News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Chrono Trigger MSU-1 (with FMV's)  (Read 20316 times)

Mugi

• Sony-colored Glasses
    • View Profile
    • Blacklabel-translations
Re: Chrono Trigger MSU-1 (with FMV\'s)
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2016, 07:23:28 pm »
I am not Blake Robinson, I am not the one selling the tracks. He is fully licensed to sell the tracks, and pays royalties on all sales to the proper people through his label. I have no connection to Blake, and am not trying to "market" his tracks, they are simply the best track set I have found, so I chose to use them. You are more than free to replace them with other tracks of your choosing and go to the effort of looping them all yourself.  Also, I am trying to get my hands on a free track pack from a guy on YouTube by the username Dracula9AntiChapel, but I'm waiting for him to provide lossless encodes, as the MP3 release suffers from some significant compression artifacts.

figured the case was something along the lines, to I'll have to admit i got a tad confused of the fact whether or not you're the author of those tracks, and whether or not the patch supports other sources for the music at all.

propably mostly caused by the fact that you simply provided a "download" link to a site for buying them, while everyone expected an actual download link :P
In PSP we trust.

Duke2go

• View Profile
    • Final Fantasy Reconstructed
Re: Chrono Trigger MSU-1 (with FMV's)
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2016, 07:41:07 pm »
As starved as I am for a new Chrono experience, I'm about half tempted to try this when I need a break from the Reconstructed project. I'd definitely interested in learning more though, so I'll definitely pay attention and get in touch if I will be able to actually give constructive feedback. I had hoped that opening the beta for my game would get more feedback, but it was a lot more limited than I expected. Look forward to seeing how things progress.  :beer:

Duke
Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly, the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence...

http://www.ffreconstructed.com/
https://www.facebook.com/finalfantasyreconstructed/

qwertymodo

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2016, 02:00:21 am »
I went ahead and updated the OP to clarify the audio situation :)

Mugi

• Sony-colored Glasses
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2016, 03:33:25 am »
I went ahead and updated the OP to clarify the audio situation :)

:thumbsup:

though if i'll ever end up using this patch, i will propably just get the intended tracks anyway. doesn't hurt to support a cause every now and then.
That will have to wait a while though, since emulation is out of the question for me and my own implementation of MSU-1 is ....well, broken, for the lack of better word.

still, this sort of patches along translation patches are why i am into romhacking to begin with. grats on finishing it!
In PSP we trust.

qwertymodo

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2016, 02:14:05 pm »
When you say emulation is out of the question, why is that? Is it just a question of not being able to run bsnes/higan full speed? Because if that's the issue, give this a try :)

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,23063.0.html

Mugi

• Sony-colored Glasses
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2016, 02:15:39 pm »
When you say emulation is out of the question, why is that? Is it just a question of not being able to run bsnes/higan full speed? Because if that's the issue, give this a try :)

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,23063.0.html

i can run higan, i just dont want to :P
it's hardware or gtfo for me ^.^
In PSP we trust.

qwertymodo

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2016, 05:41:02 pm »
Fair enough. If you run it on the SD2SNES, just know you'll need a good, low-latency card or it might crash on the videos.

Mugi

• Sony-colored Glasses
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2016, 09:27:12 pm »
so i heard.
I might try it out on the emulator though but generally I like to stick to my hardware addiction.
i've been a gamer for almost 30 years now and i can still count the number of games i played with an emulator with my fingers. Trying to keep it that way :P
In PSP we trust.

qwertymodo

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2016, 12:49:53 am »
I've been talking with ikari to see if he can optimize the seek latency any on his end, or if I just happen to have all garbage cards.  If it's the latter, I'd be really bummed because the one that's giving me the MOST trouble is my brand new UHS I speed class Sandisk card :/

NoOneee

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2016, 08:33:48 am »
I've been talking with ikari to see if he can optimize the seek latency any on his end, or if I just happen to have all garbage cards.  If it's the latter, I'd be really bummed because the one that's giving me the MOST trouble is my brand new UHS I speed class Sandisk card :/

The SD cards speed rating only indicates the minimum sequential writing speed and says nothing about latency. I have a class 4 card that is much faster at doing small read/writes than one my my class 10 cards. I think some sacrifice latency in order to get a higher "speed class" because in the end that's what the end consumer looks at when he's looking for a new card.

qwertymodo

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2016, 11:09:25 am »
Yes, I'm aware of the difference between speed class and latency, it's just incredibly unfortunate that there's no way to gauge latency short of buying the card, opening it up, and testing it.

