News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Best ROM Hacks for casual players  (Read 2923 times)

Madsiur

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • FF6 hacker
    • View Profile
Best ROM Hacks for casual players
« on: November 17, 2016, 01:02:45 pm »
I'm building two Retro Pie for my twin sister as Christmas gifts and I'm looking for ROM hacks recommendations.

They were gamers mainly during the NES / SNES / Genesis / N64 era and we owned games from the Mario, Zelda, Mega Man, Donkey Kong Country series as well as other platformers like Bubsy, Disney games, BattleToads, etc. They are not hardcore gamers so I'm looking for original ROM Hack but not hardtypes hacks of any game of mentioned consoles or for the mentioned series. They were not into sport series or RPGs, however they were playing some NES sport games that were less complex than as an example NHL 97. Suggestion can be graphics hacks or gameplay / levels hack. I'm also open to suggestion of translations of good games that never made it in NA.

I have little Hacks knowledge outside the Final Fantasy franchise and SNES RPGs so this is why I'm requesting some help!

Any suggestion is appreciated!

Bobolicious81

• Keeper of the Taco Sandwich
    • View Profile
Re: Best ROM Hacks for casual players
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 04:16:08 pm »
Well if you include Mega Man 3, I highly recommend kuja killer's improvement patch.
Super Mario 3mix is pretty cool.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 04:39:54 pm »
Would the hack for Yoshi's Island that deletes the crying baby noise count?

Also, I don't think anyone ever mentions King of Demon's translation but it can be pretty hard.

Bobolicious81

• Keeper of the Taco Sandwich
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 05:25:05 pm »
Oh, I forgot Gunman's Proof. I haven't played it yet but it looks interesting to me. It's about cowboys and aliens and runs on the Link to the Past engine.

Then there's always the homebrew stuff like Painguin (a penguin who fights nazis), Pogo Cats, D-Pad Hero, Zooming Secretary, and Rock Paper Scissors
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 05:55:45 pm by Bobolicious81 »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 05:54:33 pm »
Gunman's Proof is awesome.  It's even pretty funny.

Speaking of Homebrew!  Classic Kong and Alter Ego would fit right in.

Maeson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 05:58:08 pm »
Gunple: Gunman's Proof is a cool little SNES game. Pretty fun, and I recommend it, although sometimes gets a bit tough I remember. It has also some nice music.

For NES/Famicom, Mitsume Ga Tooru is an action platformer, and a GREAT one at that. Good music, good visuals, fun gameplay, you control a kid with a mystical third eye that shoots beams, and it has a translation right here too!

Samurai Pizza Cats is also another Famicom game with a translaton, and yet another action/platformer. You have a team of several characters you can swap anytime, with different abilities and while a bit on the easy side it's pretty fun. The translation itself is pretty cool, it even hacks in the english theme!

Splatterhouse: Wanpukku Graffiti is a parody platformer. A more "funny" version of Splatterhouse, and it's a pretty decent game with some good details.

Twinbee Rainbow Bell Adventure is one of those games that came out of Japan butchered. Is a Super Nintendo platformer (a not very conventional one), and the best way to play it is with a translated japanese version.

I'm off for some time. If for some weird, strange, and important reason, you need to talk to me, just send me a PM and probably I'll read it whenever I come back.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 06:21:12 pm »
I'm also open to suggestion of translations of good games that never made it in NA.

*toot toot*
Front Mission: Gun Hazard. Some RPG trappings (leveling and equipment customization) but otherwise straight-up action/platformer/sidescroller. Bloody wonderful game.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 07:29:12 pm »
Super Mario Bros. 3Mix, Hyper Metroid, Metal Sonic Hyperdrive
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

shadowmanwkp

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2016, 03:34:33 am »
Breath of fire 2 retranslation.

No, it's not a Japan exclusive, but the new translation is leagues better than the official ones on snes and gba. The new intro is a nice touch.

Madsiur

• FF6 hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2016, 08:53:46 pm »
Thanks to all for those suggestion! I'll make some searches myself and incorporate most of your suggestions.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2016, 02:13:47 pm »
If your sister likes RPGs and/or Earthbound, the Mother 25th Anniversary Edition retranslation patch for Earthbound 0 makes the game about as epic and beautiful as it gets.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2016, 04:04:10 pm »
If your sister likes RPGs and/or Earthbound, the Mother 25th Anniversary Edition retranslation patch for Earthbound 0 makes the game about as epic and beautiful as it gets.
I'd like to add to this the Faithful edition of 25th and Maternalbound.  Both are great ways of replaying the games!

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2016, 04:45:14 pm »
Based on the initial post, which -said- they weren't into RPGs, I'd venture -probably- not any RPGs.

There were a bunch of Balloon Fight hacks that might be worth looking at to pick out what works.

Maybe the Star Wars hack of Battle City?

Madsiur

• FF6 hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2016, 05:57:36 pm »
Based on the initial post, which -said- they weren't into RPGs, I'd venture -probably- not any RPGs.

Exactly. They like action adventure games like Zelda but not typical turn based RPGs or JRPGs.

There were a bunch of Balloon Fight hacks that might be worth looking at to pick out what works.
Maybe the Star Wars hack of Battle City?

I'll look into those, thanks! I'm currently checking all NES hacks (and soon SNES ones) of games they played and other good games and gather what seems to be well done or what has good critics. I'm also gathering easy-type patches since they were not hardcore gamers. It's a bit tedious but it will be done partially for myself too since I got a retro pie as well. I'm not really excited about checking games like Super Mario World because of the insane amount of hacks available. This is a reason I made this thread.

As for the RPG suggestions, I'll keep those from my own retro-pie, they were not made in vain.

CM30

• View Profile
    • Gaming Reinvented (in beta testing)
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2016, 08:12:24 pm »
Super Mario 64: Last Impact is a pretty forgiving Super Mario 64 mod, at least for the first five worlds or so. Doesn't require precision platforming anywhere near as much as other mods for the game.

I would also like to mention that over on SMW Central, you can literally filter by difficulty. So if you select easy as the option, you get 208 hacks considered far easier than the rest on the site (and hence more playable for non hardcore gamers).
Like Wario?  If so, check out Wario Forums today!

Similarly, want to test a new gaming site?  Check out Gaming Reinvented! Now in beta!