News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Tengai Makyou Zero translation project  (Read 157245 times)

Tom

• View Profile
Re: Tengai Makyou Zero translation project
« Reply #1160 on: May 06, 2018, 05:58:22 am »
It's not as good as the originals, but there's still a lot of content. You got a lot of bank for your buck. The polygonal models are Barbie-dollish and not as charming as the PC Engine entries. The battles are pretty slick and fast-paced, but the game still feels like something of a slog.

(But then again, so do the original PC Engine games.)

It was originally planned to be on the PC Engine. There are even screenshots of it. (I heard they eventually turned THAT story into a novel, and when they decided to finally make the game years later on the PS2, they decided to change things up.)

Since I can emulate PS2 games now, I'm definitely willing to work on a translation of Namida when the time comes.

Lentfilms

• View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: May 06, 2018, 07:25:26 am »
Thanks for sharing Tom.
And yeah, it seems like there was a version of Tengai Makyou III on the PC-Engine, then it moved to the PC-FX and finally was reimagined like you said for the PS2. But then Shoji Masuda took the original story and made it into a novel in 2007, although I think all the references to Tengai Makyou were removed and it added a new female protagonist. In fact the protagonist from those novels makes a cameo in Oreshika, a Vita game created by Masuda, as one of the many gods in the game.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: May 06, 2018, 08:16:13 am »
I found some reviews of the novel. They say it's really thick, and was also split into two parts. The reviews are mixed, so I wonder if it's worth translating.

One review said it mentions the Fire Clan in the book, so not ALL of it was changed, apparently.

And thanks for telling me about the connection to "Oreshika." Is the cameo only in the Vita sequel, or is she also in the first PS1 game, or in the PSP remake?

Lentfilms

• View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: May 06, 2018, 09:54:27 am »
I am pretty sure she is not in the oringianl PS1 game but I did a quick Google search and it looks like she is indeed in the PSP remake.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: May 06, 2018, 02:03:42 pm »
Tengai Makyo III was also planned for GameCube, perhaps explaining why Manjimaru was chosen as one of the games in Hudson's collection of older game remakes for the system.
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: May 07, 2018, 12:24:49 am »
It's crazy that ports/remakes of Manjimaru are playable on PS2, GameCube, DS, PSP, PS3, and Vita.

(Too bad they're all censored.)

They even have a pachinko machine version of it!