Edit: After running the SD2SNES System Information access time test once, all of my video crashing issues are gone, and my peak access times are all way down.  So, that's weird, but I'm not going to complain.

November 22, 2016, 02:46:20 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Good news on the audio front, Dracula9AntiChapel has sent me a FLAC version of his OST Remaster (well, I'm actually waiting on him to re-upload it to a different host because it didn't quite work the first time...), and he has given me permission to redistribute it, so I will soon have an alternative track pack that doesn't cost $25.  Looping will take awhile though, so be patient with me.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 02:46:20 pm by qwertymodo »

patuli

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2016, 10:45:51 pm »
Great news, but after hearing some of the tracks, it seems like there are just mp3 to flac.
BTW i read this about sd2snes (In addition to the +5V mod, rev H (I think) of the SD2SNES also includes a unity-gain op-amp on the output of the DAC to fix the impedance mismatch) So what do I have to do (I have rev F) to fix my sd2snes?

qwertymodo

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2016, 11:09:38 pm »
If you have firmware v1.7b or later (at least I think it was b... it was one of the v1.7 releases), there is an option in the menu to enable MSU-1 Volume Boost.  Set that all the way up to +12dB and it should fix things, EXCEPT in the case of some track packs which were boosted in an attempt to work around the issue, but I'm currently working on lowering those packs back down so that everything works at the same level (it's super annoying that right now you have to set the boost for some and not for others, once I get the updated track packs done, it will no longer be an issue, just enable the boost to full and leave it there).  Also, with the corrected track packs, any hack that released separate "SD2SNES" and "emulator" patches, the emulator version should NOT be used anymore, the "SD2SNES" version will be the one that works on BOTH the SD2SNES and emulators (again, trying to make everything consistent and get rid of all of the hacky workarounds).  You can check my progress on the audio packs, or report any other problematic audio packs you come across, here: http://www.zeldix.net/t1265-fixing-all-of-the-too-loud-audio-packs-for-good

November 23, 2016, 02:13:52 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
2 Updates.  First, I just uploaded an update to the patch that addresses several of the issues that have been discovered so far.  One of the fixes I'm most interested in getting feedback on has to do with a weird edge case in trying to handle the difference between how the SPC works and how the MSU-1 works.  One place this is easily tested is on the 1000AD overworld, when you walk away from your house toward the forest and the audio track fades out and then changes to a different track.  The way I'm handling this has the potential to cause minor graphical glitching due to sometimes very tight timing constraints in the NMI interrupt vector.  One such glitch I found was at one point in the game, walking into Lucca's house or the Milennial Fair would cause a small horizontal line of pixels (about 8 of them) in the left-center region of the screen to glitch out.  I don't have a photo right now, because now I can't find the save file where it occurred, but if you experience any graphical glitching, please report it, along with a screenshot and a .srm file.  Bugs of this nature are difficult to eliminate because it's not anything specific that I'm doing wrong, it's a timing problem due to the fact that I'm doing anything at all.

The Epoch ending softlock is still not fixed.  I have the fix from DarkShock's code, I just haven't had the time to implement it.

