News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Dancing Mad - Final Fantasy VI MSU-1 Hack for Higan and SD2SNES - Public Beta  (Read 5673 times)

Insidious611

• View Profile
The test I just did was with a standard .smc file, as I mentioned. The installer is coded to work on all possible SNES formats, at least the ones that use only one file. It should work on .sfcs, .figs, .bins, and .smcs among many others, headered or no (it'll strip the header if it has one).

The reason it defaults to .sfc is because .sfc is what you should be using 90% of the time these days.

Madsiur

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • FF6 hacker
    • View Profile
I wonder which thing I did that messed it up before. Is the Installer not compatible with .smc files or something? Why does the image locator use .sfc as the default format?

You know you don't have to download 103 songs each time you want to patch the ROM? If you got all songs, just put a vanilla ROM in your folder and use the IPS file included in the source folder or maybe it was in the source folder available on Github...

I had a problem with the installer always throwing an exception at the time to patch the ROM so this is what I've done.

Insidious611

• View Profile
It's concerning to me that I'm just learning now that people are having problems with the patching process. That shouldn't be possible and it hasn't ever happened on my end. The only thing I can think of is please make sure you're using a clean, verified ROM and that it's not set read only or something.

Please report bugs like this on the GitHub and attach installer logs. The installer logs every action it does, including the patching process and any python exceptions, for a reason.

I'd rather people not patch the IPS themselves especially if they're using TWUE. It's easier for my debugging purposes if I can rely on the installer's integrity checking routines to make sure everyone running this patch is using an identical ROM. IPS patchers have no such integrity checks.

The only thing I can think of other than permissions issues or such is that maybe my routine for stripping copier headers isn't working right, I haven't tested that since Alpha since my copy is dumped sans header.

That's yet another reason I dont want people patching the IPS themselves unless they're absolutely certain what they're doing by the way. If you patch a headered ROM with this without stripping the header, behavior is utterly undefined. My routines can detect and remove headers, or should be able to anyway.

My other tip to anyone having installer issues is to try running the installer as administrator. This shouldn't be necessary but the "AttributeError" mentioned makes me believe this may be a file permissions error and generally the the Administrator user is not subject to these limitations.

Also be sure you have full write access to your destination directory.

March 25, 2018, 08:23:35 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Also, it's worth noting that I'm considering including a "download no songs" preset option in the installer soon, but that for now going to custom and setting each track to "Do Not Download" will skip downloading that track entirely, and you can select that for all tracks. This is useful for patch upgrades or reinstalls, but it will still require you to feed it a clean ROM that matches crc.

Restrictions on ROMs accepted by the installer are likely to lift once I've confirmed this patch works on other ROMs than US 1.0. I have had no chance to test this hack against J or US 1.1 yet.

One situation in which I *would* encourage patching the IPS yourself atm is if you're using a patch requiring ExHiROM in which case the current master on github needs your testing, especially on SD2SNES. Am not comfortable putting this one into the installer until I've thoroughly checked it works properly.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 08:32:43 am by Insidious611 »

Spooniest

• View Profile
Rodimus said in his thread just today I think...

TWUE uses an unheadered rom as a base. So perhaps feeding a headered rom into Dancing Mad was a mistake, if I were going to apply TWUE as well.

... Perhaps I'm late to this party. I'll shut up now. :)

edale

• View Profile
Just noticed I forgot to post these to this thread when I was spreading them around a week or so ago.

All the versions of the Opera converted to work with the Dancing Mad MSU-1 patch so far:

View at 720p/60 to listen without an audio fidelity decrease from Youtube's re-encoding, text is the updated opera text from TWUE 2.0:

Final Fantasy VI Original Sound Version Remastered album's version of the Opera:
https://youtu.be/TCyd8STWwtE
This is currently included in the Dancing Mad MSU-1 mod under the OST listing.
There's a slight fidelity increase, but overall you might as well use the SPC audio, it sounds the same.

Game Music Concert 4's version of the Opera:
https://youtu.be/4xo5oQWjXP8
This is the one currently included in the Dancing Mad MSU-1 mod under the OTH listing.

The Black Mages' version of the Opera:
https://youtu.be/pqk7bKMCPj8
https://mega.nz/#!KJRGVKKK!7z_LdxBntuB7EoXA2Z42dN-XO8eokvWH8Ny9PkuUPsY
This is probably my favorite version of the opera for multiple reasons.
-The narration is voiced, although it's too fast to be matched up to the on-screen lyrics.
-When racing to Ultros, the battle between Ralse and Draco, complete with spoken dialog, continues.
-The Black Mages is led by the lead music designer from FFVI.
-First version of the Opera to ever be released in its entirety, allowing fans to find out how it was supposed to end if Ultros/Setzer didn't interfere.
-Electric Guitar. Enough said.

