News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: SMB2 Cherries-to-Coins Hack now in the works  (Read 4897 times)

RetroRain

• View Profile
SMB2 Cherries-to-Coins Hack now in the works
« on: October 22, 2016, 05:02:55 pm »
Several years ago, DahrkDaiz made a Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA) hack, in which he changed all the cherries to coins, to behave more like the other Mario games.

Apparently, from what people have said, the hack is no longer around.  So, unless someone who has it comes forth with it, it is one of those "lost" hacks.

I had someone requesting me to remake it, and I believe there are a few others that have an interest in this kind of hack.

I'm in the beginning phases of my next project, but I suppose I could postpone it and do this hack, since I don't imagine it would take too long, or be that hard to do.

However, I need some input.

How should I do this?

For instance, in the original game, I think it was 7 cherries that gave you a star.  If I turn the cherries to coins, then I would no longer make the coins give you a star.  Instead, I would make 100 coins give you a 1-up, like in other Mario games.

- However, since there are not going to be anywhere near 100 cherries in a level, I would have to come down on that number.  More like between 10-20 coins (cherries) would give you a 1-up.

- And if I do that, how would you get the star?

- Also, would the new coins be allowed to be used for the bonus chance game?  Or would they be seperate from the coins you collect from the ground?

- Or do I decide to let the 7 coins still give you a star, not make them count towards the bonus chance, and simply have beween 10-20 of them give you a 1up?

I don't know how DahrkDaiz did this back then (I don't even remember playing it to be honest with you), but if I'm going to re-create it, I could use some feedback on how it should be.

Also, do you guys mind if I tag this hack with a title (adding text, my name, and year on the titlescreen), or do you prefer this to just be a simple patch that does a simple conversion, so you can use this as a base for your hacks?

I need your feedback.  And the higher the quantity of people that want this hack, makes it more feasable for me to do.  If only one or two people want this hack, I'd rather not waste my time, since I have other projects to do, and my time is limited as it is.

Your thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 03:21:55 am by Rockman »

MathUser2929

• View Profile
Re: Need your input regarding the "SMB2 Cherries-to-Coins" Hack
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 07:22:35 pm »
If I were you I would use the shells bounce hack I submitted along with it and call it something like extra marioization or classic gameplay or something. I don't know how you could fit stars in aside from putting them in plants. I could live without the bonus game tho, never was my favorite part of the game. Maybe 25 would be a good number for coins needed? You should make coins you get from plants count too.

RetroRain

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 07:50:05 pm »
There needs to be an interest in this hack in order for me to do it.  It's not like it's a totally hard hack for anyone to do anyway.  I'd feel better doing a request if there's a lot of interest in it, because of my limited time and the fact that I have my own projects to do.

As I see it, since you're making the cherries into coins, the RAM address for Cherries will now be your Coin address, unless of course you're deciding to use the actual coins instead, in which case you just replace the cherries address with the coin address.  You just have to change the counts for the stars, if any, or NOP it out to get rid of it, change the cherry sound effects to the coin sound effects, replace the graphics and change the colors for the cherries, and maybe make a couple of other small ASM changes.

I'll leave this thread here until November 1st.  If there's enough replies and people want it, I'll do it.   Otherwise, I'm just going to forget about it.  Sorry.

So if you want this hack, reply to this thread.

RandomHeretic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 09:23:16 pm »
Comment removed.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 02:36:13 am by RandomHeretic »

RetroRain

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 09:41:58 pm »
Yeah, in the hack, there are 2 types of coins.  The coins that you pick up from the ground, and the ones that were once cherries, and they operate independently from each other.  It is unclear if getting a certain amount of coins would trigger the star, like the cherries did.  If by some chance the coins didn't weild a star, any ideas on how else the player could obtain a star?

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind doing this hack, but as I stated above, there are so many different ways to go about doing it, and I don't want to make a hack that nobody cares about.  The more people are interested in it, the more it makes sense to make it.  Because anybody with a little bit of ASM skill could do it themselves.

I think one of the most interesting hacks done to SMB2 (USA) was the bouncing turtle shell.  That was a great idea, whoever did that. :)

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 10:07:25 pm »
Ugetab did that. I'm the one who requested he do it actually. He made it for gamehacking.org, a cheat code website. I submitted it to the site as a patch for him.

RandomHeretic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 01:01:32 am »
Comment removed.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 02:36:32 am by RandomHeretic »

MagusLOGS

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 06:35:12 am »
I would like to see this hack being created because of the Coin sound and graphic. It may also promote people to do some new level hacks based on the Cherry/Coin changes.

Staying true to the Mario formula would probably be the best decision and if its possible then maybe changing the Coins in the Shadow World (or what ever it is) to Red Coins.

100 Coins = 1 Life
Red Coins = Bonus Chance Game

The Coins on the ground aren't needed in my opinion. Maybe replacing them with Blue Coins and if you collect 10 of them you get a Star.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 09:24:47 am »
The coins on the ground being blue coins isn't that good an idea. I'd personally skip going into subworlds if all I could earn was a star. I'd still get the mushrooms but beyond that I wouldn't use a door potion.

MagusLOGS

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 09:44:58 am »
I forgot that there aren't any Cherries in the Shadow World, my fault (haven't played the game in long time).

Forget what i wrote about the Blue Coins.

