News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: RPG for Android  (Read 4375 times)

A.D.R.I.A.N

• View Profile
RPG for Android
« on: October 29, 2016, 10:26:22 pm »
Hey guys, i was wandering around the Google Playstore and i found nothing interesing.
So i wondered if you know good RPG games for android to try out (not the social RPG type, but traditional ones).
Any interesing suggestions are welcome.
"I hate when mods don't let you ask for help."

Azkadellia

• Forum Moderator
  • 提交向你的情妇!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Translations
Re: RPG for Android
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 11:54:26 pm »
I hear good things about Final Fantasy Record Keepers. I also enjoyed what I've played of Mobius Final Fantasy.
Other than that, I got nothing.
Current Projects: On hold indefinitely.
I do the Twitter thing now: https://twitter.com/MistressSaeko (expect lots of game streaming announcements)
Mistress of the RHDN Discord server.

Reiska

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 04:22:24 am »
FF Record Keeper is quite good and is also very free-to-play friendly.  Final Fantasy Dimensions is also quite good and feels largely like a spiritual sequel to FF5.

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 04:55:53 am »
I third FFRK.

Whatever you do, stay away from all the Kemco RPGs. They are like RPGMaker 2000 games someone threw together in a weekend.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 10:30:04 am »
There's a few.
-Dragon Quest IV-VI are straight ports of the DS versions, except IV has restored party chat.  The design choice of no landscape may sound odd but it's actually well done even for tablet.  FF III and IV are also DS ports, and you have the first release of Romancing SaGa 2.  I liked FFV actually, but not VI.  Square's quality can be hit-or-miss on the rest (especially for the price) however, and I'm pretty sure of this list only DQIV-VI and FFIII and V don't have dumb online-only DRM.
-Beamdog's ports of Infinity Engine titles are actually pretty good, but are best with a tablet screen.  All versions are of the update before 2.0 hit for Baldur's Gate 1/2 and all the Beamdog-only content is optional IAP.  Forget about modding though.
-Trese Brothers has some neat things like space traders and strategy games if that's your thing.  They are usually at least part RPG, and you can even get something like Shadowrun.
-Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is available in various forms.  It seems they've stopped development on the tiles-only APK, so WebTiles is probably the best way to go for that version (obviously this is online only).  If you're not crazy about wacky keyboard antics, try checking out Pixel Dungeon or Guild of Dungeoneering.
-Pathfinder Adventures is actually really good if you don't mind cards.  Say goodbye to 20 bucks though.
-Kairosoft's sims often delve into RPG settings, but that may not be your thing.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 09:27:01 pm by Chronosplit »

tvtoon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 10:31:52 am »
I totally diverge, FF Record Keeper is a waste of time and effort and not what you want from a mobile game, unless you have some bizarre "NOW LOADING" fetish. I uninstalled it after realizing that I wasted more time waiting than playing. Had it not been like that, it would be a good FF game for Android.

I do recommend FF All the Bravest: it is fast, active, got good music from the series and will not waste your time with bullshit. The only downside is that you must pay to unveil the game completely (other realms, heroes).

Check also: Final Taptasy (tap-o-matic, downside is the advertisement-based stuff to get anything good), Minute Dungeon/Frontier/Quest (simple and clean, totally offline), Gurk series (if you like Ultima and the like), Exitium (very interesting dungeon crawler, with a Mana series look), Zenonia series, Dungeon Madness (nethack and stuff), Gods War series. Maybe Magic Rush and the stupid Taichi Panda series will make your day. :D

I also do not agree about Kemco games, except for the lastest releases (2015 on), and despite most being just clones of former ones, there are good ones that can serve as a linear RPG.

If you are not afraid of japanese, check also Gailardia series and Studio Lin games. ;)

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 11:24:16 am »
No love for FF Dimensions? As in, an actual RPG and not just something about battling and grinding?

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 11:30:50 am »
No love for FF Dimensions? As in, an actual RPG and not just something about battling and grinding?
Dimensions is a great original title especially if you're into the job system.  It doesn't seem to work on every device these days unfortunately, the usual no updates. :P
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 11:40:01 am by Chronosplit »

NERV Agent

• Restricted Access
  • Eva Unit 01
    • View Profile
    • Watch my anime shitposts on YouTube! Smell them, too!
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 06:22:59 pm »
There is a 3D version of "Final Fantasy IV: The After Years" on Android. Haven't beaten it yet, though. :(

shadowmanwkp

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2016, 04:19:12 am »
I do recommend FF All the Bravest: it is fast, active, got good music from the series and will not waste your time with bullshit. The only downside is that you must pay to unveil the game completely (other realms, heroes).

That's the most positive I've ever seen anybody about FF:ATB. The game is ridiculous: just swipe along the characters and see them do things, that's it. No tactics, no items, just swipe along to win, and if one of them gets killed you get a 5 min. downtime. The cherry on the pie is that the DLC characters are acquired totally randomly. Want Cloud from FF7? Well open some random boxes, because he might be the first character you unlock, or the 50th. I mostly see the game as a prime example of how not to do IAPs, totally shallow.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 04:31:39 am by shadowmanwkp »

MegaManJuno

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Robot Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2016, 10:08:41 am »
The Android remake of Final Fantasy Adventure was pretty decent. Way more faithful to the original than the Sword of Mana "remake".

