News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Chrono Trigger MSU-1 (with FMV's)  (Read 20315 times)

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger MSU-1 (with FMV's)
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2017, 03:01:01 pm »
Is there currently an eta on the IPS?

qwertymodo

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2017, 03:05:41 pm »
It's in the first post, silly :P

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2017, 02:34:14 pm »
Maybe I missed something but I tried applying this with Beat but it keeps saying patch application failed

qwertymodo

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2017, 04:57:44 pm »
That's very strange.  What version of beat are you using?  Perhaps an older version doesn't properly support delta patches.  I'll definitely follow up with byuu on that once I know which version you're dealing with.  In any case, Floating IPS, which is available here on RHDN should work just fine (since that's what I used to create it).

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2017, 05:17:01 pm »
Beat was version 01 but I tried floating ips and it said "this patch was not made for this rom" tried on clean rom no header.

qwertymodo

• View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger MSU-1 (with FMV\'s)
« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2017, 05:52:10 pm »
Then you're using the wrong ROM.  That's one of the nice features of the .bps format, it contains a checksum of the original file so you can confirm that you're using the right base ROM.  The checksums for the correct ROM are posted in the OP.  Check them against the ROM you're using and I think you'll find that the one you have doesn't match.

January 19, 2017, 12:58:35 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Update from Dracula9AntiChapel: https://soundcloud.com/dracula9antichapel/battle-with-magus-arranged
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 12:58:35 am by qwertymodo »

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2017, 08:15:54 pm »
After three Roms I finally found one the patch works with and I have the whole soundtrack (pcm) but no clue what to do now, do you have a readme or anything?

qwertymodo

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2017, 03:07:16 am »
gamename.sfc, gamename.msu, and gamename-#.pcm all go in the same folder (names must match), then you load it with a recent build of Snes9x, not the 1.54.1 release. Look for my thread here in the projects forum for a download link. If you want to load it in bsnes or higan you'll need a manifest, which I haven't made yet.

Ballz

• party time excellent
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2017, 02:33:59 pm »
Apologies if this is a dumb question, but how does the audio integration compare with the MSU1 hack already available?  This review of it gave me pause from ever trying it out, and it also sounds like it was incomplete.  Am I correct in assuming every track is replaced with this project?

qwertymodo

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2017, 02:53:40 pm »
There's a lot of misinformation, and frankly, a fair amount of butthurt in that review.  To generally answer your question, this patch used the source code from that one for a lot of documentation, but I've taken the time to figure out some of the issues that exist with that one, like the in-battle echo issue, and I've added video support.  For the most part, mine is functionally identical to that one, with the addition of video and bug fixes.  As for that review, I'll go ahead and respond point-by-point.

>constantly-resetting audio tunes consistantly interrupted by (non-symphonic) standard battle music due to limitations in the current implementation of MSU-1

The reviewer obviously downloaded the wrong version of the patch, there is a version with audio resume support and one without, and the "current implementation of MSU-1" with support for audio resume has been available for *years*.

>There’s little to no ‘audio normalization’ when it comes to stuff like that due to the nature of the ’symphonic’ genre.

This is addressed better in my updated conversion script.  Audio levels have been a problem for a long time due to an issue with the SD2SNES DAC, which is a bit of a long story, but suffice it to say it's fixed.

>The nail in the coffin for this in my eyes tends to be the limitation that it ONLY works with a specific person’s licensed cover rather than other fan-works or artists that have created music for Chrono Trigger.
>More specifically, the Overclocked Remix Chrono Symphonic album is fantastic and free to boot. I’d like to be able to use that (or mix and match) but it is a no-go apparently with the current limitations of this hack and how MSU-1 works.
>More flexibility in choosing which covers we want to use would let us support the specific artists/songs that we enjoy per track rather than trying to force a square peg into a round hole.

Everything about this complaint is incorrect.  You're perfectly free to use LITERALLY ANY AUDIO FILES YOU WANT.  There is NO LIMITATION WHATSOEVER.  It's just that there are over 60 tracks, and it's a lot of work to convert them, and DS only did that work for one specific pack.  It's the same reason I originally did the same, but now there are 2 options, thanks to Dracula9AntiChapel.  If you want more options like Chrono Symphonic, all you have to do is convert them yourself and find proper loop points.  I can tell you from experience, it's a lot of work, but pretty simple once you get the hang of it.

>You can shave off the corners as much as you like, even sand it down, but it won’t ever be as perfect of a fit to the original game as other covers (or the original music).

100% subjective

>A minor nitpick but the hack is not compatible with any other hacks or retranslation hacks due to the nature of what was changed to accomodate the MSU-1.

