time limit and the larva will rot so it must be between 45-59 hours.

I will experiment with the hours using save states to get that darn Wonderfly, I will leave a save state close to the egg to keep track on it, the real time clock won't change with save states so is safe to use.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: November 07, 2017, 11:49:13 pm »

You know it's weird, but tonight I thought of a idea if it was possible to have a program overlay a translation WITHOUT having to hack into the game to just translate the damn thing.

Is Tomato's special Snes9X public or a private version?

I don't know if Tomato has yet publicly released it but I do believe he intends to at some point.
He originally created it to help with making his localization comparison streams (such as Super Mario RPG). Earlier he was using an external program he wrote which was glitchy and prone to crashing. (such as when he played Breath of Fire II and A Link to the Past)
(he wrote it with the intent of playing an English game and getting the Japanese script simultaneously displayed in another window, though he demoed other ways it could be used, like he played Super Mario All-Stars (er, Collection) and wrote a script that would give him extra lives whenever he got subscribers probably to demo his work as well as do a localization comparison, as he perhaps needed a bit of help, with his Mario skills. :) )
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 11:59:52 pm by KingMike »
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

xZabuzax

• View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: November 08, 2017, 01:50:26 am »

Spoiler:

So I used a virtual machine (VirtualBox) to experiment with the hours to trick the clock system and it is actually 40 to 49 hours that allows you to get the Wonderfly. 39 hours and below doesn't work, 50 hours and above doesn't work either, it is 40 to 49 hours.