A.D.R.I.A.N

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 03:11:02 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions!  ;)
Currently, I'm playing FFD. It's a very good game.
As for Kemco RPGs, i stayed away from then. They lack charm.
Any suggestions about RPGs better than Kemco's?

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2016, 10:23:16 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions!  ;)
Currently, I'm playing FFD. It's a very good game.
As for Kemco RPGs, i stayed away from then. They lack charm.
Any suggestions about RPGs better than Kemco's?
Talking about the SRPG side you'll probably enjoy Templar Assault and Templar Battleforce.

LivingfortheNight

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2016, 01:54:18 pm »
FF Dimensions had realllllly cool battle music, it definitely felt like old SNES FF. Didn't blow me away but i enjoyed it.

If you don't have a PS2 anymore, DQVIII is on Android and while not a perfect port (voice and orchestra soundtrack is gone) very well done and to be able to play this beautiful game on the go is something special.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2016, 09:49:08 am »
If you don't have a PS2 anymore, DQVIII is on Android and while not a perfect port (voice and orchestra soundtrack is gone) very well done and to be able to play this beautiful game on the go is something special.
I was once against DQVIII because of those things it took out, but after seeing what they're doing with the 3DS port in localization it isn't such a bad tradeoff.  You can get some slowdown depending on device but there's almost always none, and it uses the same UI as the DS ports of DQ so it works out pretty well.

It's just too bad that VII only got localized on 3DS, you can pick up the Japanese version of VII on Google Play though.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 10:29:41 am by Chronosplit »

jink640

• From nuggets to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2016, 09:20:23 am »
Amazon gave me "Doom and Destiny" for free. Its alright.

RandomHeretic

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2016, 02:33:54 pm »
Comment removed.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 02:42:29 am by RandomHeretic »

LivingfortheNight

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2016, 04:25:35 pm »
the android DS emulator is fantastic. i wouldnt really recommend it on a phone, but on a tablet it almost feels like the games were designed for it. for instance the touch/stylus features translate perfectly.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2016, 11:02:17 pm »
Technically not Android games, but I've got a few emus that seem to work well: nesoid, snesoid, genoid, gbcoid and gbaoid.

Lots of -oids.
These are really oudated by now though.  Most can do better (especially GBA, since that was based on a PSP emulator that has better alternatives on the PSP.)

I kinda like going this way:
SNES9x EX+ (It's what is as of weeks ago the version before latest of SNES9x for free with no ads.  Bingo.)
Anything with .Emu except Neo (these cost a little bit, but it's usually well worth it and it uses nice quality emulation at the core.  Except for Neo, it's garbage.  There are much older versions for free in the store compiled by someone else, I don't typically recommend them but...)
MyBoy (crappier accuracy for GBA but it can link cable and tilt, works better on slower machines besides.  Free version has ads but the paid version costs about as much as gba.emu, blegh.)
ePSXe For Android (keep in mind, you'll be putting ISOs on your device/SD Card for this and they tend to be huge.  Still this is ePSXe's latest without any plugin fuckery outside of possibly the optional hi-res plugin.)
aFBA (a few versions off by now, but it's by far the most recent arcade thing on the platform save possibly RA.)
DraStic
PPSSPP

RetroArch also covers about everything for free, but the UI's kinda meh.  Plus the others tend to be better optimized depending on device.  Try RA first, but I didn't end up a fan.

Oh, and uh... you'll want a gamepad for anything not turn based.  Trust me.  You can wing it for a few games like maybe Sonic otherwise (ePSXe's D-Pad actually ain't all that bad), but touchscreen pads in general just can't perform well.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 11:40:25 pm by Chronosplit »

A.D.R.I.A.N

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2016, 08:02:38 am »
These are really oudated by now though.  Most can do better (especially GBA, since that was based on a PSP emulator that has better alternatives on the PSP.)

I kinda like going this way:
SNES9x EX+ (It's what is as of weeks ago the version before latest of SNES9x for free with no ads.  Bingo.)
Anything with .Emu except Neo (these cost a little bit, but it's usually well worth it and it uses nice quality emulation at the core.  Except for Neo, it's garbage.  There are much older versions for free in the store compiled by someone else, I don't typically recommend them but...)
MyBoy (crappier accuracy for GBA but it can link cable and tilt, works better on slower machines besides.  Free version has ads but the paid version costs about as much as gba.emu, blegh.)
ePSXe For Android (keep in mind, you'll be putting ISOs on your device/SD Card for this and they tend to be huge.  Still this is ePSXe's latest without any plugin fuckery outside of possibly the optional hi-res plugin.)
aFBA (a few versions off by now, but it's by far the most recent arcade thing on the platform save possibly RA.)
DraStic
PPSSPP

RetroArch also covers about everything for free, but the UI's kinda meh.  Plus the others tend to be better optimized depending on device.  Try RA first, but I didn't end up a fan.

Oh, and uh... you'll want a gamepad for anything not turn based.  Trust me.  You can wing it for a few games like maybe Sonic otherwise (ePSXe's D-Pad actually ain't all that bad), but touchscreen pads in general just can't perform well.
Ok then, thanks for the info.
But what you're talking about MyBoy has "crappy" accuracy?
Oh, and don't worry, i'm using my tablet keyboard to play emulators  :).