This is true, but as I've mentioned earlier in this thread, I will be releasing a separate version of the patch which will be compatible with other patches, but WILL require the authors of those patches to do some extra work.  End users will NOT be able to just apply both patch files one after the other, it won't work that way, but if any other patch author wants to add it, it will be about 10-15 minutes worth of work tops.

Ballz

• party time excellent
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2017, 03:26:23 pm »
Appreciate the response, and for clarifying the issues the reviewer experienced with the audio playback, as that was my biggest concern

NoKnownOrigin

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2017, 03:49:32 pm »
First, I want to say a huge thanks for doing this. I thought that DarkShock's MSU conversion was going to be the best we were ever going to get, but this looks like it will be the definitive version when it is released.

Now, there is a problem with all of the MSU audio hacks that I have downloaded and it is present here too: A small but annoying "pop" at the beginning of all of the audio tracks. At first I thought it was something to do with the SD2SNES, but after trying these out on emulators, and then finally by opening the raw PCM data, I was able to confirm that it is the actual audio files.

“wav2msu” ads a spike to the first sample in the PCM file. I converted a bunch of random WAV files to confirm this, and it happened on every one. So, yeah, I don’t know if there is a way to fix this automatically. For now I have just been manually leveling that sample and re-exporting the files.

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2017, 06:49:23 pm »
Finally got it working, not sure if this is the kind of feedback you're looking for but if any event script is edited in temporal flux this will not load past the title screen, just something to keep in mind when trying to make it compatible with other hacks.

qwertymodo

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 20, 2017, 07:42:38 pm »
“wav2msu” ads a spike to the first sample in the PCM file. I converted a bunch of random WAV files to confirm this, and it happened on every one. So, yeah, I don’t know if there is a way to fix this automatically. For now I have just been manually leveling that sample and re-exporting the files.

That's the file header, it's not an audio spike.  You just deleted the loop point.

Finally got it working, not sure if this is the kind of feedback you're looking for but if any event script is edited in temporal flux this will not load past the title screen, just something to keep in mind when trying to make it compatible with other hacks.

Yep, I've mentioned that several times in this thread.  This patch includes TF event script changes of its own, so you can't combine it with other patches with event script changes.  There will be a separate patch when it is complete with the event script changes removed, and replaced with a documented list of the events to add back in manually, which will make it compatible, but will take a little bit of work on the other patch author's part if they want to make it so.

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 20, 2017, 07:47:54 pm »
Then I probably read it, I guess wishfull thinking affected my memory, anyway does what it's supposed to so thanks and good work.

NoKnownOrigin

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 20, 2017, 10:25:33 pm »
That's the file header, it's not an audio spike.  You just deleted the loop point.

If that's the case, then what is the solution? Is there an easy way to skip those first few samples? It is audible in-game in all of these MSU hacks whenever there is a cut to the very beginning of a song, I think the most obvious is in DarkShock's MegaMan X conversion.

qwertymodo

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 20, 2017, 11:49:32 pm »
I'm not sure what's causing it, but I can guarantee you that you are NOT hearing those "samples" because they are not samples.  Just like when you open a .wav file, you don't hear the header being played as audio, the player knows what the header is and knows to skip it.  Whatever is causing the pop, that's not it... unless ikari totally broke something on the SD2SNES.  Do you experience the same issue in higan or Snes9x?  Regardless, don't mess with those bytes, you'll break things.  For one, you'll overwrite the loop point, and for another, you'll probably break Snes9x detection entirely since it looks for the magic bytes 'M' 'S' 'U' '1' in the header.

NoKnownOrigin

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2017, 10:48:34 am »
Well I do feel like a bit of an idiot for not reading this first.  :-\

It does happen in Higan and Snes9x, though I have only tested MegaMan X and Zelda in those. I was planning on rebuilding my MSU library soon anyway, as I will have to test everything again now that the SD2SNES volume issue has been fixed. If there are still issues I will record a video showing what I am talking about. Thanks again.

qwertymodo

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2017, 12:59:17 pm »
One other thing to try, use the audio packs from here: http://www.zeldix.net/t1265-fixing-all-of-the-too-loud-audio-packs-for-good

The long-story-short version of the volume issue is that because the SD2SNES was too quiet, people made their audio tracks too loud to compensate, and that *might* cause popping.  I've been working on correcting the audio files for the fixed audio levels.  I don't have all of them done yet, it's a pretty long process, but at least give those a try and see if that works any better for you.

Edit: Big update, I HAVE THE FLACS

alcabcucu

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2017, 02:06:45 pm »
This is great!! Didn't know this was even possible and I've spent all the evening learning how to apply these patches!! Amazing job!!
I've seen that the intro video you provide is in a "BETA" state, as the "BETA" word appears in the middle of the screen when playing it from the game.
Is it possible to download another msu version of this video without the annoying "BETA" word? X-D

Thanks a lot for all your efforts. I'm enjoying Chrono Trigger again!