News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [Release] SNES & NES "Wanderbar" sidebar + plugin system  (Read 1534 times)

Tomato

• View Profile
    • Legends of Localization
[Release] SNES & NES "Wanderbar" sidebar + plugin system
« on: October 15, 2018, 05:12:25 pm »
A while back I took Snes9X and a web browser and glued them together to to create a thing I called the "Wanderbar". Then I did the same with an NES emulator. These were originally just for my personal projects, but they wound up kind of popular and they have a bunch of cool potential uses, so I released them to the public:

Download (and source code) page: http://tomato.fobby.net/wanderbar/
Project details + description of all 11 plugins https://legendsoflocalization.com/wanderbar/

Example screenshots:

https://legendsoflocalization.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/wanderbar.jpg

It's basically a glorified Lua script thingy, but the fact that everything is displayed via HTML means you can also use HTML5, CSS3, Javascripts, external APIs, local storage, etc. with ease. I haven't written up documentation on how the plugins work, but I've already seen an EarthBound script comparison plugin and a Zelda 2 automap plugin doing their thing:

Anyway, I thought I'd share this stuff on RHDN in case anyone wants to play around with it or improve upon it or whatever else. It's definitely been a lot of fun to work on and opens up all kinds of neat project opportunities.

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
Re: [Release] SNES & NES "Wanderbar" sidebar + plugin system
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 06:35:11 pm »
Cool

andrewclunn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 08:56:08 am »
I'm interested to see if that Zelda 2 automapper works with rom randomizers.

Choppasmith

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 04:05:14 pm »
Fascinating stuff. The potential for this is really exciting! I, for one, would love to finally give FFVI-T a go that way!

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 05:15:47 pm »
A while back I took Snes9X and a web browser and glued them together to to create a thing I called the "Wanderbar". Then I did the same with an NES emulator. These were originally just for my personal projects, but they wound up kind of popular and they have a bunch of cool potential uses, so I released them to the public:

Download (and source code) page: http://tomato.fobby.net/wanderbar/
Project details + description of all 11 plugins https://legendsoflocalization.com/wanderbar/

[...]

It's basically a glorified Lua script thingy, but the fact that everything is displayed via HTML means you can also use HTML5, CSS3, Javascripts, external APIs, local storage, etc. with ease. I haven't written up documentation on how the plugins work, but I've already seen an EarthBound script comparison plugin and a Zelda 2 automap plugin doing their thing:

[...]

Anyway, I thought I'd share this stuff on RHDN in case anyone wants to play around with it or improve upon it or whatever else. It's definitely been a lot of fun to work on and opens up all kinds of neat project opportunities.

Great stuff! I'm assuming this is Windows-only? I've been meaning to try my hand at a much cruder version of this to aid me in my learning of Japanese, but I'd rather it be something native for Linux. Speaking of, what kind of API did you use to make those nice hovers with word definitions for the FF6 stream? I haven't looked at the code yet, but this would be very useful for educational purposes.

Tomato

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 05:52:20 pm »
I'm interested to see if that Zelda 2 automapper works with rom randomizers.

Yep, it does!

Great stuff! I'm assuming this is Windows-only? I've been meaning to try my hand at a much cruder version of this to aid me in my learning of Japanese, but I'd rather it be something native for Linux. Speaking of, what kind of API did you use to make those nice hovers with word definitions for the FF6 stream? I haven't looked at the code yet, but this would be very useful for educational purposes.

Yeah, it's currently Windows only - I cover that bit briefly on the pages in the first post. Everything in the sidebar is handled as HTML, so literally *any* sort of Javascript or browser plugin can be used with it. In this case, it's a modified version of the rikai-kun/rikai-chan Japanese-to-English dictionary browser plugin.

Someone on Twitter was looking into trying to port this stuff to Linux but I don't know anything beyond that. I'm a terrible programmer when it comes to Windows and this sort of thing so all of that is beyond my skill.

Orochi Kusanagi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 05:58:57 pm »
This is one cool and creative idea!

Marth776

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 02:44:56 am »
I'm usually a lurker on on this forum, but I would really like to express my gratitude for this project and its grand scale. At the very least, I will finally be able to play Final Fantasy VI T-Edition in a way that doesn't get me killed around every corner :)

Just two questions, though. Is it normal that the item/magic names aso. just appear when I use them in battle but not when hovering over them? Also, you mention the following on your page:

"An even older emulator RAM watcher displaying Final Fantasy VI T-Edition enemy info and name translations"

Do you still have this RAM viewer so it can be used for playing T-Edition or would it be too hard to make it work well?

azoreseuropa

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 09:29:33 am »
Interesting.

I wonder about Rockman & Forte, Rockman 7, and Rockman X1-3 able to translate in English?

Tomato

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 02:01:56 am »
Just two questions, though. Is it normal that the item/magic names aso. just appear when I use them in battle but not when hovering over them? Also, you mention the following on your page:

Yeah, the T-Edition plugin is very, very bare-bones and is nowhere as complete as my other FF6 plugin. The in-battle item/spell message box was the last thing I did before I set it all aside. I imagine it wouldn't be *too* hard to convert some of my main FF6 plugin code to work with T-Edition, but I don't have the time to do it myself unfortunately.

"An even older emulator RAM watcher displaying Final Fantasy VI T-Edition enemy info and name translations"

Do you still have this RAM viewer so it can be used for playing T-Edition or would it be too hard to make it work well?

I never released it, it only worked with one specific version of Snes9X on one specific computer of mine using a specific, really outdated version of the T-Edition patch.