News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Chrono Trigger MSU-1 (with FMV's)  (Read 16294 times)

Ballz

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • party time excellent
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger MSU-1 (with FMV's)
« Reply #100 on: February 04, 2017, 09:02:24 pm »
Sure thing, here it is. The pcm files are the Dracula9AntiChapel versions you created.

qwertymodo

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 04, 2017, 09:18:23 pm »
Rename chrono_msu_intro.msu to chrono_msu.msu

Ballz

• party time excellent
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 04, 2017, 09:26:37 pm »
That did the trick, as previously assumed, I'm a moron.   

I'm in business, five minutes in and I'm loving the hell out of this.   :beer:

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 05, 2017, 01:03:02 am »
There's a thing called Fair Use.

Fairly used, indeed. My mistake, Draculer. Accept my apology please.

SC

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 08, 2017, 02:59:45 pm »
Where can I find a BML file for this?

Any estimated date for the finished thing?

qwertymodo

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 08, 2017, 03:23:58 pm »
Where can I find a BML file for this?

Any estimated date for the finished thing?

Sorry, I haven't gotten around to writing manifests, but you don't need one for higan, just rename the files.

ROM: program.rom
Save: save.ram
MSU: msu1.rom
PCM: track-#.pcm

No ETA at the moment, I've been swamped with work and school, and I still need to get Parallel Worlds 1.3 finished first.

SC

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 08, 2017, 03:29:13 pm »
Okay, thanks!
Ah, and sorry for my expeditive manners, I tend to be in a hurry... :-[

qwertymodo

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 08, 2017, 03:33:42 pm »

Ballz

• party time excellent
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 09, 2017, 09:47:34 pm »
So I'm kind of a weirdo who likes trying as many different things as possible, so I went ahead and got the Chrono Symphony and was going to play the game using that for a bit to decide if I liked it more than Dracula9AntiChapel's version (I did something similar when I recently played A Link to the Past DX and kept swapping between the two Zelda arranged OSTs available). 

qwerty's script from the OP to convert the Chrono Symphony flacs worked like a charm, but I noticed there was one less PCM created, compared to Dracula's soundtrack.  Was it just an extra cutscene from the game that Chrono Symphony didn't cover, but Dracula's did? Or did the conversion script accidentally leave it off? The missing track is the last one, chrono_msu-85.pcm

qwertymodo

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 09, 2017, 11:12:07 pm »
Track 85 isn't handled in code yet, it's an alternate loop of Lavos' Theme (played during the 1999 Day of Lavos, with the extra, quiet section). Once I get it implemented in code, I'll add it to the Blake Robinson script.

Ballz

• party time excellent
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 09, 2017, 11:54:19 pm »
Cool, thanks for the explanation.

For anyone curious about the differences between the two arrangements, I think Dracula's can be best summed up as "enhanced" renditions that stay quite faithful to the original composition, but with higher quality sounding instrumentation.  Blake's goes for more of a symphonic orchestral vibe that has some arrangements sounding quite a bit different from the source material.

They're both really quite good and offer interesting interpretations.  I might spend an afternoon closely comparing the two track-by-track, and creating my own personal mashup MSU soundtrack featuring my preferred rendition for each song. Like I said, I'm kind of a weirdo when it comes to these things.

If you have the money, definitely consider purchasing Blake's soundtrack. Even if you choose not to use that version for the game, it's quite nice for casual listening. And while you're in no way obligated to pay for Dracula's version, you can always throw him a few bucks as gratitude on his bandcamp page. :)

qwertymodo

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 10, 2017, 12:14:54 am »
You can actually already generate track 85 if you want. Open up tracks.cfg and find the section for Lavos' Theme (I don't remember the track number, just Ctrl+F Lavos), and copy the config lines for that track, then change the track number on the copied lines to 85. There should be commented out lines marked "Extended", uncomment them and comment out the originals for those parameters. Run the script again and you should have track 85.

Dracula9AntiChapel

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 10, 2017, 01:13:19 am »
The track in question features an additional segment following the main organ melodies which implements The Day the World Revived, and is only played during the 1999 cutscene on the Dome command console. Qwerty's currently kept the standard Lavos theme loop, since AFAIK there's no other place the full version plays.

For anyone curious about the differences between the two arrangements, I think Dracula's can be best summed up as "enhanced" renditions that stay quite faithful to the original composition, but with higher quality sounding instrumentation.