More Friends: Music from Final Fantasy album's version of the Opera:
https://youtu.be/aM407Oxzsew
https://mega.nz/#!nYREHQTL!FuvrBjtOhUOChpa8KeAonCukCRtYG9NZzNu0uDPBsIE
-English.

Distant Worlds version of the Opera:
https://youtu.be/dIn5t4TGv3w
https://mega.nz/#!CUR2iLRb!X2H5KQVbq6_dqGmE6KveKvf_UGNfVVRYAUYezdjjRw0
-English.

If anyone knows of another performance of the FULL Opera (not just the Aria) that I haven't converted, let me know.

Insidious611

• View Profile
Hi all! I want to apologize for the fact bug fixing has been slow lately but also let you guys know that's probably going to continue for a while. I decided to head back to college and started a couple months ago, so my time to spend on this has been limited. Rest assured I *am* paying attention to all bug reports coming in and am brainstorming fixes, if not actually putting code to file atm.

edale

• View Profile
So it was brought to Insidious and my attention that Sean Schafianski (SSC option in the installer) actually had a partially completed Disk 2 for his remaster.
https://soundcloud.com/sschafi1/sets/ongoing-final-fantasy-vi-remastered-soundtrack-disc-2

The tracks will probably be added with the next hotfix Insidious releases, but in the meanwhile, here they are:
https://mega.nz/#!SVYyyCxR!9nb0okEsbo3N0-e-zSd2ynjqs-FcBfFs1yaCkIVhpyQ

In particular the version of Another World of Beasts is amazing.

Insidious611

• View Profile
Just a small update. I've gotten potential fixes for most of the current known issues implemented, but I'm awaiting either someone providing a save just before the first Shadow's past cutscene or having the time to reach this point in the game myself so that I can properly test one of said bugs.

The "fix" for the shadow cutscene bug (where the town music continues to play) and the "select a scenario" scene bug (where the previous music continues to play on the scene where you pick which scenario to play through) is the same, and it's a fairly heavy handed one. These scenes rely on the previous music having faded down to zero so that silence is playing. As the fading code hasn't yet been merged in, the only temporary fix to this is to look for the "fade to zero" call and immediately mute the volume entirely. This will result in tracks which call for fadeouts suddenly cutting to silence where they wouldn't have before, with one of the notable instances of this being at the end of Dancing Mad Part 3 before the transition to Part 4.

I consider this a bit of a regression, honestly, but it's imo unavoidable as a temporary workaround. Due to this regression, however, I'm considering providing an option in the installer to use a different version of the patch that lacks this workaround. This will still have music when there should be silence in the shadow cutscenes and the "select your scenario" menu, but it won't have these sudden audio cuts, so it's a tradeoff.

That said, with the help of madsiur, a final version with the fading implemented is not far off at all, so I wouldn't blame you if you were to decide to skip this upcoming Hotfix Three and simply wait for the final release. I'm excited we may soon be able to call this project officially finished!

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
Just a small update. I've gotten potential fixes for most of the current known issues implemented, but I'm awaiting either someone providing a save just before the first Shadow's past cutscene or having the time to reach this point in the game myself so that I can properly test one of said bugs.

The "fix" for the shadow cutscene bug (where the town music continues to play) and the "select a scenario" scene bug (where the previous music continues to play on the scene where you pick which scenario to play through) is the same, and it's a fairly heavy handed one. These scenes rely on the previous music having faded down to zero so that silence is playing. As the fading code hasn't yet been merged in, the only temporary fix to this is to look for the "fade to zero" call and immediately mute the volume entirely. This will result in tracks which call for fadeouts suddenly cutting to silence where they wouldn't have before, with one of the notable instances of this being at the end of Dancing Mad Part 3 before the transition to Part 4.

I consider this a bit of a regression, honestly, but it's imo unavoidable as a temporary workaround. Due to this regression, however, I'm considering providing an option in the installer to use a different version of the patch that lacks this workaround. This will still have music when there should be silence in the shadow cutscenes and the "select your scenario" menu, but it won't have these sudden audio cuts, so it's a tradeoff.

That said, with the help of madsiur, a final version with the fading implemented is not far off at all, so I wouldn't blame you if you were to decide to skip this upcoming Hotfix Three and simply wait for the final release. I'm excited we may soon be able to call this project officially finished!

Glad you're keeping up with this. I have to make a TWUE version 2.01 to iron out some typos that I missed. That along with updating one of Leet Sketcher's patches. I've been watching someone stream on Twitch and she's got a good eye for it.