News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: converting gbs to ogg vorbis while preserving loop?  (Read 1733 times)

ShadowBlitz16

• View Profile
converting gbs to ogg vorbis while preserving loop?
« on: November 08, 2016, 03:50:04 pm »
does anybody know how i can convert a gbs to ogg vorbis while preserving the loop?

I'm not good at looping music and it seems like there are not sites hosting oggs at all let alone ones that are not remixes and use the original sound font

I am not good at looping mp3's either I got a loop working just a second ago but I think I didn't loop it correctly and it left out most of the music

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Re: converting gbs to ogg vorbis while preserving loop?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 04:04:09 pm »
Well, here's how I do stuff like this with NSF files...

I load it in winamp, set it to output a wave file, let it write about 3-5 minutes worth of a track, open the resulting track in an audio editing program (I don't like a bunch of bullshit so I use an old version of Acoustica), listen to the song to find the loop point, pinpoint the time at which it finishes its second loop, go about 10 seconds past that and cut off everything beyond it, take the last ten seconds and have the song fade out for about 6-7 seconds followed by about 2-3 seconds of silence, save as (in my case) an MP3.

Someone else might have a better method, but were I wanting to do something like this I'd get a GBS plugin for winamp and do the same thing.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 04:10:02 pm »
You should use the "file writer plugin" for Winamp, it allows you to output to many audio format instead of the speaker, including OGG Vorbis. No post-editing is even required - although you might still need it depending on what you want to do (for example, add a fade-out or filter the sound). In this case I recommand getting familiar with Audacity, which has the advantage of being GNU/Free.

ShadowBlitz16

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 07:02:08 pm »
I have used winamp before and I didn't like it.
not only that but it required you to buy and I don't trust it enough to do a online purchase

however I do have audacity but I don't have an ear for looping

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 08:45:08 pm »
foobar2k is compatible with most winamp plugins and is free and less junky.

You should be able to use FB2k to do the conversion the same way you'd use winamp:

1)  Get a GBS input plugin
2)  Get an Ogg Vorbis output plugin
3)  Play your song -- it'll write to a file instead of playing it
4)  ???
5)  profit

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 09:43:56 pm »
I have used winamp before and I didn't like it.
not only that but it required you to buy and I don't trust it enough to do a online purchase
Winamp has been freeware for ages now.  There used to be a "Pro" version, but I don't think you can buy that anymore even if you wanted to.  If something upsets you about the most recent versions, then the ancient Winamp 2.95 will still have all the support for the plugins you need.

What are you even playing GBS files in if you're not using Winamp?  I think Audacity might be capable of selecting your sound card's output as a record source, so you could record things that way if you wanted.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 02:01:04 am »
What are you even playing GBS files in if you're not using Winamp?  I think Audacity might be capable of selecting your sound card's output as a record source, so you could record things that way if you wanted.
Speaking of which, why not record from a real GB directly ? It would have the advantage to not contain any emulation innacuracy.

henke37

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 06:25:09 am »
Speaking of which, why not record from a real GB directly ? It would have the advantage to not contain any emulation innacuracy.
And it would have the disadvantage of gameplay sounds getting in the way along with line noise.