Edit: I watched some gameplay on YouTube to get my memories of the cherry/coin system of SMB2 back. :cookie:

Like i said earlier, this Hack would be nice if the Cherries are replaced by Coins and the Black Cherries in the Shadow World by Red Coins (if possible), make the Red Coins count toward the Bonus Game and not the Coins you grab from the ground. I would remove the Coins you get from the ground but its all up to you.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 05:11:42 pm by MagusLOGS »

zacmario

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2016, 11:59:04 am »
i'd like to see it.
20-25 in overworld, for one -up. if coin count is not reset between levels go for a 100.
sub world still for bonus, red coin or whatever.
put the star in the plants.

RetroRain

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2016, 04:54:29 pm »
I'll make the hack, but it's going to be a while actually.  I have a lot of school work to do, and then there's my annoying job, and I'm halfway done with a small hack which I want to get done first, so that I can put that game behind me.  So, it may be a few weeks before I do this hack, but it is the next hack on my list. ;)

A few potential names I have for the hack are:

SMB2: COIN EDITION (will most likely use this one)
SMB2: RETURN OF THE COINS
SMB2: POPPED CHERRIES (just kidding on this one)
SMB2: THE COINS OF SUBCON

Or I could leave my credentials off of the titlescreen, and just keep them in the readme, for anyone that would rather not have the titllescreen messed with.  I haven't decided yet.  Please weigh in what you prefer.

And in the meantime, feel free to post any ideas or suggestions you might have.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2016, 05:38:04 pm »
Sounds like a cool idea!

Hmm, for the coins you pull out of the ground for the bonus game.... maybe something like a little gold mario head, a fire flower, or maybe a Yoshi's egg or something would make a good replacement?

Golden Turnips maybe? I was going to say a Star would work well, but those are already in the game...

Hell, maybe just using the cherry graphic for the Bonus Game Coins would work as a replacement that isn't coin-based.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

MagusLOGS

• View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2016, 05:58:49 pm »
No need to hurry with this Hack. I plan on doing something with the Coins in the future so your work is appreciated. :thumbsup: It doesn't matter to me with the title screen. The Coins on the ground could maybe be replaced with a time clock which increases the time in the Shadow World so you have more time collecting the Red Coins.

drunkenjesus

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2016, 10:45:47 pm »
I think the best way to go about it without changing the gameplay too much would be to make the star take the place of the stopwatch you can pull from the ground and double the amount of coins necessary but make the coins count towards a 1UP instead of a star.  Taking away the stopwatch makes it more in line with other mario games because as far as I know the only 2d mario that power up appears in is mario 2.  IIRC the stopwatch is useful at points but I don't think it's located in any sections where you need to jump on enemies to cross gaps so having a star instead wouldn't doom you.  Multiple cherries are located in some digging & crowded areas where the star is pretty useful but not really necessary, and seeing as this is intended as a base for other hacks people can throw a star in similar sections to compensate. Bonus games & red coins reappear in mario 3, yoshi's island, and the new 2.5 releases so altering them in any way doesn't really make sense.

RetroRain

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2016, 11:42:22 pm »
Replacing the stop watch is actually a good idea.  If I recall correctly, there is a counter in the game, that depending on how many enemies you have killed, the stop watch would show up upon pulling a vegetable out of the ground.

I could change that counter and make it so that when you killed something like 7 to 10 enemies (just throwing some numbers out there), when you go to grab the vegetable, the star would bounce out of it, and then you'd have to catch it, just like in other Mario games! :)

drunkenjesus

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2016, 12:51:36 am »
Hmm I'm not sure about that, from running through the game quite a bit as a kid I think all the ground objects are static(besides entering the dark world twice in the same area which makes the red coins mini-turnips) unlike mario 1 where a coin counter triggers some things I do know that the enemy counter triggers the little heart/health refill that pops up, switching that and the star is a possibility as well

RetroRain

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2016, 03:27:47 pm »
We'll see.  I'll take a look at it when the time comes. :)

I was thinking though, that if this is more than a mere "coin" hack, to make it more in line with other Mario games, perhaps Coin Edition would be an inappropriate name for the hack.

Maybe something like "Traditional Plumber's Edition" or "Standard Mario Edition", or something of that nature.

Personally, one of the things I always wanted in SMB2 was the ability to throw fire balls.  But something like that would be a bit tricky to do.  I actually looked into doing that once before, but I have gained a lot more experience since then.  So, we'll see what happens. :)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 03:34:56 pm by Rockman »

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2016, 04:07:47 pm »
"Plumber Approved"  :thumbsup:
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

RetroRain

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2016, 12:48:12 pm »
I might be getting to work on this sooner than I thought.  The current project I'm working on, even though it is halfway done, I am losing interest in it.  More so because the damn ROM has no free space in the hardwired bank, which is a real turn off.  I've been putting all of my code in SRAM, and truthfully I just want to wash my hands of it already.  I want this hack to be done, but it is becoming "not fun" anymore, if you know what I mean.  Like, I just don't even want to be bothered with it anymore, even though I believe it is a quality hack worth making.  So, I might just start this SMB2 hack.  Hopefully tomorrow or Saturday if time permits.

Also, I've decided on the name for this hack:

Super Mario Bros. 2 - Standard Mario Edition
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 12:55:56 pm by Rockman »