News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Chrono Trigger MSU-1 (with FMV's)  (Read 20318 times)

magno

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
Re: Chrono Trigger MSU-1 (with FMV's)
« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2017, 01:40:48 am »
Thanks to all for the effort! I'm looking forward to re-playing Chrono Trigger for the 15th time :D

BTW, is the source code for the MSU patch available?

qwertymodo

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 24, 2017, 02:57:35 am »
Is it possible to download another msu version of this video without the annoying "BETA" word? X-D

Sure, once it's out of beta  ::)

And the source code isn't currently available, no.  Eventually, it might be, we'll see.

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #82 on: January 25, 2017, 01:37:23 am »
And the source code isn't currently available, no.  Eventually, it might be, we'll see.

That would be great :D

qwertymodo

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2017, 09:57:51 pm »

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2017, 03:24:19 am »
...Am I downloading this? Wait huh?

You uh...this is a download link. I am downloading a Full Lossless Audio Copy of your especially created Chrono Trigger soundtrack.

My regards to Yasunori Mitsuda and his assistant, Nobuo Uematsu :D I wonder how it's going to sound, my slow ass internet will be downloading this for half an hour hehehe

qwertymodo

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 01, 2017, 04:02:02 am »
Well, if you just want to listen to it in the mean time, it's up on Bandcamp: https://dracula9antichapel.bandcamp.com/album/chrono-trigger-arranged-soundtrack

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 01, 2017, 04:04:36 am »
By the time you posted, it was finished downloading, but I had forgotten about it because Girlfriend in a time zone 7 hours away (don't judge me)

Now, to give it a listen...

edit: erm, .pcm format...You said it was flac, is that more of a general term?

What do I use to play this? Can I convert them to .MP3 files just for playing locally on my comp? I'll try that first I guess...

xadox

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 01, 2017, 04:13:56 am »
Hmm... I am a little bit confused. Is the MSU version using the Chrono Trigger Symphony by Blake Robinson or the Version by Dracula9AntiChapel?

qwertymodo

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2017, 04:17:23 am »
Hmm... I am a little bit confused. Is the MSU version using the Chrono Trigger Symphony by Blake Robinson or the Version by Dracula9AntiChapel?

From the top post:

this patch supports ANY music files that you wish to provide

take your pick.

edit: erm, .pcm format...You said it was flac, is that more of a general term?

What do I use to play this? Can I convert them to .MP3 files just for playing locally on my comp? I'll try that first I guess...

They're for the MSU-1 hack, you play them in an SNES emulator by playing the game.  If you just wanted the original FLAC files, grab those from the Bandcamp link I posted.  Sorry if I confused you, when I said the FLACs were done, I meant I was done converting them to .pcm for use with this hack.

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2017, 04:18:52 am »
Erm

You are selling this?

I uh...why can you do that?

qwertymodo

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2017, 04:20:59 am »
Erm

You are selling this?

I uh...why can you do that?

...I am?  News to me...   ::)

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 01, 2017, 04:22:59 am »
...I am?

Whoever's got them up on Bandcamp is doing so? Normally, if you want to sell a cover version of someone else's song, you have to have some kind of agreement with them, they're the legal license holder for their music.

I wonder if it belongs legally to Yasunori Mitsuda/Nobuo Uematsu, or if their contracts stipulate that Square-Enix retains the copyright? Whoever is selling that soundtrack on bandcamp is fully vulnerable to a C&D if they have not cleared these covers with SE's legal.

qwertymodo

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2017, 04:26:51 am »
That's not my Bandcamp, I'm pretty sure he put them up for free download.  Blake Robinson, on the other hand, I know definitely has his stuff properly licensed for sale.

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 01, 2017, 04:30:19 am »
Hm

I wonder if this (and to be honest I've said this about emulation and romhacking in general for years) is roughly analogous to the idea that tape recorders would ruin the radio business (that took the internet, though), or that VHS recorders would ruin the movie business (all that took was Star Wars, lol).

They used to call taping songs off the radio "piracy" too...but it's only piracy if you sell the songs you taped off the radio...

Whoever "AntiDracula" or whatever is, they ought to try harder to cover their butts...

So, in general, this soundtrack simply needs to be combined in a folder with a Chrono Trigger rom that bears the same filename as all the tracks do?