Right on the money. That's been the name of the game in every arrange album I do. I figure, "why fix what isn't broken?" If the point is the pay homage and tribute to the original, then to me it only makes sense to stay as faithful as possible, even when I add new melodies or segments to enhance a given piece. Every artist is different, though, so that's just my outlook on it.

It's also funny you mention ALTTP--I just finished the very same album a short while back. Talk about a coincidence, haha.

Having finally beaten a playthrough, I gotta say barring the few bugs I've reported, thing was a treat to see in action.

qwertymodo

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 10, 2017, 05:21:39 pm »
It's also funny you mention ALTTP--I just finished the very same album a short while back. Talk about a coincidence, haha.

I must have missed that on your BandCamp page.  Guess I have another track pack to make :)  Super Metroid too, from the looks of it.

Lux

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 15, 2017, 02:06:07 am »
Hey Qwerty, I pm'd you a few days ago, I'm interested in playtesting the full version of you MSU1 patch. I understand that all the videos will have beta over them and currently am saved outside the building Robo is picked up in.

I'm playing on Higan v102 in Linux Mint with Dracula9AntiChapel's pack and the intro video working correctly.

Dracula'9's pack as previously noted is a sort of high definition version of the games OST. In game its a sort of uncanny valley where it sounds good but doesn't quite feel right that it's this good in game (purely subjective, not a complaint).
The only problem I've had with the patch so far is that in game, the section starting at 10 seconds of Dracula9AntiChapel's "A premonition" makes it sound like the emulator is suffering fps drop. Even on the bandcamp page it sounds like the voices are slightly jagged (not a muso so don't know the words).

I'm very grateful for this seeming piece of magic however, thanks to qwerty/Dracula and those who've helped them on this task.

Dracula9AntiChapel

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 15, 2017, 02:32:35 pm »
The only problem I've had with the patch so far is that in game, the section starting at 10 seconds of Dracula9AntiChapel's "A premonition" makes it sound like the emulator is suffering fps drop. Even on the bandcamp page it sounds like the voices are slightly jagged (not a muso so don't know the words).

I'm not hearing anything fitting that description on my end--both on the BC page (and source file) and the ROM. Could you elaborate more on what you mean by "jagged?"

Do any of my other tracks on BC do this? I don't hear anything like that, but it's possible there was a compression corruption on upload, and if that's the case I'd wanna get that sorted out right quick.

Lux

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2017, 02:35:25 am »
I'm not sure if it's intended behaviour Dracula9Antichapel but the section starting at 14 seconds here sounds like its rapidly going up and down in pitch by a small bit (the vocal instrument).

Comparing it to this track at 12 seconds, I can here it to a small degree so it may be native to the game and working as intended. I'll fire up vanilla CT and/or check it out in Audacity later to see if there's anything obvious.

Dracula9AntiChapel

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 17, 2017, 03:40:07 pm »
I'm really not hearing anything like that. I've double-checked and there's no pitch adjustments anywhere in the source project file.

Are you sure you might not be confusing the backing strings? Both are playing at similar pitch and frequencies, so you may be registering something relating more to the frequencies overlapping, or perhaps it's simply the natural sustain notes of the choir and somehow it's rendering/being heard oddly on your end--but I must reiterate that I myself don't hear anything of the sort in any of the multiple locations of the track.

I hate to sound like I'm saying "are you sure it's not just you?" but I can't think of anything else to test for this sound, since I'm not hearing it in any context.

qwertymodo

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 18, 2017, 01:36:17 am »
I hear what he's talking about, it's called harmonic interference. If you've ever been in a band or orchestra you're very familiar with the effect during tuning when somebody's out of tune and they get closer or farther away from the group. In this case it's the result of multiple layers of voices. If they were exactly the same, it wouldn't sound like multiple voices, it would sound like one voice with the volume turned up. You need the voices to be different enough that you can actually hear them distinctly. However, because they are computer-based samples, you sometimes get periodic interference patterns like that, where real voices would instead have much more random variation, so the interference wouldn't manifest in that audible pulsing. Or maybe it's just reverb. I don't know, I'm tired and I'm not an audio engineer. Long story short, it's there, but it's not really something that needs to be "fixed".

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 19, 2017, 08:27:06 am »
Haven't heard back from you for a few weeks, was just wondering if you were still interested in making this work with my hack?