Second, as others have mentioned, the FLAC files I received were, in fact, simply transcoded from the 128k MP3's, so that's unfortunate, but at this point it's sounding like FLAC files won't be available for several months.  I have decided to move forward with looping and converting the files that I have, and if the FLAC files do become available in the future, I'll replace them.  They may be heavily compressed, but at least it's an option for people who don't want to pay $25 for Blake Robinson's soundtrack.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 02:13:52 pm by qwertymodo »

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2016, 04:18:43 pm »
What's the time frame for those of us that do have the sound track

sindrik

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2016, 06:45:32 pm »
i patched Chrono Trigger (U) [!] and converted the OST flacs properly with the tool provided, tried to run it with bsnes+ and snes9x, but only the original spc music plays

anything else i should do, maybe? this hapened to me with this patch and the prevoius one

qwertymodo

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2016, 06:48:02 pm »
Timeframe for the final release?  No idea right now.  On the one hand, the image processing code is going to take awhile, and on the other, after a week and more than 50 downloads, I've received exactly one bug report (all of the rest listed in the OP were ones I found myself in my own playthrough).  So if people aren't going to ACTUALLY TEST and provide feedback, it's going to severely hamper my ability to fix things.

November 25, 2016, 06:50:16 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
i patched Chrono Trigger (U) [!] and converted the OST flacs properly with the tool provided, tried to run it with bsnes+ and snes9x, but only the original spc music plays

anything else i should do, maybe? this hapened to me with this patch and the prevoius one

bsnes+ and Snes9x both use the "SD2SNES" file naming, which looks like this:

gamename.sfc
gamename.srm
gamename.msu
gamename-1.pcm
gamename-2.pcm
gamename-#.pcm

So, if your ROM is named chrono_msu.sfc, then you need to create a file named chrono_msu.msu, and the .pcm files must be named chrono_msu-1.pcm, chrono_msu-2.pcm, etc.

Also, IMPORTANT NOTE anybody who downloaded the patch after 22 Nov, or thereabout, you need to re-download it.  The code got too long and clobbered about 30 bytes of existing ROM, and could cause all kinds of problems (for one, it makes Reptites essentially unbeatable...)

sindrik

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2016, 11:52:02 pm »
bsnes+ and Snes9x both use the "SD2SNES" file naming, which looks like this:

gamename.sfc
gamename.srm
gamename.msu
gamename-1.pcm
gamename-2.pcm
gamename-#.pcm

So, if your ROM is named chrono_msu.sfc, then you need to create a file named chrono_msu.msu, and the .pcm files must be named chrono_msu-1.pcm, chrono_msu-2.pcm, etc.

Also, IMPORTANT NOTE anybody who downloaded the patch after 22 Nov, or thereabout, you need to re-download it.  The code got too long and clobbered about 30 bytes of existing ROM, and could cause all kinds of problems (for one, it makes Reptites essentially unbeatable...)
sorry for the dumb error, i created the .msu and then it went fine

redownloaded and reapplied the patch with md5 F01AC65B091FD5281B5DACC65570CD3B

qwertymodo

• View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger MSU-1 (with FMV\\\'s)
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2016, 02:13:54 am »
For higan users, the filename is msu1.rom instead of romname.msu, and track-1.pcm, track-2.pcm, etc.

November 27, 2016, 02:01:36 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Ok, so fairly serious bug, the FMV gfx reload hijack is apparently breaking the pause menu.  After the Magic Cave cutscene (and possibly others as well), you're no longer able to open the pause or character select menus.  Currently, it's possible to work around this by simply going to a shop and opening the store dialog.  It'll take me awhile to track down a proper fix, and I won't even be able to start until I get back to my main PC next week.  However, so far this only really affects one person besides myself...

November 28, 2016, 03:21:32 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Ok, the pause bug should be fixed.  Hopefully that won't cause any other side effects, but it shouldn't.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 12:32:44 pm by qwertymodo »

qwertymodo

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2016, 07:32:16 pm »
Hmm... I have a question about Lavos' Theme.

For reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X1-uqDYa7w

I don't recall when in-game the part at 1:20-2:25 is actually played.  I seem to remember the theme just looping back to the beginning at 1:20.  Does anybody know when that part plays?

December 12, 2016, 12:37:36 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Good news for all of you cheapskates ;D the free audio pack is now available. Big thanks to Dracula9AntiChapel for allowing me to redistribute them.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 12:37:36 am by qwertymodo »

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2016, 01:48:00 pm »
Are they the same quality?