File nomenclature? Apologies if this is on the first post of the thread....I'm kind of out of it right now.

qwertymodo

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 01, 2017, 04:44:13 am »
I've been really lazy about documentation thus far... sorry.  Probably the easiest option is Snes9x, but for that you'll need to find my MSU-1 enabled build here in the forums.  Using that, you need the audio file pack, the video file from the first post, and the one additional audio track to go with it.  Patch your ROM using the .bps patch in the first post (use Floating IPS or beat, both available in the utilities section), and rename all of the files to match, i.e. chrono_msu.sfc, chrono_msu.msu, chrono_msu-#.pcm, then just put them all in the same folder and load your game.  This is the same naming scheme as the SD2SNES if you happen to have one.  The other options are bsnes and higan, but they both require manifests and I really don't feel like dealing with those until I'm closer to a release.  Well... higan doesn't actually require a manifest if you want to rename all of the files, in which case it's program.rom, msu1.rom, and track-#.pcm, all inside <LibraryDir>\Super Famicom\Any_folder_name_ending_with.sfc\  (e.g. \chrono_msu.sfc\)

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 01, 2017, 05:06:26 am »
Probably the easiest option is Snes9x, but for that you'll need to find my MSU-1 enabled build here in the forums.

There is an MSU-1 enabled build of Snes9x? You're putting me on.

qwertymodo

• View Profile

Dracula9AntiChapel

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 01, 2017, 01:37:56 pm »
Whoever's got them up on Bandcamp is doing so? Normally, if you want to sell a cover version of someone else's song, you have to have some kind of agreement with them, they're the legal license holder for their music.

I wonder if it belongs legally to Yasunori Mitsuda/Nobuo Uematsu, or if their contracts stipulate that Square-Enix retains the copyright? Whoever is selling that soundtrack on bandcamp is fully vulnerable to a C&D if they have not cleared these covers with SE's legal.

Whoever "AntiDracula" or whatever is, they ought to try harder to cover their butts...

There's a thing called Fair Use, and it constitutes that any derivative work can be considered legally as parody or homage if it is not making financial profit, and thus circumvents the otherwise illegal infringement of copyright and intellectual property. This, of course, ultimately is up to the holder of said intellectual properties and copyrights, who can decide to issue cease and desist notices and/or pursue legal action against things which otherwise are protected by Fair Use. Thankfully, many such holders and publishers allow such works to exist, since they recognize them for the free advertising they are.

My larger projects are up on Bandcamp in order to be more readily accessible to my fans in higher-quality formats that do not require me to shell out additional money to expand storage space on my various cloud accounts. That is, quite simply, the chief reason that I use the site. I don't feel like shelling out money on Dropbox to support the additional gigs upon gigs necessary to hold multiple 50+ ~1000kbps FLACs projects for indefinite periods of time.

In my case, I have almost a decade of doing game-music covers and such album arrangement releases as the one for this project, several Final Fantasies, and quite a few others. I've had more than my fair share of copyright disputes with publishers, some third-party and tiny and others quite large and well-known in the industry, and to date I have never lost such a dispute.

Why?

Because I know what shit is and isn't legal and what I can and cannot do and what rights I do and do not have.

You say I need to cover my ass? That I'm vulnerable to a lawsuit and C&D automatically just by putting cover works on Bandcamp?

Let me educate you for a moment, since you clearly have no comprehension of how this process actually works.

See that little thing on the bottom saying "name your price?"

That means the entirety of the album is free, meaning that I will make no profit or otherwise financial gain from the album.

If fans choose to pay for the album of their own volition, then from a legal standpoint these amounts are considerable as donations, as I myself am not deliberately charging for the content. And donations do not violate copyright law. And let me note that those donations are very few, with many opting to obtain the album for free as I have always intended them to.

"Cover my butt," indeed. As if I'm some sneaky amateur trying to profit off someone else's IP. What a rude thing to assume.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 02:52:01 pm by Dracula9AntiChapel »

Ballz

• party time excellent
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 04, 2017, 07:02:16 pm »
At the risk of sounding like a total moron, I can't get this hack to play with the new score and FMV intro.

I applied the bps to a clean Chrono Trigger rom using beat.exe, with no errors.  I created a folder that has all the chrono_msu pcm files as well as the FMV intro included in the OP. I dropped the rom in the same folder and gave it the name chrono_msu.smc.  I load it up and it's... the regular game.

I've done a few other MSU hacks and not had any issue (ALttP DX, SMW MSU). Not sure what I'm missing here.

This is all on an sd2snes.

qwertymodo

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 04, 2017, 07:13:48 pm »
Can you post a screenshot of the folder on your SD card?