News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Metrandomizer: Metroid 1 Map Randomizer  (Read 373 times)

• View Profile
Metrandomizer: Metroid 1 Map Randomizer
« on: March 04, 2018, 05:42:12 pm »

I was really impressed by the Zelda 1 Randomizer procedurally generating entire dungeons, so I thought I'd try to make a utility that does the same for the original Metroid. Here's what I came up with.

On one hand, it's "finished". It generates an entirely new layout from Brinstar to Tourian and every area in between. All the powerups should be placed before any obstacles that would make the game unwinnable. There are even some optional extras like palette randomization, letting Samus move immediately after collecting a powerup, and a smaller HUD to (hopefully) reduce lag. You can increase damage received/energy recovered to hopefully reduce enemy grinding and also make the game more challenging.

On the other hand, it's extremely far from complete. Area placement is dumb as a box of hammers. Many screen layouts never show up because the utility isn't smart enough to use them without potentially making the game unwinnable. Unplayable seeds probably exist and the whole thing needs a lot more testing, more than I can give it.

I've never made something like this before and I could really use some feedback. Tell me which problems to prioritize and which ones I missed. I also want to know if there's even any interest in a Metroid map randomizer, or if all the love goes to Super Metroid with its fancy speed strats. Tell me what you think.

v01b - fixed a chance Kraid's boss room might not spawn
v01 - fixed a potential pillar blocking your way in Ridley, slightly improved room variation
v00 - initial release

« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 06:02:16 pm by Hex4F »